What's new

How do various RT-N66 builds rank for performance/security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbb0777

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying to gather the differences - is this accurate? It seems like there's an almost linear trade-off of performance for security.

Best security, worst wireless performance

• .Most recent Merlin Version
  • .374.43 Merlin Fork
  • .374.35-sdk5 Merlin
  • .270.26b Merlin (only compatible with original hardware version) or .276.xx - same performance maybe...yet .270 is mentioned more than .276 so I don't know.

Worst security, best wireless performance

Er...is the above list generally accurate / has the most important builds?

I just received/started researching/flashing this morning, after receiving an RT-N66. Gosh darn, I thought this would be as simple as downloading the newest version of Merlin.

Edit - maybe add my own experience thus far that led me on this:

• .372.31 Merlin (accidentally grabbed this one) - good, not quite as amazing as I'd expected from the N66, but I'm pretty happy overall.
  • .376.45 Merlin - With this, the 2.4ghz performance was arguably rivaled by my $20 TP-Link. Not OK.
  • .374.35 SDK5 Merlin - MUCH better than .376.45, unsure if better than accidentally-flashed .372.31. Seems like it, though maybe that's in head. Newer version either way, so sticking with it for the presumably better security.

Last edited:
I can vouch that 270.26b has been the best wireless performer for me on my N66U. I've went through .374.40, .372.31, most recently and found this to be solid as a rock.

I can vouch that 270.26b has been the best wireless performer for me on my N66U. I've went through .374.40, .372.31, most recently and found this to be solid as a rock.

Thanks. Can I ask where you downloaded 270.26b from?

Also - why did you opt for 270.26b instead of .276? I've read several times they're almost the same, except .276 is compatible with the 2nd hadrware revision. Yet, it seems like .270 is mentioned far more as the best...

Last edited:
Thanks. Can I ask where you downloaded 270.26b from?

Also - why did you opt for 270.26b instead of .276? I've read several times they're almost the same, except .276 is compatible with the 2nd hadrware revision. Yet, it seems like .270 is mentioned far more as the best...
No real reason. I'm sure .276 would've worked as well. I just happen to come across it one day, and it was a merlin build, so I installed it and it worked well ever since.

No real reason. I'm sure .276 would've worked as well. I just happen to come across it one day, and it was a merlin build, so I installed it and it worked well ever since.

Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
270.26b build was ultimately removed because it's not compatible with the RT-N66U revision currently sold, and would brick your router. Use one of the SDK5 builds instead, it has the same driver, and is compatible with the latest HW revisions.

According to your post, you are using RT-N66U.. You are now using 270.26b?
I would like to test it also with the solid stable firmware but according to RMerlin, it will brick the hardware.
My hardware is RT-N66U B1

Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
270.26b build was ultimately removed because it's not compatible with the RT-N66U revision currently sold, and would brick your router. Use one of the SDK5 builds instead, it has the same driver, and is compatible with the latest HW revisions.

According to your post, you are using RT-N66U.. You are now using 270.26b?
I would like to test it also with the solid stable firmware but according to RMerlin, it will brick the hardware.
My hardware is RT-N66U B1

I'm using B1, yes. AFAIK, the newer/current model being sold is a B2. My version is safe to use the older FWs and I have absolutely no issues running .270.26b on my version.

I use 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 that is in the SDK5 driver folder.

Wireless is excellent and I have not had one client drop or had to reboot router in 40 days (and counting).

Attachments

• days.JPG
    days.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 308
I use 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 that is in the SDK5 driver folder.

Wireless is excellent and I have not had one client drop or had to reboot router in 40 days (and counting).

I guess it depends on what's connected to your network. Not every device I had played well, but it ended up being related to the router and not the devices. I mentioned this in another thread but I'll note here, but here were my experiences with recent versions:

.374.40 (SDK6) - WGA600N adapter was dropping connection after a certain amount of time (hours, days) for no reason. It would appear connected, but no traffic would move through it. All other devices were fine. Reconnecting fixed the issue, but only for a while.

.372.31 (SDK5) - I downgraded to this from the SDK6 version above. WGA600N issues were gone, but now my older HTC Incredible 2 was having a similar issue (and I remembered when I was around this version a long time ago, I had the same issue with this device). The phone would randomly disconnect after a period of time with no traffic going through it (it still showed as connected). Same resolution - reconnecting fixed it for a while.

.270.26b (SDK5, current) - Downgraded from the one above and my current favorite version. Both the WGA600N and HTC issues are gone. Other devices are still solid. I remember when I first got this router, a FW around this version was on it and I had no issues. I was looking for either .270 or .276, but came across the .270 version from merlin and favored his over stock.

My lesson I learned was, upgrading does NOT always mean more stability or performance. After going from old/stock, to newer, back to near stock version, and noticing consistent issues with certain devices, I'm sticking with this. :D I only use it as a WAP, so I don't need special features.

Last edited:
I agree that upgrading has it's teething problems.

But what is undeniable is that the security issues fixed are more important than the slight performance benefit an older version may offer.

The issues with certain client devices I see as their issue, not the router's or the firmware. But I can see how that would be a frustrating viewpoint to a user. :)

I agree that upgrading has it's teething problems.

But what is undeniable is that the security issues fixed are more important than the slight performance benefit an older version may offer.

Teething implies short-term problems, while this is a permanent performance loss on all firmwares > X.

It's also not a slight performance benefit; it's a > 10dbm degradation of signal strength on the latest firmwares. At that point, on 2.4ghz, my (highly rated, but still) $20 TP-Link can match its performance in my setup.

Last edited:
Measured signal strength doesn't translate to real world very well. Throughput is all that matters in the end.

I agree a permanent performance loss seems to be unavoidable right now and I too briefly switched to the 374.43 fork when the 376.44 firmware became available.

Now, I am using the 376.47 version and whatever issues plagued the .44 release have been solved in mine and my customers environments. Sure, not the heady peaks of the SDK5-em based firmware, but the world has moved on and when I'm connecting my equipment to the world, security takes precedence, not ultimate performance.

True, throughput is what matters in the end. For me though, the loss of >10 dbm meant I didn't *have* a connection in one important area, so it was infinitely worse throughput. I also experienced degrading throughput in high-signal areas, for some reason.

>security takes precedence, not ultimate performance.

Then trade all your performance for perfect security, by unplugging the ethernet cable from the router!

Anyway, my argument is just that it's a trade-off, and both matter. For you, the trade off is such that you prefer the latest firmware. I imagine that's especially true when dealing with customers. But not everyone values this (seeming) performance/security tradeoff exactly the same as you.

In my own situation, using the 2nd-to-latest firmware meant the N66 performance was so bad, it wasn't even worth keeping. Better to sell it, go back to my $20 TP-Link for now, and research a different router.

"376.47 version and whatever issues plagued the .44 release have been solved in mine and my customers environments."

Good to know, thanks. I may end up trying that one some time.

Last edited:
correction:

The tradeoff for me is such that I value security more. That just happens to come with the latest firmware though. :)

The number one thing to keep in mind is that the internet has and never will be in a static state. Continual firmware upgrades are a reality for anything I've seen that can connect to a public network.

As soon as such an important network component like a router (exposed to the world) stops receiving updates. Time for a current one.

I value security as well.

However many family members have been complaining about the WiFi performance since I installed 374_38 (and 39, 40, 41, 42, 42, 45, 47). They don't read these forums or know when I upgrade the firmware - but all feel the WiFi coverage is much worse....

So I have gone back to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 which seems much better.

I need to review the change log to see what security issues might be there - but in my case I am not using any of the advanced features of the router or Merlin firmware.

If the firewall (IPv4 & IPv6) and WPA connections to clients are secure what else should I be concerned about.

(I should also say with _47 it works great - but jusn't have the WiFi range when we first bought the router over out 1 acre property)

I value security as well.

However many family members have been complaining about the WiFi performance since I installed 374_38 (and 39, 40, 41, 42, 42, 45, 47). They don't read these forums or know when I upgrade the firmware - but all feel the WiFi coverage is much worse....

So I have gone back to 3.0.0.4.374.35_4-sdk5 which seems much better.

I need to review the change log to see what security issues might be there - but in my case I am not using any of the advanced features of the router or Merlin firmware.

If the firewall (IPv4 & IPv6) and WPA connections to clients are secure what else should I be concerned about.

(I should also say with _47 it works great - but jusn't have the WiFi range when we first bought the router over out 1 acre property)

The wireless range is what the wireless driver from Asus provides, and is entirely outside of my control. It's well known that the coverage dropped with recent changes from Asus, and they will most likely never get back to the previous levels. While there was never any official explanation, the most likely one is that following Netgear's complains that Asus' routers were emitting beyond the FCC validated power limitations, Asus were forced to reduce the output power.

At this point I feel like this is beating a dead horse, and quite honestly I'm tired of hearing the same complains over, and over, and over. This has been discussed for, what, two years now Time to let it rest. Older firmware versions are not safe to use, and a lot of bugs were fixed in addition to security holes.

So don't expect things to ever get back to their original range. You will have to enhance coverage using a repeater or an access point.

Personally I don't buy the fact that the SDK change itself was responsible alone - that SDK works fine for other routers, and output powers are determined at build time, not by the driver code itself. So if people really feel the need to still complain, go complain at Netgear.

Last edited: