What's new

How does a Router identify a Host?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobertWa

New Around Here
I tried to fool my router yesterday.
I thought the only thing how the router/switch is identify the hosts is the MAC Address but there must be something else.
The scenario was:
I connected a PC with my Router at Home. Now i went in the configurations of the router and set for this PC the permission for the internet to false. So the Host was not able to connect to the internet.
After that i changed the Mac Address of this PC and the host was still not able to reach a website in the internet.

So how does the router know that it is still the host with the limited permissions? Are there something like cookies with that the router can identify a host or how does this system work?
To mention is that the PC still had the same IP address even when i changed the MAC and DHCP was also activated.

I hope someone could help me i really want to know more.

Make sure you obtain a new DHCP lease on that PC.

You don't give enough details about your router, so we can't tell you how it identifies hosts. Could be by MAC, could be by IP, could be a special client installed on the PC... It depends on how it's implemented by that specific router.

Make sure you obtain a new DHCP lease on that PC.

You don't give enough details about your router, so we can't tell you how it identifies hosts. Could be by MAC, could be by IP, could be a special client installed on the PC... It depends on how it's implemented by that specific router.
Thanks for the quick reply.
The Router that i use is a Fritzbox 7360. But this Device is not really common international.