What's new

How many cable runs per room for new construction?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Switches are great to add client devices with, but they don't work so well when the highest speeds are also needed and 1Gbps ISP speeds are contending with LAN requirements too.
Huh? I have two switches on my network and easily get wired speeds in the upwards of 940mbps or better LAN to WAN, LAN to LAN hits around the same with zero issues. Hell, the 2.5gig switches are coming down in price. I would do a switch at those locations needing multiple wired before having a crapload of expensive wire ran that may never see 1’s and 0’d ever hit them.

@Greg72, but you're missing the point with those assumptions. I never said 4 runs to each room. A switch can't (as easily) provide WAN and LAN and/or a dedicated backhaul connection.

Even the 99.99% Wi-Fi future you envision will require wired APs for anything greater than about 500Mbps ISP service. MoCA is a far poorer choice than native Ethernet. Nobody is running coax cables in any new homes I've seen.

I wouldn't let a builder decide anything about Ethernet either. But a few extra runs to select locations with the highest quality cable a budget allows will give options that we can't imagine we need today.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!