What's new

How many more years can i expect R7800 to receive updates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikr

Regular Contributor
I bought r7800 about two years back and has been running voxels firmware almost from the beginning. It’s been rock solid (thanks @Voxel). From my understanding this router is 4 years old and netgear has stopped manufacturing it. So how many more years before it’s EOL. Is voxel still going to release bug fix builds once netgear EOL this router. I really Like this router and I think it can serve well for years t come, but I am concerned about software updates. I understand @Voxel is doing this voluntarily and he might move on, but if he keep creating builds and abandon this router, that'll break my heart :(

What I am trying to get to is, I switched to AC in 2019 right around the time AX cam out. I do not want to switch to AX right around WiFi7 comes out just because r7800 stopped receiving bug fixes. If I have to switch to AX I would rather do it now.

Thanks

I have no insider information. But it's unlikely you'll see any further updates from NETGEAR.

Support is a strong word when it comes to NG.
It's not like I can call them or email them for help with my 7800 (without paying). NG just released a new version of firmware for it.. The question I asked myself after sometime is if NG released any new version would I want to use it..what do they fix with it ..they don't say. What do they break with it...sometimes fundamental things..in either case after 90 days it's essentially unsupported unless you want to pay to report a bug or ask a question.

I have no insider information. But it's unlikely you'll see any further updates from NETGEAR.

Agree. Even the updates they have done over the last year have been horrible. If you want something even close to proper support and updates stay far away from Netgear.

Agree. Even the updates they have done over the last year have been horrible. If you want something even close to proper support and updates stay far away from Netgear.
Is Asus any better? I've read that with asuswrt Asus have common codebase for for most devices, which means frequent updates and faster bug fixes. But that dos not necessarily mean its better. I have my eye on AX86u.

I apologize for bringing up Asus in NG forum.

Is Asus any better? I've read that with asuswrt Asus have common codebase for for most devices, which means frequent updates and faster bug fixes. But that dos not necessarily mean its better. I have my eye on AX86u.

I apologize for bringing up Asus in NG forum.

I have owned some ASUS routers in the past (AC66U, AC3200), both were very good and I was very impressed with their regular software updates, even for older routers. Merlin's custom FW is really great as well.

Don't get me wrong, the R7800 is a very capable router and Voxel's firmware is the only reason I have kept both of mine so far, but had it not been for that, I would've sold them long ago. NG's support is terrible and each firmware update is buggier than the last. Don't expect any meaningful updates for the R7800 now.

Agreed 100%. I keep several r7800 only because of Voxel and Kong builds.
Its a time to move on from AC to Wifi-6 and Asus ax88 and ax86 is so much better options wise, faster and incredibly stable with Merlin builds and not as expensive as before with years of support.
I hope that Voxel can add new Netgear ax routers to his wonderful support line.

And do not forget of SnapShot versions for R7800 if you are bothering of the most recent updates for R7800.

R7800-V1.0.2.83.2SF.log

1. Upgrade OpenSSL 1.1.1j to OpenSSL 1.1.1k to fix CVE-2021-3449, CVE-2021-3450.
2. Add OpenSSL 1.1.1 conf file.
3. libxml2: fix CVE-2019-20388, CVE-2020-24977, CVE-2020-7595.
4. Upgrade curl to 7.76.0 to fix CVE-2021-22876, CVE-2021-22890.
5. unzip: add security patches.
6. ipset: Kernel modules optimization '-O3'.
7. Upgrade haveged to 1.9.14
8. Toolchain: add optimization patch to uClibc (slight boost).

Voxel.

It would be good. But it would costs me a time and money. NG does not provide me their routers for a free.

R7800 is still working good for me and my family. So no plans to discontinue its support.

Voxel

With the number of supporters you have, I am sure arrangements can be made to supply a new model Netgear router at no cost to you......

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!