What's new

How often should you power cycle?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RedBatman89

Regular Contributor
My friend asked me this the other day. Typically I do it weekly or bi weekly. But he says he does it once a month. So what is the recommend amount?

if everything runs smoothly, you have little reason to reboot. I'm now on almost 80 days uptime without a single issue. This isn't Windows

Agree there should be no reason to power cycle.

It all depends on your particular use case scenario and the behavior of your equipment.

I have a customer's RT-AC68U which reached over 310 days of uptime before an extended power outage caused it to be rebooted.

My friend asked me this the other day. Typically I do it weekly or bi weekly. But he says he does it once a month. So what is the recommend amount?
I never do it.

There is no "Recommended" power cycle time length. It's not really necessary to turn your device off just to give a rest from power. But I'm not saying it's a bad habit either. If you do it once a month then that's more than enough. And if you are doing it once a week, I would say it is too much.

Mine needs to be rebooted every 2-3 weeks. I have transmission running in background plus a set of quite active 20-30 devices, including IPTV, file servers, printers, and so on, with QoS and monitoring enabled.. and swapping enabled... with all of this the swapper file tends to start growing and the router reaches some instabilities after 2-3 weeks, usually not before the swap file usage reaches 30+ MB

I cycle when I install a new firmware.

I'm guessing you rarely power cycle Rmerlin?

My router rarely gets over a week of uptime due to flashing new test builds, so I'm not a good candidate.

Okay I think from now on I'll only power cycle when I have an issue or installing new firmware.

That has been my policy for several years, and it has been satisfactory.

I reboot my pfSense router when there are security oriented updates - pretty much the only time.

I have an RT-AC68U that only gets rebooted at firmware updates or extended power outages that my UPS can't bridge. Its supporting a large anime collection via BT, a web server, wifi home security, a NAS for data backup of all the computers on the network, VPN to work, and 15 total devices (wired and wireless). I have not seen any network performance degradation attributable to the RT-AC68U. I pretty much run the latest ASUS firmware.

i have it set for every day at 4am to clear the upnp issue i used to have where ports wouldnt clear for some absurd reason, kept it as habit now.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!