What's new

How to airprint from VPN router subnetwork to printer on main ISP router network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WebEd

New Around Here
I use a dedicated VPN router connected to my ISP router.
Is it possible to airprint from say an iPad on the VPN router network to an airprint printer on the ISP router network?

ISP network is 192.168.0.x, with a Brother wifi printer on IP 192.168.0.35
VPN network is 10.154.0.x
The VPN router is an InvizBox2, capable of several simultaneous VPN connections. 10.154.0.x 10.154.1.x, ....2.x etc.
Ideally the printer should be "shareable" between these.
The printer is not ping-able from any of the subnetworks.

Grateful for any suggestions

Based on my understanding of how the InviziBox works, that's a function of the InvizBox and how it's configured. Given it's a VPN router and intended to protect clients behind it from being routed outside the VPN, it sort of makes sense you don't have access. Although I suppose they could offer the option to access *local* networks upstream of the router for situations like this. That's just something they need to offer in the configuration options. And unfortunately I don't own a InviziBox in order to tell you if such an option exists.

That's one of the problems in using a commercial product vs. managing your own VPN router. You have to live within the limitations and assumptions of that product.

Even if you could gain access to the upstream local network, it's possible something like AirPrint relies on network discovery to work (I know Chromecast does). But network discovery *never* works across network boundaries. Access to AirPrint would require that you be able to specify its IP address directly in the client.

Given the above, it's always going to be better if *all* your clients are behind the InvizBox, so every device is on the same local network, then selectively route traffic over the VPN (if the InvizBox supports it).

Once you start splitting devices across multiple routers, that's when all the trouble begins. And if you're using commercial products to do it, they often leave you without good options.

I use a dedicated VPN router connected to my ISP router.
Is it possible to airprint from say an iPad on the VPN router network to an airprint printer on the ISP router network?

ISP network is 192.168.0.x, with a Brother wifi printer on IP 192.168.0.35
VPN network is 10.154.0.x
The VPN router is an InvizBox2, capable of several simultaneous VPN connections. 10.154.0.x 10.154.1.x, ....2.x etc.
Ideally the printer should be "shareable" between these.
The printer is not ping-able from any of the subnetworks.

Grateful for any suggestions
Your best option maybe to look at Google print or if Brother offers an option like Epson the device you want to print from sends the print job by email to a server that in turn send the print job to your printer. Epson print works very well and my wife uses it frequently to print from her wireless devices and I don't have to install drivers on them. The Epson has good security and won't print from unknown devices.

Based on my understanding of how the InviziBox works, that's a function of the InvizBox and how it's configured. Given it's a VPN router and intended to protect clients behind it from being routed outside the VPN, it sort of makes sense you don't have access. Although I suppose they could offer the option to access *local* networks upstream of the router for situations like this. That's just something they need to offer in the configuration options. And unfortunately I don't own a InviziBox in order to tell you if such an option exists.

That's one of the problems in using a commercial product vs. managing your own VPN router. You have to live within the limitations and assumptions of that product.

Even if you could gain access to the upstream local network, it's possible something like AirPrint relies on network discovery to work (I know Chromecast does). But network discovery *never* works across network boundaries. Access to AirPrint would require that you be able to specify its IP address directly in the client.

Given the above, it's always going to be better if *all* your clients are behind the InvizBox, so every device is on the same local network, then selectively route traffic over the VPN (if the InvizBox supports it).

Once you start splitting devices across multiple routers, that's when all the trouble begins. And if you're using commercial products to do it, they often leave you without good options.
Thanks. No, detailed configuration settings are not possible for the InvizBox, and their support team does not have a solution either.
The beauty of the InvizBox is that you can switch VPN countries by simply switching to a different WiFi network. That would be more difficult with a fully configurable router like an ASUS, I guess.

Your best option maybe to look at Google print or if Brother offers an option like Epson the device you want to print from sends the print job by email to a server that in turn send the print job to your printer. Epson print works very well and my wife uses it frequently to print from her wireless devices and I don't have to install drivers on them. The Epson has good security and won't print from unknown devices.
Thank you. Good suggestion. Brother does have a secure web printing service, will try it out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!