What's new

How to Block Youtube Ads in Router Level?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChaoscripT

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Instead of install each browser/machine uBlock or other extension,
There is any way to block Youtube Ads in Router Level?
I have ASUS TUF-AX5400 Router with Gnuton Firmware and NextDNS DNS.

Regards.

If you haven't done so already, use the forum search to search for ways to block Youtube ads. The topic/subject about the difficulty of doing so is well discussed both here and elsewhere on the internet.

Best way to block Youtube ads is to do it at the browser with browser extensions, or streaming device level by using an app designed to block the ads. Or one can simply pay for the premium Youtube service to skip the ads.

See the Add-On subforum for more discussions on how to block ads. There are various add-ons one can try and use for the run of the mill ads you see on most websites. Most have a difficult time, or simply cannot, blocking ads from Youtube. There are also other ad blocking options like Pi-Hole, but those too generally cannot block Youtube ads.

Ad-Blocking
- AdGuardHome - (AMTM) - Source / Github - Dev: @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow
- Diversion - (AMTM) - Repository - Dev: @thelonelycoder
- pixelserv - (AMTM) - Github - Dev: @kvic
- uiDivStats - (AMTM) - Source / Github - Dev: @Jack Yaz

Hi,

Regards.
Judging by everything we tried, Youtube Video ads cannot be blocked with a DNS based solution. Only browser addons can filter out the code in the loaded web page.

I offer an experimental YouTube video ads blocking feature in Diversion but its days are numbered. This feature will be gone with the next Diversion update. And it will not return.

Judging by everything we tried, Youtube Video ads cannot be blocked with a DNS based solution. Only browser addons can filter out the code in the loaded web page.

I offer an experimental YouTube video ads blocking feature in Diversion but its days are numbered. This feature will be gone with the next Diversion update. And it will not return.

Hi,
Thanks for reply,
If the Browser Addons can block it, why DNS based can't?

I use IOS, I assume in this system, the block apps more hard to find if we compare to Android.

Have you tried asking on the Pfsense forum?

Thanks for reply,
No, what is this forum?

Regards.

DNS based typically blocks by website IP address or website name. Browser based as stated above; "filter out the code in the loaded web page."

He just told you the answer: "Only browser addons can filter out the code in the loaded web page".
Thanks, I did not want to come across as arrogant :cool: But reading your exact reply I had in mind makes it more helpful then the often repeated and discussed differences.

Hi,
Thanks for reply,

I use IOS, I assume in this system, the block apps more hard to find if we compare to Android.

Thanks for reply,
No, what is this forum?

Regards.

Why this feature will gone?

regards.

Often when I see this kind of question I wonder how people don't understand this is not a fight that can be won.
And I always have to remind myself not everyone understand deeply networking and HTTP(S) to be able to actually figure it out it's a constant battle between very well paid experts focusing on putting ads on your screen and people trying to block that. First having the high ground as technology is on their side.

YouTube ads are easy to block. Just don't use YouTube. Trillions of hours of garbage to euthanize your brain. And, that's just the ads.

Wipr Extra, part of Wipr will block them.

Wipr Extra, part of Wipr will block them.

Wow there's a blast from the past! I remember using Wipr a long long time ago and was very happy with it and I forgot about it until your post.

Google to Android - I’m your father!

I wonder if there is something for Android?
Of course there is!

If you have a streaming Android device - sideload

If you have a tablet - look up Youtube Revanced. You'll have to create several channels, and switch between them when Youtube starts buffering.

Hi,

Regards.
The only sure fired way I know of is to subscribe to youtube.

DNS blocking is not as efficient for the following reasons: applications utilize ad indexing within video files. Additionally, they employ DNS over HTTPS connectivity, which often bypasses the router's DNS server. For this reason, browsers perform edge blocking, which is more effective. However, with this list "HaGeZi Blocklist" and Diversion by @thelonelycoder all you need to do is update the video, and you'll have more ad-free time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!