What's new

How to clear obsolete Client status info? (RT-AC86U, Merlin 384.18)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Patrick9876

Regular Contributor
Ever since rebooting my RT-AC86U the Network Map /client status is displaying useless (but probably not exactly incorrect) information for one of my NAS devices. The device icon is flagged with a "2" (indicating that 2 clients are connecting to the router through that device) and is displaying a 169.254.x.y address for the device. Pulling up the detail display (or whatever it's called) I see that the 169.254.x.y address is a static IP address. Not being shown is the the router's DHCP server has given the router an address from the 192.168.1.x pool. The NAS is reachable by that DHCP-assigned address.

169.254.x.y addresses are "automatic private IP addressing" addresses (a.k.a. IPv4 link-local addresses) which some computers (Windows computers and apparently QNAP routers) assign prior to a successful DHCP exchange. As far as I know they are of no use once DHCP has assigned an address. The NAS cannot be reached the APIPA address.

Is there some way to get the router to forget about this address and display the DHCP-assigned address in the client list?

You can shut it down and then try loading the mobile app and see if it is still listed in offline client devices and then click it and choose delete all local data. Thats what I usually do.

Reboot it.

I'll try that soon as I'm not using the network, but I think the problem survived a reboot I did yesterday.

Any idea why this should be happening just with a QNAP NAS and not with my 4 computers or 2 Synology NAS devices? I don't know if the Synology NASs use APIPA addresses, but I know the computers running Windows do.

Update: The reboot cleared the problem.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!