What's new

How to disable Aimesh node's 2.4ghz radio?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Micharlie

Occasional Visitor
I only want to use 5ghz in the house. However, there is no way to disable the Aimesh node's 2.4ghz radio. Can someone tell me how to?

What is the script?

I will need to SSH the script from the main/Aimesh router, right?

Also, is there anyway to disable the 2.4ghz radio if I was using the other router as an extender instead Aimesh?

I only want to use 5ghz in the house. However, there is no way to disable the Aimesh node's 2.4ghz radio. Can someone tell me how to?

What is the script?

I will need to SSH the script from the main/Aimesh router, right?

Also, is there anyway to disable the 2.4ghz radio if I was using the other router as an extender instead Aimesh?

I think you can disable the radios in the webUI, but this might break AiMesh or might just be an AiMesh 2.0 beta feature.

OE

You can disable the 2.4 radio on the node using SSH, however, after a reboot the node won't be able to connect to the main router. It appears that AiMesh needs both radios during a reconnect. Which is a pity, since I also want to extend only the 5g signal - and I had use the repeater mode instead of AiMesh node to achieve this.

Yes. That’s what I did. Just using it a repeater. Though, stupid Canon printer cannot work on 5Ghz. So, I had to turn the main router’s 2.4Ghz radio back on.

The difference between repeater mode and AP is none if they're both used with wireless backhaul.

In that configuration (wireless backhaul mode), the throughput of the network, as a whole, drops by half. Whenever the repeater is in use.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

if you do not need wi-fi 2.4 in home why you will not turn it off on main router and it will be turn off on Node.

node management

1632158686150.png

Hi All,
After reading this thread I decided to turn OFF my 2.4GHz for both my AiMesh Nodes to see what happens.

My WiFi Devices at home:
  • All my Mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) support 5GHz WiFi bands, hardly use the 2.4GHz WiFi band at home
  • I only have one Fixed position Philips Internet Radio that uses 2.4GHz WiFi band that is near my main AiMesh Router (so I wanted 2.4GHz WiFi on my main AiMesh Router
  • Specifically, I wanted AiMesh Router RT-AX88U (3.0.0.4_386_45375) to support (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and both my AiMesh Nodes RT-AC86U (3.0.0.4_386_44470) to support (5GHz only)
PS:
  • Go to AiMesh -> Topology -> (Select a Node) -> Management -> Turn OFF 2.4GHz
    • Click OK to the warning "If you disable Radio functionality, the connectivity of your AiMesh router(s) and end devices(s) will be affected"
  • Repeat for the other AiMesh Node
  • I have wired backhaul, Works for me (just for comparison for others who wanted to try this:)
  • Later, I am going to do AiMesh -> System Settings -> System Reboot to see if configuration sticks over reboot and report back.
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 11.05.45.png

After reading this thread I decided to turn OFF my 2.4GHz for both my AiMesh Nodes to see what happens.

Did you do this? Is it working well for you?

I have one room of my apartment where the 2.4GHz is okayish, but 5GHz really poor (a very nasty wall between this room and the one where the main router resides). I consider putting there an extra node (I can wire-backhaul it) and turn just 5GHz on it. I’d be keen to hear what’s your experience so far.

Did you do this? Is it working well for you?

I have one room of my apartment where the 2.4GHz is okayish, but 5GHz really poor (a very nasty wall between this room and the one where the main router resides). I consider putting there an extra node (I can wire-backhaul it) and turn just 5GHz on it. I’d be keen to hear what’s your experience so far.
Tvardovsky,
I tried it for a couple of days, it was working - please note my AiMesh Router and AiMesh Node hardware and firmware version, it may be different from yours.

Found this thread after debugging my aimesh system for hours. I have a GT-AX6000 and two RT-AC68U as nodes. All clients run on 5GHz so I disabled 2.4GHz on GT-AX6000. After adding both RT-AC68U as nodes they would work fine until I disabled the 2.4GHz on the nodes. They would connect to GT-AX6000 via 5GHz but then disconnect in a few seconds. Log says it's 4-way handshake timeout. Looks like ASUS still hasn't fix this bug after almost two years.

Found this thread after debugging my aimesh system for hours. I have a GT-AX6000 and two RT-AC68U as nodes. All clients run on 5GHz so I disabled 2.4GHz on GT-AX6000. After adding both RT-AC68U as nodes they would work fine until I disabled the 2.4GHz on the nodes. They would connect to GT-AX6000 via 5GHz but then disconnect in a few seconds. Log says it's 4-way handshake timeout. Looks like ASUS still hasn't fix this bug after almost two years.

I believe using AiMesh requires both bands to be enabled.

OE

I believe using AiMesh requires both bands to be enabled.

I can confirm with 2.4GHz band disabled on the node this node falls off AiMesh at some point and doesn't re-connect. And I can replicate this behavior on stock Asuswrt. No idea why there is a 2.4GHz disable settings. AiMesh is work in progress, may start working at some point.

@OzarkEdge, what you asked me to check on 46061 is confirmed. Affects Guest Network 1 only. Fixed in 49447 firmware.

If that's true then why would there be an option to disable 2.4GHz in AiMesh menu?

It could be that if all nodes are wired, enabling Ethernet Backhaul Mode to free WiFi for client use only would then permit disabling a band. Until then, all WiFi is assumed required for wireless backhaul to enable self-healing, setup, etc.

I use a wireless backhaul and have not bothered to confirm all such things.

Given the many settings and permutations of settings possible, I would expect that the firmware does not fully manage/restrict what the user might configure. This seems to hold when thrashing around with too many settings to 'fix' a mystery issue... the router can get into an unhealthy state that may demand a clean install. Flexibility comes at a price, imo. Keep it simple (and try to know what you are doing) to control your costs.

OE

Hi All,

My WiFi Devices at home:
  • All my Mobile devices (iPhone and iPad) support 5GHz WiFi bands, hardly use the 2.4GHz WiFi band at home
  • I only have one Fixed position Philips Internet Radio that uses 2.4GHz WiFi band that is near my main AiMesh Router (so I wanted 2.4GHz WiFi on my main AiMesh Router
  • Specifically, I wanted AiMesh Router RT-AX88U (3.0.0.4_386_45375) to support (2.4GHz & 5GHz) and both my AiMesh Nodes RT-AC86U (3.0.0.4_386_44470) to support (5GHz only)
PS:
  • Go to AiMesh -> Topology -> (Select a Node) -> Management -> Turn OFF 2.4GHz
    • Click OK to the warning "If you disable Radio functionality, the connectivity of your AiMesh router(s) and end devices(s) will be affected"
  • Repeat for the other AiMesh Node
  • I have wired backhaul, Works for me (just for comparison for others who wanted to try this:)
  • Later, I am going to do AiMesh -> System Settings -> System Reboot to see if configuration sticks over reboot and report back.
View attachment 36421

Doing this with an ethernet backhaul doesn't affect overall / 5ghz performance does it?
I read somewhere disabling 2.4ghz in AI Mesh would affect performance but I find no reasoning for that if it's backhauled by ethernet.