What's new

How to flash cfe ? ABC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IAAI

Very Senior Member
Can't Downgrade from AC68U New Bootloader + How to flash cfe ? ABC

Could not find a clear way to flash cfe to my ac68u . Can anyone guide me to do so please ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't know if i did something wrong , but i tried 2 times to downgrade to 1.0.1.6 (US) coming from 1.0.2.0 and didn't succeed

Changed 3 Mac's in bin file + secret_code

tried to use these 2 ,each one separately

MTD-Write v1 => *Original version (v1) from ASUS*
MTD-Write v2 => *New version (v2)

Rebooted + Erased NVRAM

and still with the stupid bootloader

nvram get bl_version = 1.0.2.0

Used Merlin's Build 48-1

Last edited:
I don't know if i did something wrong , but i tried 2 times to downgrade to 1.0.1.6 (US) coming from 1.0.2.0 and didn't succeed

Changed 3 Mac's in bin file + secret_code

tried to use these 2 ,each one separately

MTD-Write v1 => *Original version (v1) from ASUS*
MTD-Write v2 => *New version (v2)

Rebooted + Erased NVRAM

and still with the stupid bootloader

nvram get bl_version = 1.0.2.0

Used Merlin's Build 48-1

So when you ran the mtd-write command, it took a few seconds and then returned to the prompt (at which point you rebooted and did an NVRAM reset)?

By the way, did you download and use the mtd-write versions from the guide that I linked and there is no way that the version included with the BETA is the one running? The reason that I ask is that the mtd-write that comes with the new Asus BETA firmware may be locked in some way. Asus just re-added the mtd-write command to that firmware after removing it some time ago, IIRC.

Last edited:
Yes it took few seconds . Did reboot after that command then NVRAM after it fully booted

Yes downloaded them from the link you provided

Yes it took few seconds . Did reboot after that command then NVRAM after it fully booted

Yes downloaded them from the link you provided

When you ran the mtd-write command, did you change to the folder (directory) that contained the mtd-write that you downloaded? Also, I'm assuming that you only had one version of the mtd-write on there at a time and didn't rename it (doesn't seem to run if you rename it)?

When you ran the mtd-write command, did you change to the folder (directory) that contained the mtd-write that you downloaded? Also, I'm assuming that you only had one version of the mtd-write on there at a time and didn't rename it (doesn't seem to run if you rename it)?

I placed the files in a tmp folder and then cd myusbname , then cd tmp and when it showed tmp i ran one of these command "mtd-write new_cfe.bin boot (v1) OR mtd-write -i new_cfe.bin -d boot (v2)"

no i didn't rename it , i did a fresh download when the first one failed i deleted it and downloaded the second one

Don't know if it makes a difference, but how did you erase NVRAM?

Did you unplug the router, press and hold the WPS button, plug the router back in while holding the WPS button and then hold the WPS button for about 10-15 more seconds?

Also, after going to the tmp folder on your USB stick with the CD command, did you verify that the files were there with:

ls <ENTER> (the l is a lowercase L)

Last edited:
Don't know if it makes a difference, but how did you erase NVRAM?

Did you unplug the router, press and hold the WPS button, plug the router back in while holding the WPS button and then hold the WPS button for about 10-15 more seconds?

Also, after going to the tmp folder on your USB stick with the CD command, did you verify that the files were there with:

ls <ENTER> (the l is a lowercase L)

yes did it the WPS hard reset way (the same one you mentioned)

actually i didn't verify , but i made sure there are there by logging in through my network , if they were not there telnet would have showed me an error msg

Hmm....I still think that Asus is doing something on the mtd-write command (using the new one instead of the one on the USB stick) although I have no way to prove that (and I could be wrong, lol! :p).

I'm hoping someone else could jump in here with more experience and do a better job than I have! :(

Last edited:
strings /dev/mtd0 | grep bl_version

You will see 1.0.1.6 there, that means the update was sucessful.

Clean your nvram with mtd-erase -d nvram.

Hmm....I still think that Asus is doing something on the mtd-write command (using the new one instead of the one on the USB stick) although I have no way to prove that (and I could be wrong, lol! :p).

I'm hoping someone else could jump in here with more experience and do a better job that I have! :(

Thank you for your help [emoji3]

In that case you are missing the right path.

mtd-write /path/filename boot => v1
mtd-write -i /path/filename -d boot => v2
mtd-write /path/filename boot => v3

Notes:

1. Make sure you checked your files permitions also.
2. Don't rename "mtd-write" filename.
3. Try to ./mtd-write instead on the same directory where your CFEs are.

Last edited:

I'm hoping someone else could jump in here with more experience and do a better job than I have! :(

i know it you are going to be mad at me :D but it worked because of a silly mistake

In that case you are missing the right path.

mtd-write /path/filename boot => v1
mtd-write -i /path/filename -d boot => v2
mtd-write /path/filename boot => v3

Notes:

1. Make sure you checked your files permitions also.
2. Don't rename "mtd-write" filename.
3. Try to ./mtd-write instead on the same directory where your CFEs are.

first of all thank you , I used V3 of mtd-write and it worked
here is what happened lol , download it 1.0.1.8 (EU) at first and copied the name in a notepad then decided to go with 1.0.1.6 (US) and forgot to change it back to 1.6 :D

i know it you are going to be mad at me :D but it worked because of a silly mistake

first of all thank you , I used V3 of mtd-write and it worked
here is what happened lol , download it 1.0.1.8 (EU) at first and copied the name in a notepad then decided to go with 1.0.1.6 (US) and forgot to change it back to 1.6 :D

Not mad, lol...but confused. Where does the 1.0.1.8 come into play when you still read 1.0.2.0 after flashing? Did you download 1.0.2.0 and think that you had downloaded 1.0.1.6?

Regardless, it worked. I guess you're on 1.0.1.6 now?

Did that fix your wireless issues (5GHz)?

Last edited:
Not mad, lol...but confused. Where does the 1.0.1.8 come into play when you still read 1.0.2.0 after flashing? Did you download 1.0.2.0 and think that you had downloaded 1.0.1.6?

Regardless, it worked. I guess you're on 1.0.1.6 now?

Did that fix your wireless issues (5GHz)?

Yeah 5Ghz is better , yes i m on 1.0.1.6

The file name in commend was different than the actual file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

what would happen if i upgraded the bootloader of AC68U to

RT-AC68P (ARM) 1.0.2.5 (US)

I read some reports that these routers are identical in everything apart from the CPU

RT-AC68P = 1000,800

RT-AC68U/R = 800,666

You can try change the value on NVRAM and see if it results on a brick, if yes you could not use that CFE.

nvram set boardtype=0x0665
nvram set boardrev=0x1103
nvram commit
reboot

Last edited: