What's new

how to get amount of data used by each node on network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I'd like to track how much data (like MBs per day or week) that each node consumes. I do not want to use my router.

I need recommendations on software (Windows or Linux), preferably free, that can do this.

As you haven't said anything at all about what these nodes are it's impossible to say. An SNMP monitor (like PRTG) would be the obvious choice if your nodes support it.

I'd like to track how much data (like MBs per day or week) that each node consumes. I do not want to use my router.

I need recommendations on software (Windows or Linux), preferably free, that can do this.

If you have a device that supports netflow (or a variant) in the path, ManageEngine used to have a free netflow collector/analyzer, not sure if they still do. That's going to be the most accurate and easiest method. There are other free ones out there too. But as @ColinTaylor mentioned, need more info.

If you just want to look at each node/device pretty much all OSes including Android/IOS have built in counters. You can't just install something on one PC on your network and have it know what other devices are using, you need a router or switch in the path capable of tracking that data. SNMP will tell you at interface levels, but if you need IP level then netflow or similar is required. Alternatively, a smart switch with mirroring ability and a PC running monitoring/sniffing software, but that is a pretty overkill solution.

I suppose if every device you want to know about supports SNMP (any modern windows and linux should) then you can poll them all directly. MRTG/PRTG and Cacti are popular for this but takes some time to get set up and the PC that is polling/collecting the data must run 24x7. SNMP total amount can be a bit glitchy too, even if you use 64 bit counters to try and minimize counter wrapping, the polling software is going to average some stuff out and give you totals based on that average, even if you poll at 10 second intervals.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!