What's new

How to have tagged WLAN traffic moved to a different VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

confuzed

Occasional Visitor
I have an isolated VLAN in my N66U that I would like to be able to have tagged WLAN traffic participate in.

I don't want an entire SSID on that VLAN... I just want to trunk the WLAN/SSID, like I did the switch ports.

Is there any way to do this?

Obviously, robocfg only configures the switch ports.

I tried doing a simple "vconfig add eth1 <vlan>" thinking it would create an eth1.<vlan> interface but it gives me an "ioctl error for add: invalid argument"

I am pretty sure it can be done if I wanted to use 802.1x and Radius (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/feature/Combining-8021X-and-VLANs-for-WLAN-authorization), but I don't.

One alternative I haven't really explored, because I don't fully understand it, would be using ebtables to somehow route the br0 traffic that is tagged to the appropriate VLAN... however I suspect I would then need to add my new VLAN to the bridge and have rules in place to limit traffic between my new VLAN and the existing interfaces in the bridge. Do ebtables require that the target VLAN be in the bridge, or can it route traffic to an external VLAN?

As a side note, the purpose is so that a VM on my laptop, that is already tagging its traffic, can continue to function if I disconnect the laptop from the wired network and go wireless (so the 802.1x option wouldn't work for me anyway).