What's new

How To Make A Windows Time Machine Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have created a new 250 gb drive and think I have done everything necessary to make it available to OS-X. But Time Machine reports it cannot log in. How can I confirm that the correct services are running and that the volume configuration is correct?

Last edited:
how do I upgrade the netatalk to 3.x
I am reading the Netatalk 3.0 Manual on http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/3.0/htmldocs/
But I dont understand what does it mean by -

Manually recreate configuration in afp.conf

Update your Netatalk start script (SMF, systemd, whatever...) to only start netatalk

Move afp_voluuid.conf and afp_signature.conf to the localstate directory (default /var/netatalk/), you can use afpd -v in order to find the correct path

can anyone help? I m not really familiar with linux / debian :(

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Followed the instruction to the letter, but exactly the same problem as stated above. Got the appliance running though, without any problems. So it's not in OS X 10.8.2, but somewhere in the latest Debian/netatalk/avahi packages combined with the configuration files.

is it because the setting in nettalk 3 is different from nettalk 2?

Slow transfer and stops working after a while

Hello,
First off I want to thank you for a great guide and overall great quality of guides here at SNB. I have followed this site for quite a while and the guides etc usually works out great!

Now I have run into some problems with this specific guide. The problem is this: The transferspeeds are really slow from my macbook to my server and the server seems to stop working after a while and i have to restart it.

Also it didnt work in the beginning by just allocating 128 ram, I had to allocate 256 just to get it to start running.

Other than that it writes OK and I have backed up about 90gb from one run on the TM vitual disk (increased the size according to tips from the forums and it worked fine).

Would really like this to be fixed as Im soon gonna become a father and will store all pictures on the macbook -> server -> cloud backup so I would like this finished while Im allowed to sleep at night :).

All help are greatly appreciated.

Following is in my VBox log:
VirtualBox COM Server 4.2.6 r82870 win.amd64 (Dec 19 2012 14:42:41) release log
00:00:00.016000 main Log opened 2013-02-13T17:10:09.558076200Z
00:00:00.016000 main OS Product: Windows 7
00:00:00.016000 main OS Release: 6.1.7601
00:00:00.016000 main OS Service Pack: 1
00:00:00.203000 main DMI Product Name: D510UD
00:00:00.234000 main DMI Product Version:
00:00:00.234000 main Host RAM: 2037MB total, 1072MB available
00:00:00.234000 main Executable: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxSVC.exe
00:00:00.234000 main Process ID: 3896
00:00:00.234000 main Package type: WINDOWS_64BITS_GENERIC
00:00:00.281000 Loading settings file "C:\Users\dade\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml" with version "1.12-windows"
00:00:01.732000 VDInit finished
00:00:01.747000 Loading settings file "C:\Users\dade\VirtualBox VMs\MyTimeCapsule\MyTimeCapsule.vbox" with version "1.12-windows"
00:00:06.739000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Machine is not locked for session (session state: Unlocked)}, preserve=false
00:00:08.440000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false
21:57:49.762000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={Machine} aText={Machine is not locked for session (session state: Unlocked)}, preserve=false
21:57:51.712000 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858} aComponent={SessionMachine} aText={Saved screenshot data is not available (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false
Attaching the log from linux.

Thanx guys!

Edit:
The TM is found again after shutting down the server in Vbox and starting it again. Backup to it works fine when the server is freshly restarted but after about 10 minutes the upload gets slower. At the start it takes chunks of 10-20 mb per update, then it takes chunks of 0.2 mb per update.
When i run "top" in the linux box it show that AFPD uses between 10->17% of the cpu and 1% of the ram.

Dont know if there is a "super-sleep" timer or something. I can access the linux vm machine and write commands etc but it cannot be found as a TM (after aprox 1 day).
Any ideas?

Attachments

• VBox.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
More than one Time Capsule on some VBox

Thank you for the easy to use Time Capsule.
I have expanded the Hard disk and got that to work.

But I would like to have two separate Virtual Machine running with each it's Time Capsule. I have created the new Virtual machine, and if I start it up and shut down the first one I can see it from the Mac, but if I start both virtual machines I only see one of them(the one that I started first).

Is there any setting I have to change on the second for it to work.
I changed the Hostname and the Time Capsule name on the second one, but that don't seems to help.

Thank you

I found what the problem was, the time machines had the same Mac addresses, after I changed the mac address it worked fine.

Has anyone been able to successfully create a Time Machine Server in VMWARE as opposed to Vbox?

I would be willing to donate some funds to that effort. :)

If so, please contact me....

what's the advantage of all the above over using the Time Backup that's within Synology and likely other vendors' NASes?
If the PCs and MACs store their important files on shares of the NAS, the Time Backup utility takes care of the rest.

TM Server looses contact

Hi,
I'm new here and new to running virtual appliances. Thanks to Kevin for all his work here. I have downloaded the appliance and followed the instructions on how to increase backup disk space (to 2TB in my case).

I am running a virtual machine in Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

The problem I have is that my mac is loosing connection to the TM server before the initial backup has finished. Some times I can just re-boot the virtual machine and manually re-connect time machine, but other times I need to re- boot the whole server. I'VE not managed a complete backup yet.

Wondering if any one could suggest a solution or how I can diagnose the problem.

Thanks

Ben

Hi,
I'm new here and new to running virtual appliances. Thanks to Kevin for all his work here. I have downloaded the appliance and followed the instructions on how to increase backup disk space (to 2TB in my case).

I am running a virtual machine in Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

The problem I have is that my mac is loosing connection to the TM server before the initial backup has finished. Some times I can just re-boot the virtual machine and manually re-connect time machine, but other times I need to re- boot the whole server. I'VE not managed a complete backup yet.

Wondering if any one could suggest a solution or how I can diagnose the problem.

Thanks

Ben

I've now discovered that I had a bad disk that was probably responsible for the crashes. I've reinstalled windows server 2012 essentials and started again. It's more reliable now, but I still find that the backup does not complete and the mac looses connection to the time machine. I can restart the time machine VM and the backup will start working again from where it left off.

I expect I will finally get to complete the first full backup of my wife's 1 TB iMac today. But I would like it to be more reliable. Is there a log file somewhere I could look at for clues about why it stops working?

Or can anyone suggest a diagnostic I could try?

Thanks

Ben

MyTimeCapsule network problems

MyTimeCapsule works fine as long as I bridge my wireless card. But after I have changed it to my network card, my mac can't find the Time Capsule server.

Is there any explanation for that? Has anybody similar problems?

I have this problem on two of my laptops running Win7 and the latest Virtualbox version. In both cases the TM server got assigned an IP, which I can ping inside the network. I downloaded your appliance and just changed the bridged network device.. the rest stayed the same.

Last edited:
Hi folks!!

Congrats about the article!

Years later and still helping ppl!

Ive got one problem, i imported the VM, started it.. but my mac cant see it!

My Windows desktop is connected thought a ethernet adapter, it works fine.

One thing i notice is that, inside the vm, if i do a ifconfig, it only shows me lo 127.0.0.1

Is that correct?

Is something that i need to do on my mac in order to see the timemachine?

When i click ont he select backup folder it just dosent show it, and shows "Other Time Capsule"

Im running the latest mac and Windows 7 Desktop with VBOX 4.1.2 r80170

thanks for the help folks! im looking forward to make this run :)

Permissions...please help

Please help me if you can. I´ve read all the posts in the thread, and been sitting with this too many hours to fail...

I managed to make a bugger partition according to the instructions, and finally go a 500gig timecapsule showing up on my mac.
But, it cant connect to it after i made it bigger - "You dont have the necessary read or write permissions...".

Ok, soo, i should probably correct the permissions on the VM? so i enter:
chmod 777 /mnt/mytimecapsule/

Result?

"cannot access "/mnt/mytimecapsule/" no such file or directory...."

What now? its mounted....i am lost :-(

Hey Guys,

not sure if there's anyone monitoring these threads anymore but I ran into a problem recently.

I've had my vbox time machine running for a while but it stopped working sometime in June. I didn't really pay much attention cause it wasn't critical but I decided to finally take a look.

It turns out my tmuser account no longer has access to create files through the AFP share to MyTimeCapsule directory. I checked permissions and can create files no problem when logging into the VM directory as tmuser. But via AFP, it's restricted. I can read files fine as there exists a sparsebundle backup.

Any ideas? I'm currently on yosemite. Not sure if that makes a difference.

TIA...

I figured it out... I think the vm appliance was running a version of netatalk or some package that was too old. I apt-get upgrade all packages and that seemed to get me write permission back. One snag was that I had to force upgrade the netatalk package. It kept being held back.

I'm creating a new timemachine backup as I type.

Hope this helps!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!