What's new

How to setup InstantGuard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John Adler

Regular Contributor
Hi again
I would like to setup a VPN server, and learn about Instant Guard
step by step, with examples, if possible
thks for your support

Hi again
I would like to setup a VPN server, and learn about Instant Guard
step by step, with examples, if possible
thks for your support
A suggestion. Rather than take this thread about the firmware off topic why not start a new discussion? You can explain in detail what you are seeking to achieve so others can give focused suggestions. Include information like which router you are using as the VPN server an what firmware version its running. Better yet, if you haven't done so already, search for how to setup VPN. There are a number of posts and discussions where people are asking how to setup VPN on Asus routers here on SNBForums.

Umm, you don't need to enable access from WAN for Instant Guard to work. I'd had it set up and working for an age and have never had Access From WAN enabled!

Just enable Instant guard under VPN -> Instant Guard

1685476531962.png

Slide button from OFF to ON

Then you download the Instant Guard app from Play Store, or the App store or whatever its called for Iphone. Then you just hit apply.
You might have to download the Asus router app too and login with it, i think it gets login info from that app and then establish a connection to instant guard.

Last edited:
There's a difference between the "internet" or "internet and local network" setting, and:
Administration > System: Remote Access Configuration: Enable Web Access from WAN - which I've never known to need enabling!

In the Instant Guard app. I remember as after disabling the WAN access it would stop working - so I stopped using it and just used an OpenVPN instead
I have access from WAN disabled and i can access my router through instant guard regardless of where i am.
But i must connect to the instant guard within my own wifi the first time i use it, for example when i have restored the router to factory settings and redo my setup.

1685477935581.png

1685478116999.png

This is me connected to instant guard with wifi turned off on my cellphone, only accessing through mobile data.

EDIT: I have a DDNS name enabled though.
http://router.asus.com/Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp

I have access from WAN disabled and i can access my router through instant guard regardless of where i am.
But i must connect to the instant guard within my own wifi the first time i use it, for example when i have restored the router to factory settings and redo my setup.

View attachment 50526

View attachment 50528

This is me connected to instant guard with wifi turned off on my cellphone, only accessing through mobile data.

EDIT: I have a DDNS name enabled though.
http://router.asus.com/Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp

Maybe they changed it. It’s even in the setup guide to enable it, and the last time I set it up it wouldn’t continue until I enabled it manually

You have to enable Access From WAN for Instant Guard to work.

Instant Guard is just automated process of setting up IPSec VPN tunnel. Because it's made "easy" and with "apps" it detects the WAN IP and if it's found private - refuses to work. You can set IPSec VPN tunnel manually and make it work in double NAT no problem. Why the app needs remote access - no idea. IPSec needs ports 500 UDP and 4500 UDP. WAN ports are not needed. Asus is very confident in opening access from WAN.

Hello, newbie here.

Just got an Asus AX1800S router and trying to setup Instant Guard. I have read all the forums and have used no-ip DDNS and Asus DDNS. Turned on remote connection and have turned on and off enable remote access on WAN.

Anyways my issue is I can get Instant Guard to connect but it doesn't have internet.

Using Instant Guard while on home wifi works but not when using mobile data.

Any ideas?
TiA.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231121_191417_Instant Guard.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_191417_Instant Guard.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231121_191411_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231121_191411_Chrome.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 13
How can a user logged in from the outside Internet use Instant Guard to get parental control settings? I can't add this user for the parent control.

This VPN user does not appear in the user list, probably because he is in another network domain.

The good question might be, how does he get into the internal domain? It's strange because it can reach the whole network infrastructure and can also access the local NAS for example.

How can I enable the split-tunneling?

1710692456694.png

Last edited: