What's new

How to show other language characters when SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anguschang007

Occasional Visitor
Guys, do you know how to show the other language's characters? I have some folders or files that are named in Japanese or Chinese. However, the SSH terminal can't show those characters but I am confirmed that my MacOS terminal it can show those characters while visiting the local files. I tried the other methods for other Linux versions, but they seem not work for the Entware! Does anyone know how to fix the issue?

Last edited:
This is not an Entware issue. It appears to be a problem with Busybox's lack of support for Unicode characters. The same sort of problem was reported in OpenWrt here. So some Busybox commands like ls don't display those characters:

Code:
# echo *
うしろの正面だあれ』(うしろのしょうめんだあれ)は、海老名香葉子著の児童文学作品。.txt
# ls

# find .
./うしろの正面だあれ』(うしろのしょうめんだあれ)は、海老名香葉子著の児童文学作品。.txt

Last edited:
This is not an Entware issue. It appears to be a problem with Busybox's lack of support for Unicode characters. The same sort of problem was reported in OpenWrt here. So some Busybox commands like ls don't display those characters:

Code:
# echo *
# ls

# find .
./うしろの正面だあれ』(うしろのしょうめんだあれ)は、海老名香葉子著の児童文学作品。.txt
Oh, but the issue isn't fixed on Entware yet? It seems it is an issue for a long time!

Busybox can be complied with various Unicode options. I suspect it would need UNICODE_USING_LOCALE to be enabled.

Here's something if you have Entware:
Code:
opkg install coreutils-ls
Code:
# export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
# export LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'
# ls

Here's something if you have Entware:
Code:
opkg install coreutils-ls
Code:
# export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
# export LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'
# ls
It is perfect now, after installing the coreutils-ls

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!