What's new

How to start Asus Merlin VPN Failover Script?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kenji

Occasional Visitor
Hello colleagues,

I had to find out that my Asus Merlin router with the integrated VPN client does not really cope with a provider separation (Fritzbox). Despite the correct keepalive, it did not completely renew the connection and ran empty. Only a manual reconnect of the client remedied every day. RT-AC86U, operating mode: wireless router firmware version: 384.17.

I have now found a VPN failover script and wanted to try it out. Oddly white it ran briefly and was no longer visible after restarting the router.
VPN failover script:

I loaded the script with SSH and checked whether the files are in the right place. This was ok
"curl --retry 3" https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MartineauUK/VPN-Failover/master/VPN_Fa ... "-o" /jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh "&& chmod 755" / jffs / scripts /VPN_Failover.sh ""

Now all you have to do is start a cron job. So I added this to / var / spool / cron / crontabs in the last line, or rather under init-start?
"cru" 5 * / 1 * * * "/jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh 1 once"
Unfortunately, I don't see any new entries in the log after a restart.

Anyone have any tips on how to get this started?

Thank you and a nice holiday.

lg. Phil

Hello colleagues,

I had to find out that my Asus Merlin router with the integrated VPN client does not really cope with a provider separation (Fritzbox). Despite the correct keepalive, it did not completely renew the connection and ran empty. Only a manual reconnect of the client remedied every day. RT-AC86U, operating mode: wireless router firmware version: 384.17.

I have now found a VPN failover script and wanted to try it out. Oddly white it ran briefly and was no longer visible after restarting the router.
VPN failover script:

I loaded the script with SSH and checked whether the files are in the right place. This was ok
"curl --retry 3" https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MartineauUK/VPN-Failover/master/VPN_Fa ... "-o" /jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh "&& chmod 755" / jffs / scripts /VPN_Failover.sh ""

Now all you have to do is start a cron job. So I added this to / var / spool / cron / crontabs in the last line, or rather under init-start?
"cru" 5 * / 1 * * * "/jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh 1 once"
Unfortunately, I don't see any new entries in the log after a restart.

Anyone have any tips on how to get this started?

Thank you and a nice holiday.

lg. Phil
What do you get IF you Try /jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh - h

What do you get IF you Try /jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh - h

GLM2900@lul:/tmp/home/root# /jffs/scripts/VPN_Failover.sh 1

(VPN_Failover.sh): 9959 v1.23 Started..... [1]

13:20:29 v1.23 VPN Client Monitor: Checking VPN Client 1 connection stat us....

VPN Client 1 connection status OK

Will check VPN Client 1 connection status again in 00:00:30 .... .@13:21:00

this works.. but automatic?

Last edited: