What's new

How to turn my Asus router to a VPN client that can upload files from NAS to a FPT server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vstevenphan

Occasional Visitor
I'm using AX58U, is there any way that (script, cron, etc) that can let the router act as a VPN client that can upload videos from NAS (Storage attached) to an FPT server?
Thanks

Do you mean an FTP server?

Where is the NAS and where is the FTP Server?

Short answer is yes. But more detail about your setup is required.

Once you got your VPN running, you can install "curlftpfs" from Entware to mount a remote FTP server. Here is a link to a thread showing an example.

For VPN, are you looking for OpenVPN on the router (builtin) or are you looking at wireguard or something similar.

Do you mean an FTP server?

Where is the NAS and where is the FTP Server?

Short answer is yes. But more detail about your setup is required.

Once you got your VPN running, you can install "curlftpfs" from Entware to mount a remote FTP server. Here is a link to a thread showing an example.

For VPN, are you looking for OpenVPN on the router (builtin) or are you looking at wireguard or something similar.

I mean I want my videos in the USB/Storage attached to the router are auto-sync/upload to a remote FTP server

In principle it would be simple enough to do. You will need to use a script similar to the one in the link I posted above (also need to install curlftpfs so you can mount the remote FTP site.
Once you have your VPN client setup and you have verified that you can ping the FTP server, then just add a cron job via the services-start script. Lots of cron generator websites around to help you with the cron job setup.

As far as the VPN goes, I don't use OpenVPN, so I can't help you there. I am not a big fan of using a router as a NAS or VPN server. I perfer the router to do what it was designed to do and leave the other services to a dedicated server.