What's new

How to use spare router as Xbox wireless connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scott14

New Around Here
Main home network wireless router is D-Link DIR-655.

Also have older spare DIR-625 wireless router (it doesn't accept DD-WRT).

Overall goal: enable an xbox live connection for the kids, by using the older DIR-625 as the internet adapter for the xbox. Make a wireless connection between the main router (DIR-655) and the secondary router (DIR-625).

I guess that in the main router (DIR-655) I'd just assign an IP address to the secondary router, same as if it were another computer on the lan? Is that right?

What settings should I put into the secondary router being used as the internet adapter at the xbox (DIR-625)?

Thank you.

Generally, you can't convert a wireless router to a bridge or client adapter. Either spring for the Xbox wireless adapter or use a wireless bridge like the Cisco/Linksys WGA600N.

Is there any good use for my old unused DIR-625 wireless router?

Can I put it in another part of the house as a standalone device to boost the signal in that area from the main home router?

Is there any good use for my old unused DIR-625 wireless router?

Can I put it in another part of the house as a standalone device to boost the signal in that area from the main home router?

You can use it as an AP I guess. Just disable wan/dhcp, and set same SSID and security options.