What's new

How to verify switch mode of AiMesh node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chance

New Around Here
Does asuswrt have a running config file equivalent?
I would like to be able to check the diff between the aimesh router config and the aimesh node config to see exactly what is getting pushed down.
Specifically I want to know if the aimesh node is operating in store and forward or cut through switching mode. (NAT acceleration on or off)
When performing a browser based WAN speed test my wired speeds are ~900 Mbps off of the aimesh router but Im only getting ~400 Mbps off of the aimesh node and I'm wondering if the switching mode might be a limiting factor.
From what I've researched NAT acceleration auto is cut through and disabled is store and forward, meaning that with NAT acceleration enabled the CRC is not performed on the router/switch but handed off to the OS.
If this is the case I would expect that this setting should be configurable on both the aimesh router and aimesh node.

AiMesh router: RT-AC88U
Current Version: 384.15

AiMesh Node: RT-AC86U

Last edited:
Does asuswrt have a running config file equivalent?
I would like to be able to check the diff between the aimesh router config and the aimesh node config to see exactly what is getting pushed down.
Specifically I want to know if the aimesh node is operating in store and forward or cut through switching mode. (NAT acceleration on or off)
When performing a browser based WAN speed test my wired speeds are ~900 Mbps off of the aimesh router but Im only getting ~400 Mbps off of the aimesh node and I'm wondering if the switching mode might be a limiting factor.
From what I've researched NAT acceleration auto is cut through and disabled is store and forward, meaning that with NAT acceleration enabled the CRC is not performed on the router/switch but handed off to the OS.
If this is the case I would expect that this setting should be configurable on both the aimesh router and aimesh node.

AiMesh router: RT-AC88U

AiMesh Node: RT-AC86U

How is your node connected to your router? If wireless, what is the node MAC link rate logged in the Wireless Log?

OE

The aimesh router and aimesh node have a direct wired connection via CAT6e.
All of my testing has be done on devices with wired connections.
The device that I'm performing the speed test on that's connected to the aimesh node in question is an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

Last edited:
The aimesh router and aimesh node have a direct wired connection via CAT6e.
All of my testing has be done on devices with wired connections.
The device that I'm performing the speed test on that's connected to the aimesh node in question is an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

Is the node connection priority set to wired/Ethernet to be sure the wired backhaul is being used?

I'm not familiar with how the Shield might affect the speed test.

OE

Nodes don't NAT, only the router does. Nodes are basically just access points.

Nodes don't NAT, only the router does. Nodes are basically just access points.

Even if the nodes are L2 only and all L3 routing has to traverse the backhaul to be routed on the router an L2 node could have the capability to function in either cut through or store and forward mode assuming that the hardware supports both. It would depend on if you wanted a CRC at every hop. That being said I have no idea how the aimesh system works or what else the nat acceleration toggel does on the back end. One observation is that top shows 99% idle on the node during the test which leads me to believe that the node is cut throughout. I'm installing Windows on an old think pad to rule out the shield and to take a pcap if needed.

Even if the nodes are L2 only and all L3 routing has to traverse the backhaul to be routed on the router an L2 node could have the capability to function in either cut through or store and forward mode assuming that the hardware supports both. It would depend on if you wanted a CRC at every hop. That being said I have no idea how the aimesh system works or what else the nat acceleration toggel does on the back end. One observation is that top shows 99% idle on the node during the test which leads me to believe that the node is cut throughout. I'm installing Windows on an old think pad to rule out the shield and to take a pcap if needed.

I plugged a laptop running Windows 10 into the node and BOOM ~900Mbps. It seems that an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 on the latest patch of Android TV 10 is not able to take full advantage of a gigabit WAN connection. My next test would be to perform a file transfer to another device with L2 adjacency to the Shield to further isolate the issue. If I perform further testing Ill update this thread. Thank you OzarkEdge and RMerlin for the supper quick responses to my questions, great community support.

I plugged a laptop running Windows 10 into the node and BOOM ~900Mbps. It seems that an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 on the latest patch of Android TV 10 is not able to take full advantage of a gigabit WAN connection. My next test would be to perform a file transfer to another device with L2 adjacency to the Shield to further isolate the issue. If I perform further testing Ill update this thread. Thank you OzarkEdge and RMerlin for the supper quick responses to my questions, great community support.

Testing a file transfer between the Shield and the Windows laptop plugged into the same node we see moderately better transfer speeds of ~650Mbps. It seems that the Shield is unable to take full advantage of a gigabit connection (LAN or WAN) in the default configuration. Not a asuswrt issue but worth noting.