What's new

[HOWTO]Debian Weezy for AC68 and AC56 + OwnCloud

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe it is better to use another small partition for swapfile performance-wise?
Yes, you could try that...if I remember correctly, there were some probs with multiple partitions on (NFTS ??? was it? formatted) disks.

Instead of tinyproxy have a look at 3proxy.
It smaller, faster, simpler. I use it on my ubuntu server where squid just dies...
http://www.3proxy.ru/?l=EN

...never heard of it, but I'll give it a look...thanks!

What if i want to run multiple services when router reboots:
like http, mysql etc.
Do you I have to execute each service with chroot or better run some bash script using chroot, which will run all my services?
Or is it just the same?

Yes it should work in both cases.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If sleep 10 in script is used to wait for usb drive to mount - it is bad idea and it doesn't always work!
It is better to move script to post-mount, it runs after services-start in my tests.
Also, there is a problem with /dev/pts add
mount -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/sda1/debian/dev/pts

Thanks to r00t4rd3d

Yes I'll have to rewrite some of the tutorial it seems, to make it completely fool proof.

What seems to be your issue with pts?

Could be kernel related as the Asus is running on 2.6 and the ARM version of Debian is on kernel 3.x but so far I could ignore the errors and had no issues.

if I remember correctly, there were some probs with multiple partitions on (NFTS ??? was it? formatted) disks.

I also remember reading something about multipartition disks. But we are talking about mbr + 1 ext partition and 1 swap partition. Will it work stable enough only RMerlin can tell us!

What seems to be your issue with pts?

Issue with pts is that it is not mounted properly using only /dev mount and should be mounted explicitly as /dev/pts.
Otherwise /dev/pts couldn't be accessed from chroot and some errors will pop out, although I don't know if are they critical or not. When I added bind to /dev/pts errors are gone.

Hey Ladies and gentlemen,

I solve my problems myself. There was a problem with the usb stick so I changed it. Also dev/pts wasn't mounted but I fixed also that and reinstalled everything and now it works. I thank everyone which make this possible. Maybe give in the front page the hint, if dev/pts is not mounted you have to add it to your script (Big thanks to juggler). Again, thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
If somebody want to make swap partition instead of swap file (althouth rumors say that performance is the same) here is what i've found.
First, you have to shrink your ext4 drive with gprarted and create new swap partition (type 82 swap). Let's assume it will become sda2 (please double check drive paths and devices!!!).
And please DO backup of drive you planning to shrink, although usually there is no problem with that!
Then attach usb drive to router and double check that your drive swap partition path using
fdisk -l
"/dev/sda2 7012 7296 2283520 82 Linux swap"
This is important because mkswap issued later is destructive to partition contents!
So, when you are sure that /dev/sda2 (your path here!) is swap you made issue
mkswap /dev/sda2
to make it swap partition.
Later you only need one line to your shell script like:
swapon /dev/sda2
Or if your drive "jumps" from sda to sdb you can use small simple script:
fdisk -l | awk '/Linux swap/ {print "swapon "$1""}' | sh
It will find all swap partitions and use them as swap space.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

How can I update Owncloud to 6.0.2?

I tried it like here:

http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admin_manual/maintenance/update.html

but I get the error code that the command rsynch is unknown.

I also tried it by

cd /var/www
rm index.lighttpd.html
wget http://download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-latest.tar.bz2
bzip2 -cd owncloud-latest.tar.bz2 | tar -xv
chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/owncloud
rm owncloud-latest.tar.bz2

but it doesn't update like this.

Have I to install it every time again if a updates comes out?

Yours Sincerly

TyraelAC

Last edited:
...at first, install the "rsync" command into your debian chroot-tree? :D

I installed rsync but i got an error code so reinstalled everything with owncloud 6.0.2 from the ground up. Everytime I try to connect it let me load the certificate and gives me than errorcode 500 on my browsers (IE 11/Mozilla). I went back to 6.0.1 everything works. Then I looked to the documentation of owncloud; you can update from the web ui but there i get also an error code.I installed again 6.0.2 from the ground up but again same error 500. I am doing something wrong. Where can I search firt to find my error :p any Ideas?

The error Log of the lighttpd tells errors like this two

2014-03-04 21:10:36: (connections.c.305) SSL: 1 error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number
2014-03-04 21:16:58: (connections.c.305) SSL: 1 error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol

Anyone got 6.0.2 working? If yes, how? Can it be, that Owncloud 6.0.2 is incompatible?

Kind regards

TyraelAC

Last edited:
You can keep the folders config and data delete the rest and extract the new owncloud. You will see it upgrade when you open the page again.

Error 500 is usually php error. Have a look at webserver logs. Also, it could be permissions problem, check which permissions uses http server and files in web directory.

Updated main post.

Changed php.ini

- Using 16MB instead of 32MB so it doesn't run out of memory.

Update links to OwnCloud

- Now pointing to the OwnCloud version 6.0.2

nice howto and nice cloud.... but this php-cgi is killing the router when there are 3 users working on it. Its just to heavy for a router I guess.

Newbie question:
is there any way to start apps/services from /sda1/debian without "сhroot", just like optware?

...I've been trying to enable a java runtime in the chroot.

- oracle embedded JRE 7 does not start (tried client/server with hw-float/sw-float for A7)
- openjdk-jre-7 will not initialise during install via apt-get.

... any thoughts to share?

Newbie question:
is there any way to start apps/services from /sda1/debian without "сhroot", just like optware?

You need to have the chroot to get the environment. But you can script that so you don't need to manually go in the chroot all the time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

...I've been trying to enable a java runtime in the chroot.

- oracle embedded JRE 7 does not start (tried client/server with hw-float/sw-float for A7)
- openjdk-jre-7 will not initialise during install via apt-get.

... any thoughts to share?

It's been a while since I've played with this but what i had before with some of these installations that it runs out of memory. When I enabled a swap file just for the installation it works. Just out of curiosity what do you need java for?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!