What's new

Howto enable external ssh access to netgear r7800 (i have latest Voxel & Kamoj installed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dj02

Occasional Visitor
Howto enable external ssh access to netgear r7800 (i have latest Voxel & Kamoj installed).

ssh server on router works in lan, but from wan i cannot access. and Port Forwarding / Port Triggering page doesnt allow me to create portforwarding to router itself.

tried adding to /etc/netwall.conf:
ACCEPT net fw tcp 22

Last edited:
Howto enable external ssh access to netgear r7800 (i have latest Voxel & Kamoj installed).

ssh server on router works in lan, but from wan i cannot access. and Port Forwarding / Port Triggering page doesnt allow me to create portforwarding to router itself.

tried adding to /etc/netwall.conf:
ACCEPT net fw tcp 22
And this should work. Nothing else special (like Port Forwarding or Port Triggering).

Note: this file should contain LF symbol at the end of last line (press ENTER keyin your text editor).

To enable access to port 22 immediately having such /etc/netwall.conf just run:

Code:
net-wall rule
net-wall start

Voxel.

To enable external SSH access to your Netgear R7800 router, first access the router's web interface by entering its IP address in a web browser. Once logged in, go to the remote management or remote access section and enable SSH, specifying the external port (usually port 22). If your router is behind another router, consider setting up port forwarding. Ensure both your router and SSH have strong passwords, and for extra security, you can use a non-standard SSH port. Additionally, using a VPN for remote access can enhance security. After making the necessary changes, save your router's settings, and test external SSH access from a device outside your local network using an SSH client. However, keep in mind that enabling external SSH access comes with security risks, so take appropriate precautions and keep your router's firmware up to date.

"ssh username@your_router_public_ip -p your_custom_port"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!