What's new

Hub/Switch IPv6 for VOIP phone service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ascanio1

Regular Contributor
I bought a 2nd router and I want both routers to have direct WAN access to the modem.

One of the 2 routers directs VOIP traffic to a telephone line port. This VOIP service is provided by the cable carrier which also leases the modem & the router. The cable company technician told me that this VOIP line uses IPv6 addressing and therefore I must employ an IPv6 capable/compliant Giga Hub/Switch or my telephone line won't work anymore.

1. Pls advise me (brand/model) an IPv6 compliant, 2 port, switchto purchase.

2. Pls educate me:
By reading this forum I thought that hubs broadcast traffic to all ports, regardless of which input/output is being used and so, theoretically, they have nothing to do with IP. Correct?
Same story for unmanaged switches, where the only difference is that these latter devices route traffic only to those ports which are detected to be in use. Correct?
I also understood that unmanaged switches route traffic simply by detecting hardware use and not by selecting specific IP traffic. Correct?
Finally, there are managed switches which DO select traffic based on IP and, therefore, only these managed switches are involved with IPv6...

Why would my cable company explicitly tell me, over and over, that I must use an IPv6 compliant switch? Why would they need a managed switch instead of an unmanaged one?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!