What's new

HW acceleration on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It was because IPv6 (native) was enabled. I posted in the beta build thread.

I had 6to4 enabled and it also disabled HW Acceleration. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out why it was disabled.

I wanted to test out the xbox 360's wirelesss speed with the new xbox setting, so I disabled per ip monitoring and thought that HW acceleration should be on until I found this post.

For now I have 6to4 disabled. But, is it normal for ipv6 to disable HW acceleration?

Last edited:
Mine was showing the same message. I clicked the disable then enable hardware accel and apply. It shows enabled now. I never had Ipv6 enabled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Asus could have changed the requirements for HW acceleration support in more recent firmwares since the version where I posted the actual code determining the incompatible features.

Does lack of HW acceleration enabled affect VPN speeds or it is used purely for WAN to LAN performance?

It will have an impact, because the WAN/LAN transfer will require more CPU cycles than with HW acceleration, leaving fewer CPU power available for the VPN encryption handling.

Thanks for the help guys. I known this is an old thread, but people still read it. I had issues with my RT-N66U because it was limiting my internet speed to 100.2Mbps, with the latest official firmware, even the latest beta. I got Merlin Stable (all): 378.55 and configured it (no QoS or Traffic monitoring) and set NAT acceleration on Auto. It now reads CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled.
This enabled the router to get a more decent speed of 490Mbps :) Here is the proof:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4693691711
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4693756401

Yes indeed some people have very high bandwidth connection. One of the perks of living in Romania. I'm on a 500Mbps fiber optic line, that costs 10 euros per month. It's not the fastest, there is 1 Gbps FC also.

This is a bit of a necropost, but I think it makes sense to bring this thread to life as more people will see this problem as ISPs roll out faster internet speeds. I have Rogers Ignite 250 service and with HW acceleration on, or using Rogers' gateway rather than my own RT-N66U router, I get 320 Mbps speeds, but for some reason HW acceleration must not be sticking as I am getting 240Mbps - exactly like some of the posters in this thread.

Here in Canada two of the largest ISPs, Bell and Rogers, will soon be rolling out gigabit internet service so I think this issue is going to come up a lot more in the future.

What a helpful post. Now we know that turning off hardware acceleration, so that you can use quality of service throttling (or bandwidth reservation) for certain internet users, or so that you can use packet-filtering/blocking features, isn't going to "hurt" internet access speeds. Until someone has an internet connection faster than 120 megabits per second.
I think that's only true if you don't use encrypted WiFi and/or VPN and/or USB storage access at the same time. One would at least have to know the CPU utilisation duiring this LAN - WAN test.

Necroposting but useful information. I have a 1000/1000 internet connection here. Without HW acceleration, I get something around 240/240, with HW acceleration I get 920/950, so there is an insane difference for me.

Another necropost, but hey, confirming, just went to Fios Gigabit and was limited by QoS to ~250-300mbps. Enabled HW Accel now getting 600+mbps. wow.

Just adding an update to the post. I have 1000/1000 internet as well. With HW acceleration disabled I'm getting 250 down and around 170-200 up. With HW acceleration enabled I can pull 900+ down and 850+ up. I'd love to use Merlin's monitor traffic by IP but I can't forgo the speed loss!