What's new

I am surprised about getting 800 Mbps over wireless (Wi-Fi 6)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Sure it is right next to the router but still amazing.

Not that it is necessary for a wireless device. Not really.

Still I find it fascinating!

Poco F3 to GT-AX6000 manages just north of 900Mbps across most of the house here across a supposed 1200Mbps connection

I can push Wifi 6 to around 2Gbps by using 160 MHz channels when nobody's around on the same channels. Yep, twice the speed of Gigabit Ethernet...

I can push Wifi 6 to around 2Gbps by using 160 MHz channels when nobody's around on the same channels. Yep, twice the speed of Gigabit Ethernet...
Would you mind sharing your WiFi settings? I just bought this router recently and would like to make sure I'm as optimized as possible. Thanks.

It is usually more about what the existing wireless environment is from neighbors and your own gear as well as the physical (building) caused RF reflections and attenuation through obstacles than specific optimized settings on the radios. Sometimes reducing transmitted power is important. Usually, the client radio matters as much as anything.

With my AX11000 Can easily pull around 1700mbps over WiFi in the same room with my S22 Ultra, and on the other end of the house around 800mbps. Can even pull right at close to 200mbps on 2.4GHz in the same room of course. At least with the AX11000 2.4GHz range is only slightly better but its useless past a certain point. At 250ish feet away from my house outside I can pull close to 300mbps on 5GHz but 2.4GHz maybe 2mbps.

Only 1 other wifi network around so enviorment is pretty clean

Would you mind sharing your WiFi settings? I just bought this router recently and would like to make sure I'm as optimized as possible. Thanks.
You need to be in a region that allows DFS channels, and to enable 160 MHz in the router's wireless settings.

About everything else is largely kept to their default settings.

You need to be in a region that allows DFS channels, and to enable 160 MHz in the router's wireless settings.

About everything else is largely kept to their default settings.
I believe I am in a region that allows DFS channels since I see that setting on my router and can select it. However, when I check after connecting to my WiFi, it seems I'm always on the 80 bands even though 160 is manually set. Am I missing something?

what is your client radio capable of ?
I'm not sure what that means but I am using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and a MacBook Pro 2018.

2.4 Gbps / 1.9 Gbps over WiFi 6 160Mhz (RT-AX86U)

wifi6-160mhz.png

Is this an optimal setup? My oldest device is an iPhone XS and MacBook Pro 2018.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 5.03.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 5.03.35 PM.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 114
I believe I am in a region that allows DFS channels since I see that setting on my router and can select it. However, when I check after connecting to my WiFi, it seems I'm always on the 80 bands even though 160 is manually set. Am I missing something?
Your clients may not be capable of 160 MHz.

Another manufacturer like Dell. Only cutting edge in their minds. Lol

Reactions: #TY
Apple does not support 160MHz in any mode

Because they are always after user experience and 160MHz is not needed on a phone/tablet and is not guaranteed for desktop/laptop. I've seen already statements "but I paid for it and it has to work" about Asus routers. Apple avoids selling experimental and/or not guaranteed.

Because they are always after user experience and 160MHz is not needed on a phone/tablet and is not guaranteed for desktop/laptop.

Apple doesn't support MU-MIMO nor Wide Channels in 2.4GHz...

That being said, all of their 802.11ac capable devices do support important things like WPA3, 802.11r/k/v, and so forth - those do improve the user experience and security.

Since they write their own drivers, they focus on features that work well...

That says much actually... there's a lot of things in 802.11ac and 802.11ax that actually are not implemented as they don't provide any utility - it's that companies want to get SEP (Standards Essential Patents) into the specs..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!