What's new

I can't connect to my ISP with firmware 3.0.0.4_376.48_1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VVS

Regular Contributor
I can't connect to my ISP with firmware after 3.0.0.4_376.47_0

Hi!
I tried to update firmvare from 3.0.0.4_376.47_0 to 3.0.0.4_376.48_1
But on 3.0.0.4_376.48_1 I have error "Too many retransmission..." and I can't connect to my provider.
I return to 3.0.0.4_376.47_0 - all works without problem.

Last edited:
Which router?

Did you try a factory reset to defaults and manually entering the basic settings to get the router up and running?

Which router?
Router is in my signature. :)
ASUS RT-N66U
Did you try a factory reset to defaults and manually entering the basic settings to get the router up and running?
No, I have not tried it.
But for the previous firmware updates it is not required.
To connect to ISP, there are only 4 options - login, password, protocol and the server of authorization.
What's there to reset to the default state?

I always wonder why this is the first advice i saw always when there is a problem with the router...

...untill i remembered the first advice when there is a problem with windows systems:

Newbie question:

- I have a problem setting up the correct time in my windows desktop clock gadget ; What can i do?

Expert solution:

- Easy! Format your system HDD and reinstall windows then setup your gadget time!

:rolleyes:

Is this obvious solution for a windows problem the best and only solution for any problem in linux firmwares?

Are we always killing flies with shotguns?

:confused:

I'm a newbie in everyting related to firmwares but i think there must be an alternative to this ABSOLUTIST solution. (No i'm not thinking in RMA!)

For some reason after this update I had to power off my modem for a few min before it got an IP.

I understand correctly, I can not wait for help on this forum?

I always wonder why this is the first advice i saw always when there is a problem with the router...

...untill i remembered the first advice when there is a problem with windows systems:

Newbie question:

- I have a problem setting up the correct time in my windows desktop clock gadget ; What can i do?

Expert solution:

- Easy! Format your system HDD and reinstall windows then setup your gadget time!

:rolleyes:

Is this obvious solution for a windows problem the best and only solution for any problem in linux firmwares?

Are we always killing flies with shotguns?

:confused:

I'm a newbie in everyting related to firmwares but i think there must be an alternative to this ABSOLUTIST solution. (No i'm not thinking in RMA!)

Yes, there is a different solution. Asus publishes the source of the firmware. You can delve into a heap of code and backtrack what is going wrong, but it would take you at least a day, if the problem resides in the open source code. Then there are also closed source drivers which are impossible to debug. And since Asus doesn't publish any documentation, the quickest approach to resolving problems is to start with a "clean" router. There are many examples to be found that this approach solved problems within an hour.

This is, of course, not very satisfactory, I also want to know the root cause of any problem, but sometimes it just takes too much time.

Then there is another thing to be said for "reset first". It forces the owner through a steps he did to configure the router. This exercise has given multiple owners a "wait a minute.../oops..." moment which led to the resolution of the problem.

@VVS, you can try and wait till someone shows up with a resolution to your problem, but unless there is someone with a similar setup who has resolved his problem, I do not think it likely that your problem will be resolved.

If you start with a clean setup (the router has hundreds of internal parameters and any one of them can be interfering with your configuration) and then post the steps which lead to your problems, there is a chance that someone is willing to help you in your debug process.

If you start with a clean setup (the router has hundreds of internal parameters and any one of them can be interfering with your configuration) and then post the steps which lead to your problems, there is a chance that someone is willing to help you in your debug process.
TNX
This is a well-known problem for my ISP.
It is associated with some features of the implementation of the L2TP in the provider's equipment.
I understand you and will just wait for the new firmware from ASUS.

Doing a reset to default and entering only the most basic information to get the router up and running is not a shot gun approach to fixing a router's issues. From one firmware to the next, the same variables may be used differently or with different syntax or even not be used in the previous firmware version and suddenly be required in the new version. This can cause issues as the way those variables are used is not consistent from version to version and a reset to defaults with a manual and minimal entering of basic configuration settings fixes things.

Have you tried turning off your ISP's modem for at least half an hour, including all your other network equipment? I would also leave the equipment unplugged too to fully drain any leftover charge too.

After the time is up, plug in the modem and let it boot up for a good 5 minutes or so.

Do the same thing with the router and then finally any other network equipment you have (switches, etc.). With this step done, bring up one wired client to setup the router with and this should at least get you connected to the internet.

Waiting for a new firmware when you don't want to reset to factory defaults may not solve you issues for a long time. Flashing the firmware level you want and then doing a reset is at most a 10 minute job. Yet here you are five days later with no real resolution in sight.

The analogy you provided with the Windows issue is not the same. That is an example of a bad 'expert' giving advice.

This is a matter of fixing an issue in the least amount of time and frustration. Not the same thing.

But I guess you have more time and patience than most of us here? :)

But I guess you have more time and patience than most of us here? :)
No, it's not that.
The fact that I know very well about this error.
It has been discussed on the forum of my provider.
This error is caused by the incompatibility of provider's equipment with the firmware of the router.
In this situation factory reset etc. does not help.
This fact has been repeatedly tested.

Thanks for the addition info.

Just curious why you want to stick with a proprietary ISP (if an option is even possible) or hold on to a router and / or even wait for a firmware that I believe will never come so that it fixes what the ISP has broken?

Just curious why you want to stick with a proprietary ISP (if an option is even possible) or hold on to a router and / or even wait for a firmware that I believe will never come so that it fixes what the ISP has broken?
With firmware 3.0.0.4_376.45_0, 3.0.0.4_376.47_0 and previous everything works perfectly at this router and this provider.
I pay about $11 per month for a tariff with an unlimited traffic and the speed 100Mbit.
Why should I change?:)

With firmware 3.0.0.4_376.45_0, 3.0.0.4_376.47_0 and previous everything works perfectly at this router and this provider.
I pay about $11 per month for a tariff with an unlimited traffic and the speed 100Mbit.
Why should I change?:)

Lol... I wouldn't change either. :D

did you ever figure out what this might be? I have the same issue going beyond .47. My ISP (Charter) is just a straight DHCP connection. If I downgrade to .47, I pull an IP fine. If I upgrade to any .48x version, it won't pull an IP from my cable modem no matter what. I reset to defaults, and still the same issue. Same router (n66u)

Last edited:
The story continues...

Firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.47_0 works without problems.

All other firmware (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_1, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_0, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_2, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_4, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.49_5, RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378.50_0)
does not establish a connection with the error:
Too many retransmissions on tunnel (---/---); closing down

I doubt this will help since I don't think I even understand exactly what the problem your having is but have you tried setting the DHCP query frequency from aggressive to normal?

I doubt this will help since I don't think I even understand exactly what the problem your having is but have you tried setting the DHCP query frequency from aggressive to normal?
Where can I see this setting?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-02-09_10-32-29.jpg
    2015-02-09_10-32-29.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 432

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!