What's new

I want to buy router for 1Gbps internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And you dont think that the "Edge Router X" or "MediaTek", Routers with WIFI "Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800", ASUS RT-AC88U, will do that for you?

Interesting. I don't know how to measure Xbox speeds however. My TWC cable only provides 50 down and 10 up at best of times.

I like to buy equipment that exceeds my current needs because you never know what your future needs will be. The GF box might turn out to be just fine, but I do want a firewall and a few other things that it does not provide.

The Xbox has a network testing tool in the settings that tells you what download and upload speeds you are getting. My equipment is good enough to handle the Gigabit internet speeds I have but for some reason the Xbox isn't getting those speeds that's why I'm curious what others who have similar setups are getting, and why mine is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Xbox has a network testing tool in the settings that tells you what download and upload speeds you are getting. My equipment is good enough to handle the Gigabit internet speeds I have but for some reason the Xbox isn't getting those speeds that's why I'm curious what others who have similar setups are getting, and why mine is lacking.

XBone doesn't need that much bandwidth for gameplay - latency is the bigger issue...

Bandwidth comes into play with DLC...

I'll certainly try the GF box first, but like you I want a firewall and perhaps other things it doesn't offer. All my stuff is Apple including my current router, so anything I buy needs to support Apple features like AirPrint and bonjour etc. That's soemthing else I'll need to investigate before picking a router I guess.
Are you using your router to host a printer? AirPrint and bonjour generally have nothing to do with your router unless you are hosting a printer directly off the router or have multiple subnets.

From what I know about the generation GF router is its biggest limitation is the limited port-forwarding features...as well as no control over the outbound FW policy.

I found the AC68U to be entirely underpowered, in fact my old N56U is significantly faster. Keep in mind that if your carrier requires VLAN tagging and PPPoE that none of the routed benchmarks matter to you as they don't actually represent that, and the PPPoE is the achilles heal in many of these platforms as it is often single threaded and entirely CPU driven.

True but there are exceptions. Edgerouter X can handle both VLAN tagging and PPPoE on the WAN interface and yet truly hardware accelerated. It can do 500/500 full duplex or for most home users near 1Gbps download or upload (just not simultaneously) is no problem. :)

Unless it's an Asus router, as things there tend to be not very Apple friendly...
We only have a handful of Apple devices while most are either Windows or Android. What makes the Asus non-Apple friendly? Mostly wanting to better educate myself on this one.

XBone doesn't need that much bandwidth for gameplay - latency is the bigger issue...

Bandwidth comes into play with DLC...

Agree but should I not see my top Mbps when I do the speed test in the Xbox Network settings? Why would I only see 130-160 Mbps when I have 1Gbps connection and the Xbox has a Gigabit network card? I expect to see 900ish Mbps?

Agree but should I not see my top Mbps when I do the speed test in the Xbox Network settings? Why would I only see 130-160 Mbps when I have 1Gbps connection and the Xbox has a Gigabit network card? I expect to see 900ish Mbps?

There could be multiple reasons. It can be very difficult for a single data stream to reach over 200Mbps over the Internet. It really comes down to the overall latency of the connection and the available bandwidth along the entire path from your system to the far end server that is sending you data. The only time I can reach speeds anywhere near my rated speed is only if I hit the test server hosted by Google in KC...and even then it depends on time of day if I can hit 900Mbps+. If I hit any server other than GF, I rarely get above 300Mbps. Now what I can do is open multiple browsers across 2-3 PCs and test and I can easily hit 900Mbps+.

What are you doing on the XBOX that needs more speed? I think that is what is perplexing some of us. Is there really an issue to be resolved, or do you just want the speed tests to show uber speeds no matter the cost?

There could be multiple reasons. It can be very difficult for a single data stream to reach over 200Mbps over the Internet. It really comes down to the overall latency of the connection and the available bandwidth along the entire path from your system to the far end server that is sending you data. The only time I can reach speeds anywhere near my rated speed is only if I hit the test server hosted by Google in KC...and even then it depends on time of day if I can hit 900Mbps+. If I hit any server other than GF, I rarely get above 300Mbps. Now what I can do is open multiple browsers across 2-3 PCs and test and I can easily hit 900Mbps+.

What are you doing on the XBOX that needs more speed? I think that is what is perplexing some of us. Is there really an issue to be resolved, or do you just want the speed tests to show uber speeds no matter the cost?

Nothing major on the Xbox, game play has been fine, its more about just wanting to see those number, expecting to see them. I have a MacPro (2008) and a MacBook Pro (2013) both of which have gigabit ethernet connections, the MacBook Pro is using one of Apples thunderbolt dongle network adapters, but both hard wired into the router and just the MacBook Pro gets the 900-950 consistent speed when I do a speed test. The house is setup with the fiber directly to the modem. So I guess since day one of the install of my Gigablast Fiber, its been an obsession to get to see the numbers I thought I would on these devices, but only seeing them on one of the 3 kind of bugs me, thats all. My latency on the Xbox is 0, so I'm happy there again no issues, more just figured I'd see higher numbers there. I understand what you are saying though and will try not to obsess anymore over it, I'm happy with the bandwidth I get and over all performance from it all.

I just want to better understand, if my xbox and MacPro can get close to 900Mbps speeds, why don't they, and if they aren't why aren't they etc...

I see many are continuing to suggest one BHR (Big Honking Router (c) @sfx2000) after another, all while perhaps forgetting these boxes pull much of their WAN-LAN numbers via offload schemes, which get disabled and send throughput right into the toilet as soon as one goes to do anything of consequence via CPU...

So if that's an issue, then x86, Tilera or similar architectures would be a better answer. Not sure if this fits the OP's use-case or skillset, but it will definitely get you the throughput your looking for with little to no weaknesses in terms of things you can/can't run on the box.

As long as we're pondering $200-300 BHRs, I figured it was at least worth a mention. :)

Last edited:
The house is setup with the fiber directly to the modem. So I guess since day one of the install of my Gigablast Fiber, its been an obsession to get to see the numbers I thought I would on these devices, but only seeing them on one of the 3 kind of bugs me, thats all.
I understand this 100% I as I also recently was fortunate enough to have a gigabit FTTH ISP available to me. Believe me, I've ran speedtest on just about every speedtest site available and they are all not created equal. I'm lucky to hit 200 Mbps on some of them. Forgive my ignorance on the Xbox speedtest but is this a built in test? Or can you choose the test site it uses? If it's pre-configured my guess is that the site they are using doesn't have the capacity to saturate a gigabit connection as very few people have access to that fast of a connection. And as mentioned earlier in the thread it generally takes multiple data streams to saturate a gigabit line.

I understand this 100% I as I also recently was fortunate enough to have a gigabit FTTH ISP available to me. Believe me, I've ran speedtest on just about every speedtest site available and they are all not created equal. I'm lucky to hit 200 Mbps on some of them. Forgive my ignorance on the Xbox speedtest but is this a built in test? Or can you choose the test site it uses? If it's pre-configured my guess is that the site they are using doesn't have the capacity to saturate a gigabit connection as very few people have access to that fast of a connection. And as mentioned earlier in the thread it generally takes multiple data streams to saturate a gigabit line.

Its a built in speed test, you can't pick where to go, so you're probably right about the actual test itself. You just select "Detailed Network Statistic" in the Network Settings, then it just shows "Checking Connection" and has a spinning circle while it does it test, then comes back with your data, mine just now shows Download Speed 133.70Mbps, Upload 505.63Mbps, Packet Loss 0%, MTU 1480, Latency 66ms.
So who knows where its actually testing from, but the fact I've seen YouTubers test it out and get a lot more on the download side still puzzles me. I'm all but giving up on the seeing those numbers now though, tired of the OCD.

The latency at 66ms seems a little high to me. Perhaps the speedtest server is far away from you and those posting higher speeds are closer to the server.

The latency at 66ms seems a little high to me. Perhaps the speedtest server is far away from you and those posting higher speeds are closer to the server.

That is something I didn't consider. Good point!
So 66ms is slow huh? I didn't think it was.

latency matters...

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 8.06.40 PM.png

So my XBOX One was getting that 66ms latency, but when I did the test from my MacPro it was 2ms. The weird thing is when I do the speed test from speedtest.net I have to select a location closest to me, which is Oklahoma City, but the test for some reason thinks I'm in Arizona, so the little animation it does, showing the little arching signal from a little person looking figure to the destination, that little person is in Arizona, which indicates where the person running the test is located, but I'm not in Arizona, I'm in OKC, so this kind of bothers me too, its always in the past shown me here in OKC doing a test to OKC, not Arizona to OKC.

Very odd and leads me to believe something is misconfigured on the Cox side of my setup. It shouldn't show me coming from Arizona with my IP, even when I do a speedtest here at work, our Cox line shows me here in OKC. Both home and work are Cox ISP.

This is my speedtest from work, its showing me testing in OKC to OKC, but at home it shows me in Arizona to OKC, very weird. Don't know if you can tell but that picture shows the guy in OKC and also the pyramid in OKC, thats showing me inside the entire state of Oklahoma, but when I do this same test from home it shows the guy in Arizona and the pyramid in OKC. Something is off.
Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 9.05.02 AM.png

I found this on the speedtest web site about the wrong location:
To provide customers with accurate Speedtest.net results we use a widely deployed technology called GeoIP. This service estimates your location using your IP address but only very approximately. At best it can only tell us which city or town you live in and occasionally it is accurate down to an entire postal code block.

Using this estimated location, if you use the BEGIN TEST button and do not have a preferred server, we very quickly check the latency (ping time) of what appear to be the Test Servers closest to you and select the one with the best performance.

Sometimes however, the GeoIP service provides us with an inaccurate location, which is usually caused by outdated information in their database. We have no control over this and can only go from what they tell us. Examples of the cause include recently reassigned IP address blocks that have not yet been updated in MaxMind's database, the company we use for GeoIP.

If you or your customer are being depicted in the wrong location there are 3 methods to attempt to resolve this error:

1) Create a free account at Speedtest.net, login, and then go to your Settings page.
Use the "Refine Location" button in the “Connection Manager” section. This is the easiest, fastest, and most successful way to correct your location but it will only work if you are on a WiFi Network. It uses WiFi triangulation to estimate your location but does a pretty good job very often.

2) In the event “Refined Location” fails or you do not wish to create a free account with Speedtest.net, we suggest that you or more likely your ISP contact Maxmind to complete their correction form. Find this form at: http://www.maxmind.com/en/correction

• Be sure to fill out the top enclosures for “IP Address Location Correction”
  • Your IP address can be found & copied by going to Speedtest.net and selecting your IP address in the bottom corner of the Speedtest. Performing this action will automatically copy the address. Fill out the reset of the MaxMind form accordingly and select “Submit”. The process of updating your location in MaxMind will take at the least 1-2 weeks to be reviewed and corrected.
3) It can take 1-2 weeks for MaxMind to process that form. Accordingly, you can temporarily (or even permanently) manually select a preferred server on your Settings page in the "Global Settings" section. There are over 2000 servers to select from and likely one very near to you.
Note: Clearing your web browser's cache will remove your select preferred server, unless you have an account with Speedtest.net.

I apologize, I think I've derailed this thread with my own issues, I need to probably relocate this if its not relating to the OP.

Last edited:
So if that's an issue, then x86, Tilera or similar architectures would be a better answer. Not sure if this fits the OP's use-case or skillset, but it will definitely get you the throughput your looking for with little to no weaknesses in terms of things you can/can't run on the box.

As long as we're pondering $200-300 BHRs, I figured it was at least worth a mention. :)
Hence the reason I am running pfSense on a $50 refurbed HP Business desktop with 3 Gig cards in it. My Asus RT-N66U are only being used as Access Points.

66ms isn't "horrible" for web browsing and is pretty normal for a lot of ISPs unfortunately. Before GF came to my part of Kansas City I was on Time Warner. My speeds were great with Time Warner (300/20), but my latency was absolutely horrible. Latency to my work was usually 90-120ms. When I finally got Google, my latency to work dropped to 12-20ms. I could care less about speeds as long as I have at least 50Mbps....I care waaaaaaaaay more about overall latency to the sites that I access.

Why does your XBOX show so different on performance than your Mac? It sounds like what the tool/site is using for GeoIP has some bad info or just a limited set of test servers and therefore you end up hitting a server outside of your local area.

Why does your XBOX show so different on performance than your Mac? It sounds like what the tool/site is using for GeoIP has some bad info or just a limited set of test servers and therefore you end up hitting a server outside of your local area.

Yeah I don't know what Microsoft is using on the Xbox1 for the network speed tests, they mask it and it just runs and comes back with the info I shared. Wished I had more control over it, so I could get a better test reading. It is weird that my MacPro and MacBook Pro which both can get 500+ download and 600+ upload but the Xbox from same exact cable tests with 150ish download and 400ish upload. Doesn't make sense to me. I could be the HDD in the Xbox is a pretty slow one and maybe not able to handle the speedtest the same, my two Mac's have SSDs, the Xbox I guess from what I'm reading has a 5400 HDD?

Here is the example from home, where this test thinks I'm at...I think I just have to get my location updated, the database has an older location for my IP.
But see where it thinks I'm in Arizon and testing back to Oklahoma? lol...

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 10.54.10 PM.png