What's new

I want to buy router for 1Gbps internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see many are continuing to suggest one BHR (Big Honking Router (c) @sfx2000) after another, all while perhaps forgetting these boxes pull much of their WAN-LAN numbers via offload schemes, which get disabled and send throughput right into the toilet as soon as one goes to do anything of consequence via CPU...

So if that's an issue, then x86, Tilera or similar architectures would be a better answer. Not sure if this fits the OP's use-case or skillset, but it will definitely get you the throughput your looking for with little to no weaknesses in terms of things you can/can't run on the box.

As long as we're pondering $200-300 BHRs, I figured it was at least worth a mention. :)
Well I appreciate the mention, but that sounds a bit like a project (I.E. hobby) and right now woodworking has my attention more than configuring a PC based router.

Well I appreciate the mention, but that sounds a bit like a project (I.E. hobby) and right now woodworking has my attention more than configuring a PC based router.

If you would rather not go down the "build your own Linux firewall" rabbit hole, I hear the new Asus BRT-AC828 is more than capable of 1Gbps throughput. Not sure if you can buy one yet...

If you would rather not go down the "build your own Linux firewall" rabbit hole, I hear the new Asus BRT-AC828 is more than capable of 1Gbps throughput. Not sure if you can buy one yet...
RT-AC1900P also supports dual WAN interface