What's new

Icons on ASUS Router web page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
Hi,

My ASUS RT-AC86U shows two icons for wireless-connected devices on the network map page:

icons.png

What is the difference between the two?

I am using the Merlin firmware but I suspect that is not important.

Could be some are using the wave theory vs. others using the particle theory of radio wave propagation?

Did those icons survive a reboot or power cycle?
That list of attached devices is a bit weird.
Mine frequently shows devices that haven't been powered on for days.
They also return after a Refresh.
It also shows phantom devices that don't return after a reboot.
This is on both ASUS and Merlin FW.

BobD,

It survives a power cycle.

Only one device has that icon:
ting.png

Ting is a device that plugs into the wall and monitors the electrical system for anomalies. I have no idea if it really works but my insurance company (State Farm) sent it to me unsolicited.

That unusual icon must mean something!

A Google image search turns up nothing.

Ting is a device that plugs into the wall and monitors the electrical system for anomalies. I have no idea if it really works but my insurance company (State Farm) sent it to me unsolicited.
That Ting might be a good thing to get rid of. If you have an electrical surge that kills a few gadgets then your insurance may use that to avoid a payout.

A clue...
When I rebooted the router all my devices reconnected and the log shows many entries like this:

Sep 27 16:24:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth5: Assoc 38: DE:AD:A6: D1:12, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

All are "eth5" or "eth6." All are wireless devices, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The Ting has a different log entry:

Sep 27 16:34:47 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): wl0.1: Assoc C4:7F:51:A6:46:3D, status: Successful (0), rssi:0

Note the "wl0.1." No other device has a log entry like that

So, what does Wl0.1 mean?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!