What's new

Ideal home router for VoIP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

but there seems to be a real loss of Speed and quite possibly Interference

I would say find how to disable Wi-Fi on BT device, because you're in UK and only Ch.42 (36-48 @80MHz) may be available to you in non-DFS range. There is a chance both your routers fight for the same channels. Here in North America is different - I can have 2 routers side by side working on Ch.42 and Ch.155 (149-161 @80MHz) and set on Auto. Your situation is a bit region specific and I know it because I have a place in Europe too.

There is a chance both your routers fight for the same channels.

Only if both wireless SSID's are actively being used - an idle AP transmitting a beacon only has barely any interference...

That being said - if one can turn off the SH2 wifi, one probably should - or, as a side thought, use that wifi for IoT devices, keeping them off the primary network provided by the Asus router...

Only if both wireless SSID's are actively being used

Correct. We don't know what uses this BT device though, what the Wi-Fi environment looks like and what settings the Asus router has (perhaps Auto?). I'm offering the safest option with better success chances for someone not very familiar how things work. Further in this discussion we may find Ch.106 the best... I don't know. I remember @BreakingDad was using lower DFS range successfully in UK. Let's make the connections first and well help @Willem_1 to get better performance. Double NAT is not the issue here.

Correct. We don't know what uses this BT device though, what the Wi-Fi environment looks like and what settings the Asus router has (perhaps Auto?). I'm offering the safest option with better success chances for someone not very familiar how things work. Further in this discussion we may find Ch.106 the best... I don't know. I remember @BreakingDad was using lower DFS range successfully in UK. Let's make the connections first and well help @Willem_1 to get better performance. Double NAT is not the issue here.
DFS Channel 64 on 5ghz is my go to channel, I live near an airport (a small one) as well and never had an issue with it. I get ludicrously fast wifi through it. I live on an average street surrounded by Sky, BT and Virgin users. Channel 11 for 2.4ghz

I am really enjoying learning from your contributions, thank you so much.
Yesterday I started wiping off the BT SH2 all the Deviced Registered on it for Wi-Fi.

I noted the VoIP Phone Handsets have a seperate Register on there, I will leave that there and make no adjustments on those.

Today I hope to ensure that I take the Final Wi-Fi and LAN Devices of the BT SH2, at a time that there is going to be hardly any activity here.

Yesterday I managed to ensure that all Wi-Fi and LAN Devices have been allocated to the ASUS RT-AX86U, so that it should be ready to carry everything except teh DECT VoIP Handsets (Hopefully that will lessen Interference after I Switch off the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Channels on the BT SH2...

However today I noted that the RT-AX86U has suffered greatly with speed dropping to about half of what we usually get (Even with the BT SH2 on LAN), but on teh up we have had much more stable Data Flow today with more solid connections.

I am actually enjoying this challange and learning more - especially from this Discussion Board.

A BIG thank you to all of you chaps:

Tech9

sfx2000

CaptainSTX

BreakingDad

However today I noted that the RT-AX86U has suffered greatly with speed dropping to about half of what we usually get

Some home gateways are actually very capable devices with very high specs, even above high-end home routers. I don't know what model is your BT device, but I've seen ISP provided gateways with Intel Atom based CPUs and they will crush most home routers in processing power. Unfortunately, most ISPs will severely limit firmware options available to users in order to minimize support costs. I mean, not all ISP home gateways are crap and sometimes replacing the built-in Wi-Fi for something else may not result in expected performance gains.

OK back to square one after I managed to clear the BT SH2 of all Devices save the LAN Dekstop PC. I switched off Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on teh BT SH2, and then had to place the BT SH2 as Gateway from the Modem Upstream of the ASUS RT-AX86U on the FTTP Line, just to get the flippin VoIP up again (If I could just get rid of the BT SH2 and somehow retain the VoIP Connection... But I am getting the feeling this is intentionally designed so that you are completely dependent on BT Hub).
At this rate I am just going to give up and throw away the ASUS ASUS RT-AX86U... Or suck up the coming Divorce.

OK back to square one after I managed to clear the BT SH2 of all Devices save the LAN Dekstop PC. I switched off Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on teh BT SH2, and then had to place the BT SH2 as Gateway from the Modem Upstream of the ASUS RT-AX86U on the FTTP Line, just to get the flippin VoIP up again (If I could just get rid of the BT SH2 and somehow retain the VoIP Connection... But I am getting the feeling this is intentionally designed so that you are completely dependent on BT Hub).
At this rate I am just going to give up and throw away the ASUS ASUS RT-AX86U... Or suck up the coming Divorce.
Or change isp :)

If you're throwing out the ax86u, let me know where so I can dig it out the bin.

Alternatively use the bt for broadband, cancel it's landline and get another voip service they're pretty cheap.

Seriously though, check this out before any of the above, it might help , https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-ph...ice-with-different-Router/td-p/2095493/page/9 (Post 88 and Post 90)

Last edited:
Some home gateways are actually very capable devices with very high specs, even above high-end home routers.

I agree - some of the newer Netgear and Technicolor RG's have high end radio support - usually 4 stream QC-Atheros or Quantenna radios with WiFi6.

Not a lot of value add features, but basic routing/firewall/LAN/WLAN is good and robust , and for many, more than good enough - one of the things that are hitting the consumer router/AP markets on the store shelves - stores don't stock what they can't sell...

and for many, more than good enough

Many ISP customers don't know what an IP address is. Most gateways are set by ISP technicians and the SSID/pass was given to the customer. If YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Instagram... are all loading - life's good. Some pay for Gigabit Internet on promotion and use the 2.4GHz network.

Last edited:
That is very good stuff BreakingDad, I will look at it again tommorrow maybe (I am running on empty and getiing hits from all sides... I have not even showered for 3 days now)...

I did manage to get the RT-AX86U upstream from the BT SM21 with VoIP passing right through, but then teh Internet got shut off (I cannot quite remember whym but it could have been as the Setup I used for the RT-AX86U was for AP...
But it showed that the VoIP DECT Handset could pass through through the BT SH2 with RT-AX86U acting as a kind of Gateway upstream, with Voice Calls going fine both ways (Up and Downstream). I even had my Mobile Phone using "Signal" App and using the VoIP DECT Handset to make and receive Calls, but then my Desktop just clammed up (Which was weird, considering Data passed through my Mobile Phone via the Router/s)/

I was all over the settings today and Factory Reset so often that it has become the thing I spent doing most the last 2 days...

Hopefully I can shower some time, get something solid to eat (Fat Chance of that happening - it will be Crips and Yoghurt for Brunchinner ~ lol)

I am paste - thanks a million chaps. I thought I had the win today, but lost it all again as I needed to Factory Reset as I cannot recall what I did moments before (Terrible Short Term Memory here).

I hope you all have a really good rest and day ahead.

Thank you so much for all you do and your time!

I believe the forum below will allow you to shower more often:

Most SNB Forums users have no idea what BT device you are talking about and what VoIP services it comes with.