What's new

If router in AP Mode do I still need to do VLAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FormBurden

New Around Here
I ended up replacing my Router with Opnsense and turned my two Asus routers into AP mode. And since I’m about to dive into the world of VLANs, very specifically VLAN Tags, the info I sadly cannot find anywhere is if the router is in AP mode, would I still have to create the VLAN Network also on my AP device?

For example, here is my setup:

Internet > OPNsense > Asus AP Router > VLAN capable Switch > Server

And if you‘re wondering about just switching the AP Router and VLAN Switch around, so I wouldn’t even really need the AP Router for VLAN. I would do this, but my router is capable of 2.5G speed and my IP provider is 1.2Gbit speed. So I’d want the full bandwidth vs getting maxed at 1Gb speed. And I’m not ready to purchase a 10GB speed switch yet. So yeah.

Router in question is ASUS RT-AX86U. I would try Tomato or other firmware, BUT, AX routers aren’t supported sadly. Probably due to the broadcom difference or whatever that AC routers have.

All the info I could really find on the subject, was the Router (Asus-Merlin) being a router and the firewall (nothing like OPNsense in the situation). But wanting to do a VLAN and an AP Router is in the path, yeah, no info about that. That I could find.

What I’m asking, is if a Router is in AP Mode, and it’s in the path along a switch and a main Firewall (such as OPNsense), would I still need to have VLAN settings in the AP Mode router? Especially for VLAN Tagging/trunks.

I ended up replacing my Router with Opnsense and turned my two Asus routers into AP mode. And since I’m about to dive into the world of VLANs, very specifically VLAN Tags, the info I sadly cannot find anywhere is if the router is in AP mode, would I still have to create the VLAN Network also on my AP device?

For example, here is my setup:

Internet > OPNsense > Asus AP Router > VLAN capable Switch > Server

And if you‘re wondering about just switching the AP Router and VLAN Switch around, so I wouldn’t even really need the AP Router for VLAN. I would do this, but my router is capable of 2.5G speed and my IP provider is 1.2Gbit speed. So I’d want the full bandwidth vs getting maxed at 1Gb speed. And I’m not ready to purchase a 10GB speed switch yet. So yeah.

Router in question is ASUS RT-AX86U. I would try Tomato or other firmware, BUT, AX routers aren’t supported sadly. Probably due to the broadcom difference or whatever that AC routers have.

All the info I could really find on the subject, was the Router (Asus-Merlin) being a router and the firewall (nothing like OPNsense in the situation). But wanting to do a VLAN and an AP Router is in the path, yeah, no info about that. That I could find.

What I’m asking, is if a Router is in AP Mode, and it’s in the path along a switch and a main Firewall (such as OPNsense), would I still need to have VLAN settings in the AP Mode router? Especially for VLAN Tagging/trunks.

In AP mode there are no routing functions or VLAN settings available .

From theASUS Adminstration tab :

Routers in AP mode connect to a wireless router through an Ethernet cable to extend the wireless signal to other network clients. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled by default.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!