What's new

I'm new - router recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see on ASUS website the RT-AX6000 is priced at $259.99 right now. Not bad.

Is that $260 USD regular pricing, or special discount? And is the RT-AX88U_Pro MSRP, or scalper pricing from a reseller?
What prices is the AX88 Pro going for in Canada and US?

UK pricings remain stubbornly high for even AX routers. Looks like current pricing is about £350 or $420 - quite a way above your scalper price!

Forum Hot Deals
I posted the GT-AX6000 Amazon $260 (USD) link, which is current, as of posting.
Product is New, and sold/shipped by Amazon.

Last edited:
I don't see any Pro models currently available in popular retailer places in Canada. Like usual everything new will be expensive.

I don't see any Pro models currently available in popular retailer places in Canada. Like usual everything new will be expensive.
But you have such nice natural scenery, all live in cosy log cabins with roaring fires, a Tim Hortons within 100 yards of every property and an extra faucet that has maple syrup coming from it. You can't have everything.

But you have such nice natural scenery

True.

1679242966405.png

CanadaComputers lists both the RT-AX86U_PRO and RT-AX88U_PRO but as backordered, but at least we have pricing.

Pricing is also in line with what I would expect:

GT-AX6000: $429 CAD
RT-AX88U_PRO: $399 CAD
RT-AX86U_PRO: $389 CAD

That $260 USD price must be a special discount, because both Amazon and CC show the GT-AX6000 at the same $429 CAD price.

I actually see 2x GT-AX11000 Pro available in CC local store - CAD530 with 50 discount. Anyone with AiMesh ideas around? CAD1200 after tax.

I actually see 2x GT-AX11000 Pro available in CC local store - CAD530 with 50 discount. Anyone with AiMesh ideas around? CAD1200 after tax.
The GT-AX11000_PRO is a bit older than the two others, might be why they are starting to show up in stock in Canada.

These high-end models are always slower to reach Canadian store shelves. Back in the day, I remember waiting a few months for the RT-N66U to finally appear at NCIX, while US retailers had been selling it for a few months already.

Can't go wrong with GT-AX11000 Pro though - the only model I see marketed as ROG and Pro at the same time. :)

As far as regular US Pricing goes taken from asus website the GT-AX6000 is 329 and AX88U Pro is 349. With that pricing and from those options i would get the 88U Pro.
However considering that the AX6000 price now is 259 this makes it the obvious better deal. They are extremely similar so that 90 bucks off is def the way to go.

Interesting to see the variations - thanks for the responses.

Canada seems to benefit against US pricing (judging by exchange rates) where the UK gets the good old "just swap the currency symbol" treatment.

Depressingly a number of places here are still selling AC routers for the same amount you can get a GT AX6000 in the US on sale.

Then again with our broadband infrastructure the way it is, I can see why Asus aren't rushing to bring the 2.5gig routers to the UK.

Glad I saw this thread yesterday. My trusty old AX88U started to become unstable. I suspect a heat related problem (or two). Added a small fan to the top - still crashed after a day.
Ordered an AX88U Pro (Amazon)m- arriving today! Glad there is an Asuswrt-merlin alpha - I have a pretty long DHCP static list and rely on YazDHCP.

I have a pretty long DHCP static list

I've become lazy. It can be transferred in both Asuswrt (SSH) and Asuswrt-Merlin (SSH or SCP) without any extra scripts.

I hear you, but I like @JackYaz work :)
I've become lazy. It can be transferred in both Asuswrt (SSH) and Asuswrt-Merlin (SSH or SCP) without any extra scripts.

Many thanks for the nice thread.

This is the same hardware router as GT-AX11000 - older gen router with BCM4908 CPU and BCM43684 radios. Asus is moving away from this hardware. GT-AX11000 Pro in your list is the newer BCM4912 CPU and BCM6715 radios router with more usable today 2x 5GHz bands and Pro firmware coming.

GT-AX11000 Pro aside--it really isn't my style--which routers have the BCM4912 / BCM6715? I'm not willing to wait for Wi-Fi 7, but I would like newer hardware that would allow Merlin compatibility for the longest possible time.

RT-AX86U Pro
GT-AX6000
RT-AX88U Pro
GT-AX11000 Pro
GT-AXE16000
ZenWiFi Pro XT12
ZenWiFi Pro ET12 -> no Asuswrt-Merlin yet

Last edited:
@RMerlin, if I may ask a potentially uncomfortable question -

No doubt the Merlin firmware is a major undertaking--a massive project for one person, especially if you've got other obligations. Have you thought about how long you plan to continue this work? What would happen if you couldn't continue?

Thanks so much.

Have you thought about how long you plan to continue this work?
The thought crossed my mind sometimes, but I honestly have no answer. Could be a year, could be another ten years. It will depend on what happens along the way.

What would happen if you couldn't continue?
All my code is on Github. Anyone could fork it, and continue work on it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!