What's new

I'm new - router recommendations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really like the specs of the RT-AX88U_PRO. They are well-balanced (having a pair of 2.5 Gbps ports to allow both WAN and LAN multigig support).

It appears your support for the AX88U Pro is preliminary, at least as of March 20 (388.2 Beta 1). Assuming I ordered one tomorrow, would the beta firmware be stable and safe enough for me to install? Is it an indication that you plan to support the AX88U Pro going forward?

Assuming I ordered one tomorrow, would the beta firmware be stable and safe enough for me to install? Is it an indication that you plan to support the AX88U Pro going forward?
RT-AX88U_Pro will be officially supported starting with 388.2.

One more question about the Merlin firmware. (Yes, it's likely one that's answered elsewhere, so thanks for your indulgence.)

According to the Merlin wiki, "Priorities: Stability > performance > features." What about security? As you all may be aware, security among consumer-grade routers is almost universally awful. It's a big reason I'm interested in Merlin: I want the router to be more secure than average. Yet what security-specific advantages does Asuswrt-merlin offer?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Recommendation if you dont need a router right away? Wait for the AXE86U or whatever the wifi7 one is called.

I have no clue about the AX88U pro, but the AX88u (no pro) was a bad device. So I would definetely read up on if that has been fixed in the pro version. I love my AX88U (non pro), can recommend that any day, especially due to its small formfactor due to being a standing model, instead of lying flat

AX88U was a bad device?? Excuse me?

i've been using it for 4 years without issue!

Is that $260 USD regular pricing, or special discount? And is the RT-AX88U_Pro MSRP, or scalper pricing from a reseller?

Currently $399 CAD which is the same price I paid for the AX88U on launch in 2018.

100%

I live in Downtown Toronto.

According to the Merlin wiki, "Priorities: Stability > performance > features." What about security? As you all may be aware, security among consumer-grade routers is almost universally awful. It's a big reason I'm interested in Merlin: I want the router to be more secure than average. Yet what security-specific advantages does Asuswrt-merlin offer?

I do have to say that Asus in general is pretty good about patching these major security flaws you see in the news every so often. These patches tend to be rolled into Merlin's firmware each new release. Typically, you don't have much to worry about if you're not opening ports and such for hackers to take advantage of. But yeah, there are some additional addons that are excellent from a security perspective -- namely, the "Skynet firewall"... it's a firewall script that utilizes a filter list to block incoming/outgoing connections if it matches an IP on a blacklist. An excellent way to make sure compromised sites aren't hitting your router, or compromised cllents on your local end from getting there. You can also block by country, and see various stats about its effectiveness. There's a couple of options for ad/site blocking, such as AdGuardHome and Diversion, and some great tools for managing your VPN connections. There's also some play with Suricata 6 happening right now, and many various ways to increase security for your DNS connections using DoT, etc.

The Add-On section for Merlin Firmware is growing continuously... so take a peek at all the other tools and gadgets available:

What's the general longevity of Asus' routers? I don't upgrade often, preferring to use hardware for as many years as possible.

What's the general longevity of Asus' routers?

There is no answer to this question. No one can predict the future. RT-AC68U was extremely reliable and still supported 10 years later. RT-AC86U was perhaps the most unreliable and some folks have lost their routers before 2 years mark. It stuck on 386 firmware and won't get new features 5 years later. Every manufacturer has successful models and lemons and Asus is no exception. RT-AC68U V4 was introduced like 2 years back and now EoL model. Asus Blue Cave based on Intel Lantiq? Asus Lyra one of the first "mesh" attempts? Where are they now? Pick your poison and hope for the best.

What's the general longevity of Asus' routers? I don't upgrade often, preferring to use hardware for as many years as possible.
It varies. We've seen RT-N66Us go for 10 years without any issue, and we've seen RT-AC86U die within a year.

You've got lucky.

AC88U - if first release Asus lied to you it supports MU-MIMO, it doesn't
AC86U - it may fail with no warning signs, the converter blows on reboot
AX6000 - your wife accepted the way it looks

:D

Just get whatever you need and don't think about it too much. Everything new is made disposable.

Doesn't matter how long it lasts (to a reasonable degree); if new technology advances don't change what hardware is required in the future, the fact that we don't last forever either is the other finality and needlessness of wanting non-disposable 'things' we can't take with us anyway.

Hello -

It's time for a new router, and I want to get the best Merlin-compatible model I reasonably can. My space and needs are modest. Long-term reliability and viability are important; gaming and extended signal coverage are not. Still, I'll consider a gaming-oriented model if it's the best fit. How about the

- RT-AX86U Pro
- RT-AX88U Pro
- GT-AX6000

Are there better options?

Thanks!

i’d pick the AX88u Pro without blinking. The GT-AX6000 would be the second runner up in my opinion as while there are mounting holes, the antennas are not ideal for wall mounting. The 88U model is better for wall mounting IMHO as the antennas and ports are all on top and that just works better in my utility closet to handle all the CAT cable runs. If your desk or ceiling mounting, I’d go with the GT-AX6000 as the 2.4GHZ radio seems to be better in benchmarks. The AX86U did not get much upgraded with the Pro label and I don’t think it has mounting holes so I’d skip it.

The 88U model is a really solid workhorse. I’ve had the AC and AX models running in multiple family member homes for years (2.5-6) with no issues. Just make sure the unit has access to good airflow (don’t cover it) and you should never have a problem. I’ve only had one unit fail (ac88u) and that was due to the unit getting covered in plaster dust during renovations (I suspect the 5ghz radio overheated).

The specs for the new Pro variant are amazing and the benchmarks prove it:

https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-review/

I‘ve been personally been fighting the itch not to upgrade my ax88u to the Pro unit Once I saw Merlin added support for it. The benchmarks and multi-gig ports look mighty enticing. I only wish you were able to covert the 2.5 multi gig wan port to a lan port so I could dual home my ASUS NAS with 2.5 Gig running in load balancing. Also, it would be nice for a few more lan ports but that’s nothing a switch won’t solve for my TV’s.

IMG_0230.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!