What's new

IMPORTANT: new RT-N66U revision

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

There is a newer revision of the RT-N66U that uses a different flash type. This model is *NOT* compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin, nor with any older version of Asuswrt. This is the reason why Asus has pulled all the older firmware versions from their website.

I have the required code that implements support for this new revision. I'm not sure how or when I will find some time to integrate it (work is seriously kicking my butt this week!), but I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime:

If you purchased a NEW RT-N66U, do NOT flash Asuswrt-Merlin until I release 3.0.0.4.372.30_3 (UPDATE: now available).

If you accidentally did flash a non-compatible version, you should in theory be able to boot into recovery mode, and reflash it. The FW versions currently on the Asus website are compatible.

Last edited:
What would be the reason for new revision?

Something better?

They simply changed flash provider. It happens all the time, either due to availability or cost. It's just that in this case, it requires a code level change to support the new flash.

They simply changed flash provider. It happens all the time, either due to availability or cost. It's just that in this case, it requires a code level change to support the new flash.

Can you code it to check for what is present and make a choice or not proceed?

Thanks!

For those who may have recently purchased a RT-N66U, do the routers with the new flash have a different HW Version on the bottom of the router?

Can you code it to check for what is present and make a choice or not proceed?

Thanks!

There's no need for this. The kernel just need to be aware of both chip models, and will use the correct code. It's just that this new chip wasn't supported at all yet.

For those who may have recently purchased a RT-N66U, do the routers with the new flash have a different HW Version on the bottom of the router?

I suspect they are labeled as HW Rev B2, but I'm awaiting confirmation from Asus to that effect.

All the existing RT-N66U builds were moved to the RT-N66U_B1_Only folder.

The new build that supports both revisions can be found under RT-N66U_All_Models. The version is 3.0.0.4.370_30_3.

There is no need to update your router if you were already running 370.30_2. There was no other change.

Unsticking this - the incompatible builds have been moved to an Archived folder, and the folders are clearly identified to avoid any confusion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!