What's new

Impressed by the TP-Link Archer A7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I look at NAT acceleration as a form of cheating, something that allows manufacturers to market a device as Gigabit capable, when in fact it isn't. In all my setups, if there is a way to disable NAT acceleration and the CPU is capable to handle the traffic, I prefer to keep it Disabled.
a lot of routers allow you to enable/disable it. Its good to have a router capable of it. Fun fact that ubiquiti routers are incapable of CPU based speeds and require hardware acceleration for their advertised speeds. This is why i like mikrotik over ubiquiti for routing, its not just that mikrotik is a better router in the OS/software but also that mikrotik does not rely on hardware acceleration and have separate benches with and without for different setups, understanding that their customers will be using features that wont work with hardware acceleration, aside from being less dodgy. Mikrotik doesnt advertise hardware acceleration as a necessity but an optional feature that you can play with on top of your config, like for some it is recommended to filter the packets/connection first before accelerating it. You also have different forms of hardware acceleration with mikrotik. Ubiquiti fails to deliver the targeted features to their audience, so they have to target home users not business/enterprise that wont be able to use hardware acceleration with their setup.

Good points about acceleration and I quite agree on the all-software stance, but while I don't want to derail this thread too badly, I have to call BS on the Ubiquiti dig. First off, we both know that's a double-standard. Or I guess all the MSPs, VARs and businesses across the globe using countless amount of Ubiquiti gateways to great satisfaction must have all have been duped? LOL. They haven't "failed" in that sense any more than Mikrotik may "fail" because of any reason I or anyone else may want to cherry-pick them for... To judge them by extrapolating a generalization like that is simply baseless.

I get the marketing complaint, trust me I do, but in the age of information, anyone doing proper due-diligence will discover the limitations of what they're researching, and at that point can judge for themselves whether it will or won't work for them. Just because it may not, or because they feel as though the marketing isn't fair, doesn't mean the vendor has "failed" at anything. Pure nonsense.

Otherwise, though, great insight into additional capabilities of hardware vs software acceleration.

Well, true Gigabit processing needs like i3 performance CPU, so hardware NAT in a pack of cigarettes size box like ER-X for $50 is OK. In case of Archer C7/A7 type consumer routers $60 gets you a Router + 4-Port Gigabit Switch + 3x3 AC Access Point + Power Supply + Ethernet Cable. It's a pretty good deal for $60, I believe. This is what those devices are capable of, can't expect full blown packet inspection or QoS running there.

Bingo. It's actually pretty crazy the amount of stuff that these devices will handle, and do so quite reliably, for well under $100. I've got dozens of customers offices running on ER-X's for 3+ years and nary an issue. Ever. Think about that for a second... a $50 box doing arguably the equivalent of what you needed a Cisco ISR for not just 10 or so years ago. Insane. So whether it's TP-Link, Ubiquiti or Mikrotik, it's all good, as long I've made myself aware of what I'm buying by doing proper due diligence. The only failure if I haven't, is mine.

Don't forget, TP-Link makes some amazing Wifi extenders, while Netgear's higher end wifi extender has no external antennas while the price being super high for a plug in type wifi extender.

Models like Netgear EX7300 and EX7500 wifi extender have no external antenna.

Only good thing Netgear makes is their router but it lacks the features which Asus has.

Also netgear has the a new bug where the UPNP is broken on their latest firmware.

Such as Open vpn.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Don't forget, TP-Link makes some amazing Wifi extenders, while Netgear's higher end wifi extender has no external antennas while the price being super high for a plug in type wifi extender. Models like Netgear EX7300 and EX7500 wifi extender have no external antenna.
While certain product classes may benefit from external versus internal antennae, plug-in extenders perhaps being one of them, having external antennae alone does not make the hardware "better". Just taking a look at most enterprise indoor APs is enough confirmation.

having external antennae alone does not make the hardware "better"

Correct. It needs RGB light too:

gt-ax11000-1.jpg

While certain product classes may benefit from external versus internal antennae, plug-in extenders perhaps being one of them, having external antennae alone does not make the hardware "better". Just taking a look at most enterprise indoor APs is enough confirmation.
Because Enterprise-class products have better components by default and the Enterprise AP are mostly placed high above to overcome most obstacles, while consumer class products have mid-lo grade components, that said having an external antenna helps penetrate walls and other building materials better.

Especially when you're in an apartment with Thick concrete wall where the signal is easily deteriorated even 5 - 10m away.

If you see, the official page of TP-Link,, they claim that RE650 Wifi-extender has a total of 14,000 sq feet of coverage, while the equivalent Netgear EX7500 has only a mere 2,500 sq feet of coverage.

For MU-MIMO you need to have 4x4, correct if I'm wrong for a better signal pattern in beamforming.

Those SqFt coverage specs are obviously based on different square feet. :)

One is based on a remote, treeless hillside, while the other is closer to real-world use (with walls and other obstacles)?

Great album!

I don't know about the album, but I clearly remember the best ever Asuswrt-Merlin release for RT-AC66U router was 380.66_6 and now I realize it wasn't just a coincidence. I may eventually buy another ASUS router when @RMerlin gets to 386.66_6 release. :)

Those SqFt coverage specs are obviously based on different square feet. :)

One is based on a remote, treeless hillside, while the other is closer to real-world use (with walls and other obstacles)?
I wish I could compare both of these plug in types side by side or atleast one at time to see which extender gave better throughput for my 500 mbps connection in two of my rooms.

Dlink is giving me around 250- 260 mbps speed, on both the room sometimes it reaches 280 mbps too on speed test.

In the hall when connected directly to the router I get around 530 mbps. (R7800 X4S)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
584dc13c8a58f04bc38a029fb265bb36.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!