1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

increase signal rate on dsl ac68u

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by cancakmak, Apr 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cancakmak

cancakmak New Around Here

can i use a high gain antenna over stock ones to improve wifi signal ?

maybe 7dbi or 9dbi ?

how much gain will i get ?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

This is a topic that comes up time and again (search the forums). For example here.

The short answer is it probably won't make a noticeable difference. In theory higher gain antennas will just flatten the "doughnut-shaped" radiation pattern. So you may gain something in one direction but you lose something in another. But as with everything to do with Wi-Fi, the theory and the practice rarely align, particularly when you factor in that most "replacement antennas" sold on the internet are cheap Chinese crap with made up dB numbers.

You could try it, some people see improvements, most do not. Prepare to be disappointed.

scjr likes this.
  4. scjr

scjr Senior Member

Colin,

Really appreciate your posts. They’re always very informative.

Thanks.

5. cancakmak

cancakmak New Around Here

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Impossible to say. Try "aiming" your current antennas at the devices upstairs. Remember that the strongest signal is perpendicular to the antenna. So if you want to aim it straight up (and down) the antenna needs to be lying flat (horizontal).

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!