What's new

Input LAG in game with the RT-AX86S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LUFTHANSARD

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I'm asking for your help in understanding the problem I'm having with my RT-ax86s.

I use this router mainly to play online games on my PS5. Since getting this router, I've been experiencing latency. For example, in fps type shooting games, I have a lack of fluidity making the character slow. The connection is stable though, with connection speeds that are more than appreciable.
Yesterday, in my desperation, I put the finishing touches to this forum in the hope of finding a solution to my problem. My asus router is connected behind the modem of my ISP in router mode, the DMZ has been activated with the IP of the asus router. I then deactivated the DHCP of my ISP and the magic began to work, during my game session, for the first time in 1 year I had a hyper fluid game without delay. Unfortunately this did not last, I have the impression that there is a network conflict between my ISP and the asus router. As a novice with the knowledge of a 3 year old in this field, I would like to know what is wrong with my configuration.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-09-11 à 15.36.32.png
    Capture d’écran 2023-09-11 à 15.36.32.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 43
Your question has no answer. The speedtest shown is excellent. Multiple factors may affect online gaming.

I had the same with AC68U and did not found good solutions - you can try:
1. Put if possible ISP router in bridge mode (DMZ should but not always do what it should)
2. Put Asus router as AP mode and connect PS5 for testing. This solution was acceptable for my friend (would not be by me) and PS5 is working very good for him.

Hello everyone,

I'm asking for your help in understanding the problem I'm having with my RT-ax86s.

I use this router mainly to play online games on my PS5. Since getting this router, I've been experiencing latency. For example, in fps type shooting games, I have a lack of fluidity making the character slow. The connection is stable though, with connection speeds that are more than appreciable.
Yesterday, in my desperation, I put the finishing touches to this forum in the hope of finding a solution to my problem. My asus router is connected behind the modem of my ISP in router mode, the DMZ has been activated with the IP of the asus router. I then deactivated the DHCP of my ISP and the magic began to work, during my game session, for the first time in 1 year I had a hyper fluid game without delay. Unfortunately this did not last, I have the impression that there is a network conflict between my ISP and the asus router. As a novice with the knowledge of a 3 year old in this field, I would like to know what is wrong with my configuration.

Thanks in advance

If making a change to your ISP router improved things briefly, then it is likely the issue is with their router or instability in the connection. Are you able to put their router in bridge mode to make it a modem only?

Is your PS5 hardwired to the Asus or wireless?

I had the same with AC68U and did not found good solutions - you can try:
1. Put if possible ISP router in bridge mode (DMZ should but not always do what it should)
2. Put Asus router as AP mode and connect PS5 for testing. This solution was acceptable for my friend (would not be by me) and PS5 is working very good for him.
Thanks for the solution but it didn’t work for me

If making a change to your ISP router improved things briefly, then it is likely the issue is with their router or instability in the connection. Are you able to put their router in bridge mode to make it a modem only?

I can't put my ISP's modem in bridge mode. The only possibilities are router mode and AP mode, which unfortunately don't solve my problem. I think the problem lies with my ISP, as I live in a new building with only one Internet service provider, and I'm wondering whether the simultaneous connections of the other residents might be disrupting the stability of my connection. It’s the same with a wired and a wireless connection

I can't put my ISP's modem in bridge mode. The only possibilities are router mode and AP mode, which unfortunately don't solve my problem. I think the problem lies with my ISP, as I live in a new building with only one Internet service provider, and I'm wondering whether the simultaneous connections of the other residents might be disrupting the stability of my connection. It’s the same with a wired and a wireless connection

AP mode with wireless disabled may let it run as a modem only? That's odd, I've never seen an ISP router that allows AP mode.

Based on your speeds, this looks like a fiber connection? Can you remove their router completely and just use the Asus? Some ISPs allow this, others don't but you can find ways to do it online, and then others it just isn't possible.

AP mode with wireless disabled may let it run as a modem only? That's odd, I've never seen an ISP router that allows AP mode.

Based on your speeds, this looks like a fiber connection? Can you remove their router completely and just use the Asus? Some ISPs allow this, others don't but you can find ways to do it online, and then others it just isn't possible.
Yes, strangely enough, the AP mode works. Yes, I have a fiber connection. Do you know how to use only the ASUS router? Because configured behind the modem of the ISP, I am in double nat and if I disable the DHCP of the modem, the router ASUS does not obtain any more address Wan and thus no more Internet access. I've scoured various forums hoping to find a specific configuration for my ISP's modem, but to no avail. I thought of getting a 2nd ASUS router, 1 of which would be behind the modem and the second behind the ASUS router.

Yes, strangely enough, the AP mode works. Yes, I have a fiber connection. Do you know how to use only the ASUS router? Because configured behind the modem of the ISP, I am in double nat and if I disable the DHCP of the modem, the router ASUS does not obtain any more address Wan and thus no more Internet access. I've scoured various forums hoping to find a specific configuration for my ISP's modem, but to no avail. I thought of getting a 2nd ASUS router, 1 of which would be behind the modem and the second behind the ASUS router.

If it is a fiber connection, the ISP router is just a router, no modem. The "modem" would be the ONT device where fiber goes in and ethernet comes out.

If it works fine in AP mode, I suspect you can just plug the Asus directly into the fiber ONT ethernet and be good to go. Doesn't sound like it uses PPPoE. Maybe you'd have to clone the MAC of their router into the Asus but try it just plain stock first.

You can try logging into the ISP device and seeing if you can see any WAN settings like PPPoE etc, but again if "AP mode" disables all routing, I highly doubt it would be using that. Or maybe AP mode is just a misleading name for some other mode it uses.

Caveat being that if you have their TV or phone service, you may need their device for all functions of those to work properly.

If it is a fiber connection, the ISP router is just a router, no modem. The "modem" would be the ONT device where fiber goes in and ethernet comes out.

If it works fine in AP mode, I suspect you can just plug the Asus directly into the fiber ONT ethernet and be good to go. Doesn't sound like it uses PPPoE. Maybe you'd have to clone the MAC of their router into the Asus but try it just plain stock first.

You can try logging into the ISP device and seeing if you can see any WAN settings like PPPoE etc, but again if "AP mode" disables all routing, I highly doubt it would be using that. Or maybe AP mode is just a misleading name for some other mode it uses.

Caveat being that if you have their TV or phone service, you may need their device for all functions of those to work properly.
I live in France, and my modem or ISP router is not connected via an ONT box, but a wall-mounted PTO box connected by an optical cable. I'll try to clone the ISP's mac address on the ASUS router. Thanks for any information

We'd probably have to know who the ISP is and possibly any markings on the ISP router that could identify it. There are FTTP connections across Europe that sound similar to those our OP mentions - including UK ISPs that have fitted devices that combine the ONT or PON with a router. If it's PON based, and you are able to get the username/password, you can get a router with an SFP port and connect that router directly. It's a lot of "ifs" but there are almost always options!

We'd probably have to know who the ISP is and possibly any markings on the ISP router that could identify it. There are FTTP connections across Europe that sound similar to those our OP mentions - including UK ISPs that have fitted devices that combine the ONT or PON with a router. If it's PON based, and you are able to get the username/password, you can get a router with an SFP port and connect that router directly. It's a lot of "ifs" but there are almost always options!
I have contacted my ISP, which is ORANGE, and the ONT is integrated into the modem/router. I need to downgrade my offer to get an ONT. When you talk about id, are they the same id that allow PPPOE configuration? If so, I have these id, but I can't configure any connection with them, because this type of configuration is reserved for pro users

It's more complicated with an ONT since it securely filters out your connection potentially from those of a couple of immediate neighbours. Because of this, they tend to be "locked-down".
Yup, id/username - same thing, and without the ONT-router having a proper bridge or device pass-thru mode then they'd be superfluous anyhow.

The Orange branding for the devices in France is "Livebox" and it could be Inventel, Sagem, or ZTE.

I have contacted my ISP, which is ORANGE, and the ONT is integrated into the modem/router. I need to downgrade my offer to get an ONT. When you talk about id, are they the same id that allow PPPOE configuration? If so, I have these id, but I can't configure any connection with them, because this type of configuration is reserved for pro users

If the ONT is integrated into the router (there is no modem, the ONT is essentially the modem) then your choice is to try and convert their fiber to copper to plug into the Asus and put the correct PPPoE stuff in your Asus (you'd have to research if anyone has done that with your ISP) or to use their router. It is unclear to me what exactly "AP mode" is doing, doesn't seem like it is a bridge.

You can try leaving their router at defaults, disable it's wifi, and use the Asus in AP mode and see how that performs. Have you seen if the issues exist when connected directly to their device?

I think the next thing to do is to dig out the contract and see what your guaranteed speeds are. We've the situation in the UK some small blocks of apartments only get a single 2.5Gbps fibre to every 8 dwellings. Tenants are then sold 1Gbps(ish) broadband but with a guaranteed speed of around just 350Mbps (I'm aware that math doesn't add up).
I'd keep the ISP in router mode, put the Asus router into AP mode, and connect the Wan port on the Asus to a LAN port on the ISP router. That's probably about as good as you are going to get things, I'd not "double NAT" if there isn't a good reason to.

Tenants are then sold 1Gbps(ish) broadband but with a guaranteed speed of around just 350Mbps (I'm aware that math doesn't add up).

Gah - That's typical in most residential accounts - up to 1gb in the example noted...

Overprovisioning is still pretty common these days...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!