What's new

Install Merlin on Chinese asus AX56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chiccoach

New Around Here
Hi All,

I bought a Chinese ASUS router AX56U and when I try to install Merlin firmware it always fails.
do you know how to solve the problem?
I need to restore the firmware?

thanks all in advance

I don't believe the Chinese version of the AX56U (RT-AX56U v2) is compatible with Merlin.

I don't believe the Chinese version of the AX56U (RT-AX56U v2) is compatible with Merlin.

Thanks
Basically there is nothing I can do.
All the Chinese ASUS router are like this? All not compatible with Merlin? Or just XA56U which is newer?

All the Chinese ASUS router are like this? All not compatible with Merlin? Or just XA56U which is newer?
There are two different models called RT-AX56U each with different hardware. The V1 (FCC ID MSQ-RTAXHY00) and the V2 (FCC ID MSQ-RTAX8A00). See the image in the other post.

There are two different models called RT-AX56U each with different hardware. The V1 (FCC ID MSQ-RTAXHY00) and the V2 (FCC ID MSQ-RTAX8A00). See the image in the other post.
Saw it. Do you know how to find the Merlin compatible one? Coz in chinese app it is not mentioned V2 so difficult to know in advance

Hi All,

I bought a Chinese ASUS router AX56U and when I try to install Merlin firmware it always fails.

thanks all in advance
Did you buy your router from here?

maybe this link helps?

I have the same issue with this model RT-AX56U V2, I tried to install a Koolshare firmware and my router doesn't work anymore.

I don't believe the Chinese version of the AX56U () is compatible with Merlin.

I got a RT-AX88U with merlin installed. Do you think the RT-AX56U v2 is compatible with AiMesh? It shouldn't be a problem if I just want it to be an AiMesh node, right?

Main router is RT-AX88U (merlin) to AiMesh connection RT-AX56U v2 (original firmware)

I got a RT-AX88U with merlin installed. Do you think the RT-AX56U v2 is compatible with AiMesh? It shouldn't be a problem if I just want it to be an AiMesh node, right?

Main router is RT-AX88U (merlin) to AiMesh connection RT-AX56U v2 (original firmware)
It should work provided that both routers were purchased in the same country.

Wonder if it has a signed bootloader - regulatory and all with the PRC...

Worst case, you should be able to do a tftp recovery flash if you're stuck trying to get stock firmware reloaded.

Wonder if it has a signed bootloader - regulatory and all with the PRC...

Worst case, you should be able to do a tftp recovery flash if you're stuck trying to get stock firmware reloaded.
You're replying to a post from last year. Merlin's firmware wouldn't flash onto his router because the hardware is different and Merlin doesn't make a version for it.

I'm here to report my findings.

The RT-AX56U v2 actually connected via AiMesh to my RT-AX88U router successfully. Half a day later the RT-AX56U v2 disconnected and needed to be power cycled. Then it didn't want to connect to AiMesh.

I reset the router and set everything up again and the same thing happened.
The RT-AX56U v2 connected and worked for a couple hours and then it decided to disconnect and only the power led was lit. I even used ethernet cable to backhaul.

It seemed that V2 couldn't handle the AiMesh for too long without crapping out.

I don't recommend the RT-AX56U v2. It is a source of fustration.

The RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U have all been sources of frustration. Regardless of v numbers.