What's new

Installation advice on AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kannanni

Occasional Visitor
Hello there,

I’m planning to install Skynet,Diversion and Yazfi possibly unbound too on my AX86U running latest merlin.

I have a 16gb Kingston USB key. Do I need to create a swap for these, if yes what size do you recommend me?

ps: I already have pi-hole and unbound running fine from an old Debian server and would like to test which solution is the best- trying to save on electricity if possible?

I have a 16gb Kingston USB key. Do I need to create a swap for these, if yes what size do you recommend me?
Yes, Skynet requires a swap file. Do it with amtm.

Another option is to use a swap partition. Format the thumb drive on a Linux device, I use Gparted, and create a 2048 MB Linux swap partition at the beginning of the FS then the rest EXT4.
Mount the swap partition with a post-mount file in /jffs/scripts with the following content:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
swapon /dev/sda1
Make sure the post-mount file can be executed (chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/post-mount).
I prefer a swap partition over a swap file as I have had issues with corruption with swap files. I also use a USB2 drive with the router set to USB2 operation.

A swap partition is not recommended for use with amtm and related scripts.

I suggest you use the 2GB, 5GB, or, 10GB (my suggestion) swap size (note it will take a very long time to be created on a USB stick).

Be sure to format the USB drive in amtm. With Ext4 w/journaling format. And after the swap file is created, enable the DC (disk checking) script too.

The following link may be a useful guide for you. Just remember to ignore the steps to 'install' amtm. In current firmware, amtm is pre-installed already.

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Thanks for all your replies.

so do you recommend installing all these programs on my 16gb stick swap sized to 2 gb? Or shall I get more usb sticks?

Thanks for all your replies.

so do you recommend installing all these programs on my 16gb stick swap sized to 2 gb? Or shall I get more usb sticks?
16 GB thumb drive is plenty. And, AMTM does not "require" a swap file. It will format the drive and create a swap file but works just as well with and will detect a swap partition.

Required? No, but it is recommended to use a swap file vs. a swap partition.

amtm doesn't need either of the above. The scripts you decide to install will though.

It has been shown in the forums that some scripts need a bigger than 2GB file today.

Use 5GB or 10GB. May as well use 10GB and not worry about it for a while.

If you don't understand how Linux memory management works stick with a 2GB swap file, especially if you're putting it on a slow 16GB USB flash drive. Only make it bigger as a last resort.

That doesn't work for some scripts.

They simply need to have a bigger than 2GB swap file to work properly.

They simply need to have a bigger than 2GB swap file to work properly.
The only addon that needs a larger than 2GB swap is Unbound, and then only if a certain configuration is used.
In 99% of the cases 2GB - or smaller - is sufficient.

Unbound, and then only if a certain configuration is used

Configurations like this shouldn't be running on a home AIO router hardware anyway. Your own Diversion with 2mil entries blocklist as well, as an example. When you give a real knife to kids to play with some may chop their fingers off.

Configurations like this shouldn't be running on a home AIO router hardware anyway. Your own Diversion with 2mil entries blocklist as well, as an example. When you give a real knife to kids to play with some may chop their fingers off.
You‘d be surprised what users throw at Diversion - and still have a perfectly fine running router. I am such a user.

You‘d be surprised what users throw at Diversion - and still have a perfectly fine running router. I am such a user.
In my own ad-blocking solution I'm only blocking 122,000 domains and dnsmasq consumes less than 14MB of memory (leaving >55% of my router's memory free). So memory consumption isn't really an issue there. Running another application on the router that requires 5 or 10 times more memory than the router has in total is a whole different scenario.

Thank you for confirming it is only Unbound @thelonelycoder, that needs the larger swap file. I thought it was more than one script (at least Skynet also?).