What's new

Instant guard VPN leaking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N

nikr

Just out of curiosity, I was giving Instant guard a try. So after establishing the tunnel I can see that my public IP changes to that of my home. So far so good. then when I did speed test, I got almost 50Mbps down, I was really impressed, until I realized that my home internet upload speed is 12 Mbps. That means speed test is not going through the VPN. Things are as expected when using openvpn. That is my download speed on a device is capped to 12 Mbps (my home internet upload speed).

I don't see any option to configure this behavior anywhere. Have I misconfigured anything?

Could it be that Instant Guard is not meant to be a free VPN facility but just meant to use the Asus Router App safely when remote and that other traffic is being routed outside of the IPSEC-tunnel that Instant Guard creates?

Just out of curiosity, I was giving Instant guard a try. So after establishing the tunnel I can see that my public IP changes to that of my home. So far so good. then when I did speed test, I got almost 50Mbps down, I was really impressed, until I realized that my home internet upload speed is 12 Mbps. That means speed test is not going through the VPN. Things are as expected when using openvpn. That is my download speed on a device is capped to 12 Mbps (my home internet upload speed).

I don't see any option to configure this behavior anywhere. Have I misconfigured anything?
nikr,

I have just tried using Instant Guard from my iPhoneXsMax, I validated with dnsleaktest.com on safari that there is no leak for my case.

You might want to consider the following if it is applicable to you, hope it might help :)
  • Are you using IPv6, I am not sure Asus / Merlin VPN Server support IPv6
  • I have IPv6 setup for my Router and my Workaround is to use Merlin's DoT under WAN setting where I pointed my Dot DNS Server to Cloudflare (both IPv4 and IPv6)

nikr,

I have just tried using Instant Guard from my iPhoneXsMax, I validated with dnsleaktest.com on safari that there is no leak for my case.

You might want to consider the following if it is applicable to you, hope it might help :)
  • Are you using IPv6, I am not sure Asus / Merlin VPN Server support IPv6
  • I have IPv6 setup for my Router and my Workaround is to use Merlin's DoT under WAN setting where I pointed my Dot DNS Server to Cloudflare (both IPv4 and IPv6)
The OP does not mean leak in the DNS sense. He feels some of the traffic is by-passing the Instant Guard tunnel.

thanks @bbunge, that is exactly what i meant. When i am connected with instant guard and run speed, traffic should route through my home internet, and should be capped to my home internet upload speed, but it’s not.