What's new

Intel AC 7260 model difference.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wolff

New Around Here
Hi.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Intel AC 7260 PCI-e for, my laptop, when i noticed there is two models; HMWWB and HMWWB.R
Can't seem the find any difference other then one costs a little bit more then the other.. At least here in Denmark it does ;)

Hope you can help.

Hi.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Intel AC 7260 PCI-e for, my laptop, when i noticed there is two models; HMWWB and HMWWB.R
Can't seem the find any difference other then one costs a little bit more then the other.. At least here in Denmark it does ;)

Hope you can help.

Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC

This is another variant. i once saw a page at Intel that identified the differences. I couldn't find it again recently. The above one is the one I'm going to try from Amazon since it's the most popular one. I have HP laptops and am wondering about their whitelisting. I've heard that it's less strict now. If not, I also have a Toshiba it will work in, but you have to almost take the entire laptop apart to install it.

If I recall correctly - the only difference is the sticker/decal on the card - some countries require regulatory approval stamps on the card...

If I recall correctly - the only difference is the sticker/decal on the card - some countries require regulatory approval stamps on the card...

Hmm.. just seems pretty odd that one costs more then the other.. Its just a few bucks, but it makes me think that a sticker is'nt all there is to it.

Maybe the .R is a new Revision?

Thought about writing intel support, but they wanted me to register with address, phonenumber and what not.. There must be some Intel wizards inhere :p

..but you have to almost take the entire laptop apart to install it.

Yea! Did that last night with my Asus. The entire bottom plate + dvd drive and hdd needed to be removed. ..and a gazzilion screws! :eek:

Now I just hope that it has'nt been for nothing, and the 7260 is whitelisted.

Hmm.. just seems pretty odd that one costs more then the other.. Its just a few bucks, but it makes me think that a sticker is'nt all there is to it.

Maybe the .R is a new Revision?

Thought about writing intel support, but they wanted me to register with address, phonenumber and what not.. There must be some Intel wizards inhere :p

I think it also has to do with the volume shipped - one is normally for OEM's and shipped in 100 unit trays, the other is whitebox in a 10 pack.

It appears .r is the Revised edition

"New Revision (for September 1, 2014)"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MY9S692/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00MZ527V8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13VKE8ZNT3KQS7ZQ2VRS

I can't easily find what the revision does though, except one person saying "increased compatibility". If I were you, I'd probably just get the cheaper one.

Also, you misunderstood the earlier poster. They said they *hope* the 7260 is on the whitelist for Asus. However, I have an Asus laptop with a 7260, and when researching before, it appeared Asus laptops don't have a whitelist - you can put anything in and it will accept it.

Hmm.. just seems pretty odd that one costs more then the other.. :p

Hi,.
Two different cards. One is including -AC mode, the other is just -N mode one
I have used quite a few of both.

It appears .r is the Revised edition

"New Revision (for September 1, 2014)"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MY9S692/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00MZ527V8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13VKE8ZNT3KQS7ZQ2VRS

I can't easily find what the revision does though, except one person saying "increased compatibility". If I were you, I'd probably just get the cheaper one.

Also, you misunderstood the earlier poster. They said they *hope* the 7260 is on the whitelist for Asus. However, I have an Asus laptop with a 7260, and when researching before, it appeared Asus laptops don't have a whitelist - you can put anything in and it will accept it.

Hi,
As far as I know Asus, MSI don't have white list. HP, Lenovo do. You can go around white list by patching BIOS but bit risky.(if mistake is made patching,
laptop dies, LOL!)

Hi,
As far as I know Asus, MSI don't have white list. HP, Lenovo do. You can go around white list by patching BIOS but bit risky.(if mistake is made patching,
laptop dies, LOL!)

the card itself - It's not going to kill the laptop (unless perhaps, it has electrical problems), but it will either work or it won't be recognized.

Then one travels down the path of BIOS patching perhaps (or masking a pin on the card itself), then if things blow up...

sfx

thanks for the info. I'm getting me a few of those.

Think you misread me.. I'm hoping that it's whitelisted or theres no BIOS restriction on the Asus. Don't actually know until I get my hands on one of the cards ;)

But as bbb0777 says: "I have an Asus laptop with a 7260, and when researching before, it appeared Asus laptops don't have a whitelist - you can put anything in and it will accept it."
Thats awesome info! :)

Last edited:
Hi,
Sounds like you have a laptop by ASUS? I have 7260 -AC card in ASUS ROG and MSI
Leopard, no problem installing it. Just one cover off, less than 30 mins. work.

Hey
Sorry for the late reply.
Ended up buying the regular model, since it was the only one in stock at the time (Was realy impatient :p )
Can confirm it working in my Asus k56CM. So there you go :)
On another note, I had some major problems getting N Speed on my Netgear WNDR3700 Ver1. It seemed like it was "Capped" at 5Mb/s, and no matter what I Could'nt get it to perform better.. Looked around the net and could see that I was'nt the only one having problems with N. Had to live with it a couple of days..

After my new Netgear R7000 arrived speeds got way better! Sitting next to the router, while setting it up, speeds reached up and about 50Mb/s from my NAS. Pretty nice! At about 10meters and through 2 dry walls I'm getting 25Mb/s. Still pretty nice!
Getting great signal 20Meters away, through 4 drywall and 1 concrete, way out in my garage. Awesome finally beeing abe to use my Sonos outthere! :p Something that was'nt possible with the old 3700.

Everything seems great! ...Exept.. when I turn on my laptop it wont connect to my network. Neither automatic or manual. But after a restart it connects perfectly, every d*mn time! Anyone have any ideas about it?
Considering reinstalling Windows. Its about that time anyways ;)

Last edited:
By turning it on, do you mean waking it from sleep? If so, then you might need to untick some boxes under the network adapter properties, such as allowing the adapter to be powered off by windows. Might need to do the same under your power profile for PCIe.

By turning it on, do you mean waking it from sleep? If so, then you might need to untick some boxes under the network adapter properties, such as allowing the adapter to be powered off by windows. Might need to do the same under your power profile for PCIe.
Hey

No booting it from cold.
I'll try that when I get back home.

Otherwise I might just try putting it to sleep and wake it up, see if that works. It could be a possibility to use that aswell, since its just put away under my sofa when not used.

Other thoughts, have you tried deleting the wireless network and reconnecting? Other option, delete the wifi adapter under device manager and then on reboot Windows will reinstall the adapter (this will also delete any stored wifi networks). See if maybe that solves it.

Other thoughts, have you tried deleting the wireless network and reconnecting? Other option, delete the wifi adapter under device manager and then on reboot Windows will reinstall the adapter (this will also delete any stored wifi networks). See if maybe that solves it.

Tried deleting the networks, but with the same outcome.
Havent tried deleting the adaptor tho.. Played around with the settings when trying to get N up and running, so that might do the trick.
I'll add it to my "to do list" for when I get back home.

Everything seems great! ...Exept.. when I turn on my laptop it wont connect to my network. Neither automatic or manual. But after a restart it connects perfectly, every d*mn time! Anyone have any ideas about it?
Considering reinstalling Windows. Its about that time anyways ;)

If you're running Windows 7 this might help. Windows 7 accumulates every network you've ever attached to. Open network and sharing center. Click on the network icon. Mine is a park bench. At the bottom of the window click on the option to merge or delete networks. Delete all the old ones. This might help. I have no idea where this screen is in windows 8.