What's new

Intel AX200 and wifi 5Ghz Aimesh backhaule.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

octopus

Part of the Furniture
I have a stange problem with my Intel AX200 card and wpa2/wpa3-personal.

My setup is main router RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U as Aimesh router.
I use wifi backhaule with 5Ghz. Driver: 22.40.0.7

When I'm conected to main router (RT-AX86U) I get "right" speed, same as I pay fore.
But when connected to wifi 5Ghz (RT-AX58U) I get snail conection, like 500 k/bps.
I haven't tested with wired backhaule yet.

When I use LAN to Aimesh router it's working and I get "payed speed"

As soon I connect to main router I get "payed speed" I have tested couple of settings and can't find any significant improvement.

Someone have any suggestions to testing?

It is not the AX200 card or driver. It is the WIFI backhaul. The mesh node is spending half of its time transmitting and receiving to the client and the other half time receiving and transmitting to the root router.
There is nothing you can do to improve this other than using Ethernet backhaul. It is just a fact that WIFI extenders, single band WIFI mesh nodes and single band WIFI repeaters deliver half of the WIFI throughput. It was much more of a headache with G WIFI. AX is not a problem if you think quality and not quantity.

Edit: The AX58U only has 2x2 5 GHz radios whereas the AX86U has 4x4 5 GHz radios (4x4 equals 4 streams). I get faster transfers with an AC86U node @ 80 MHz.

Last edited:
It is not the AX200 card or driver. It is the WIFI backhaul. The mesh node is spending half of its time transmitting and receiving to the client and the other half time receiving and transmitting to the root router.
There is nothing you can do to improve this other than using Ethernet backhaul. It is just a fact that WIFI extenders, single band WIFI mesh nodes and single band WIFI repeaters deliver half of the WIFI throughput. It was much more of a headache with G WIFI. AX is not a problem if you think quality and not quantity.

Edit: The AX58U only has 2x2 5 GHz radios whereas the AX86U has 4x4 5 GHz radios (4x4 equals 4 streams). I get faster transfers with an AC86U node @ 80 MHz.
Okay, I have just tested with cable and It's working...... I'm still puzzled about that really sloow speed I get with 5Ghz backhaule.
I can agree AX200 working just fine with wpa2/wpa3-personal no problem there.

After a lot of testing I found what cause sloooow speed.
When using RT-AX86U with 4x4 streams (160Mhz) on master node and Aimesh node RT-AX58U with 2x2 streams (80Mhz) cause slow speed.
When changing to 2x2 streams 80Mhz on master node I get "payed speed" and everytnig working just fine.

I'm curious if someone have two RT-AX86U one master and one node on wifi bachhaule have correct speed with 4x4 streams and (160Mhz)

How are you testing the speed; what program(s), are you checking; device to internet (internet Speed Test, Ookla, etc) or across the Lan (iperf3, etc)?

How are you testing the speed; what program(s), are you checking; device to internet (internet Speed Test, Ookla, etc) or across the Lan (iperf3, etc)?
It's not speed itself just slowiness when use mixed streams in Aimesh node and wifi backhaul. Gets ~500 KB/s and
when its working as is should in my case 100 MB/s (paid speed). Just measured with fast.com.