What's new

Intermittent internet connection loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freeridr05

New Around Here
Hey there - thanks in advance for reading this and any help.

Setup: I have an ASUS AX86S running Skynet, Diversion, and Unbound.

Symptom: I've been experiencing intermittent internet connectivity loss - each bout lasts maybe a second and is primarily noticed when on video calls. My internet connection is otherwise super stable (fiber).

Maybe solution: I've disabled Skynet and it seems to be helping, but it hasn't been long enough to know for sure if this was the fix.

Question: Is there any reason to believe Skynet, Diversion, or Unbound would be causing these issues? If so, is there any configuration change I should look into making to continue using e.g. Skynet without causing these issues?

Thank you!

Hey there - thanks in advance for reading this and any help.

Setup: I have an ASUS AX86S running Skynet, Diversion, and Unbound.

Symptom: I've been experiencing intermittent internet connectivity loss - each bout lasts maybe a second and is primarily noticed when on video calls. My internet connection is otherwise super stable (fiber).

Maybe solution: I've disabled Skynet and it seems to be helping, but it hasn't been long enough to know for sure if this was the fix.

Question: Is there any reason to believe Skynet, Diversion, or Unbound would be causing these issues? If so, is there any configuration change I should look into making to continue using e.g. Skynet without causing these issues?

Thank you!
Pixelserv-tls and the Standard block list in combination!...(not likely)...... Skynet has blocked the wrong IP. (check skynet block logs while making calls to troubleshoot)..... or port issues with your video call services(maybe your router is having a hard time opening the right ports for your Video calls, thus the router temporarily appears as disconnected as it struggles to provide access to render video call services).

Thank you!
I've been using skynet for many years now, blocking at least 30 countries, and using about 20 different blocklists... and I have yet to come across any issue with intermittent connectivity loss due to it. The times when I did experience intermittent connectivity loss, it was due to an issue with my upstream internet provider (xfinity), but once I provided them with logs and proof, they quickly had the situation back under control.

The other scenario to add to the list above is perhaps there's an occasional burst of traffic that's spiking your bandwidth to the max, causing a short "outage" as this traffic has overruled all other. You may want to also look at traffic logs, and see if you notice any spikes. Also, keep an eye using the tools "top" or "htop" and seeing you you notice any service spiking and causing your router to hang just long enough to cause a short outage.

I've been using skynet for many years now, blocking at least 30 countries, and using about 20 different blocklists... and I have yet to come across any issue with intermittent connectivity loss due to it. The times when I did experience intermittent connectivity loss, it was due to an issue with my upstream internet provider (xfinity), but once I provided them with logs and proof, they quickly had the situation back under control.

The other scenario to add to the list above is perhaps there's an occasional burst of traffic that's spiking your bandwidth to the max, causing a short "outage" as this traffic has overruled all other. You may want to also look at traffic logs, and see if you notice any spikes. Also, keep an eye using the tools "top" or "htop" and seeing you you notice any service spiking and causing your router to hang just long enough to cause a short outage.
That definitely falls in line with my final suspicion as well. If the burst of traffic is causing what @Viktor Jaep mentions, then this is highly probable. Looking at it from strictly birds eye view, the only true way to know what is going on is to look at the appropriate logs whether it is skynet or diversion or just syslog and also examine htop, and/or top. Also, from @Viktor Jaep perspective, you definitely want a general knowledge of your overall traffic situation before and durring the time the connectivity loss is experienced.

Don't rule out the actual video connection (to whichever server you're connecting to) and/or any specific website you (or others on the network) may be visiting concurrently. Some sites just don't behave and may be causing these pauses.

This is my guess when the logs don't show anything relevant.

Not everything is under our control.

I checked skynet. I believed Cox ip was blocked. checked alienvault: then whitelisted it.

edit. Cox IP does not show in my whitelist, and I believe it's still being blocked. If I try to whitelist the IP again, skynet states there's already an entry for it.

Last edited:
I checked skynet. I believed Cox ip was blocked. checked alienvault: then whitelisted it.

edit. Cox IP does not show in my whitelist, and I believe it's still being blocked. If I try to whitelist the IP again, skynet states there's already an entry for it.
Are you hitting option 4 (whitelist), 7 (view entries), and 2 (manually added IPs)?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!