What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Test again with no custom scripts. I’ve read recently a post about YazFi causing some connection issues.
Yep, good memory...

Any possibility you can do the same for the GT-AX11000 to see if the dropping issue gets resolved by using different drivers?
I need to confirm whether this first one works properly before devoting time to preparing other models, sorry.

From initial tests, the first connectivity to the network is way faster than earlier, like in 386 5 2.
Was your issue only it took longer to connect, or was there actual stability issues after being connected?

Was your issue only it took longer to connect, or was there actual stability issues after being connected?

Actual stabillity in long-term.

Ok, so wireless backhaul seem to be de-graded in this WiFi driver (I am not sure if Im right at all, but worth mention):
In 386 5 2 I think it was the same, in 386 7 1 it was better for the wireless backhaul, which had the worse wifi drivers. (but clients were not stable).
In the AX88U I have as a wireless backhaul - the RSSI is -65 or so which in 386 7 1 was -59 or -60. same location.
Guess the driver improved the reception for backhaul a little bit in 386 7 1 (which included the other wifi driver) but clients did not enjoy it.
I rather have a degraded backhaul and stabilized connection untill Asus bring better wifi drivers.
FW is 386.7_1-gc8d0c5e6ca

Will give an update tomorrow once it is all properly working.
SO far, all my 35 clients are running as smooth as it gets for 1:34h.
Thank you once more
1658258426433.png

Yep, good memory...
Actually I was a little inaccurate in my previous post, YazFi is installed but not currently enabled on any of the guest networks.

I would reset the router to factory default and test with no 3rd party scripts involved. I don’t find it fair to report issues to RMerlin when router’s settings were altered by someone else.
Your opinion is noted. Although I would say so far I have described a symptom and am asking for input about whether others have experienced the same or possible causes. If we can determine likely cause, then that feedback may well be relevant to RMerlin, or it may not. We won't know until we learn a bit more.

Test again with no custom scripts. I’ve read recently a post about YazFi causing some connection issues.
Yeah, that was me.

I might have second thoughts about that comment of mine, I’ve since had grief with 386.7 + 386.7_1, wifi dropouts after 60+ hours of uptime, without YazFi.

Currently (again) trialling 386.7_1. All ok thus far @ 50+ hours…….

If/when that gives a problem, I’ll try the new AX88U test build. (RT-AX88U_386.7_1-gc8d0c5e6ca_ubi.w)
Fun times!:)

Last edited:
Yeah, that was me.

I might have second thoughts about that comment of mine, I’ve since had grief with 386.7 + 386.7_1, wifi dropouts after 60+ hours of uptime, without YazFi.

Currently (again) trialling 386.7_1. All ok thus far @ 50+ hours…….

If/when that gives a problem, I’ll try the new AX88U test build. (RT-AX88U_386.7_1-gc8d0c5e6ca_ubi.w)
Fun times!:)
happy for you.
On my side, still nothing to report since more than 27 days with the 386.7 firmware. NO SCRIPT - LAN/WAN/WIFI/VPN = stable.

happy for you.
On my side, still nothing to report since more than 27 days with the 386.7 firmware. NO SCRIPT - LAN/WAN/WIFI/VPN = stable.
Nice! I’m @ the 57 hour mark now with
RT-AX88U_386.7_1-gd1340bd88e_cferom_ubi.w

My experience has been wifi going intermittent @ 60+ hours.
I should know tomorrow if I need to give the latest AX88U test build a go……

the weird thing is, newest alfa's still contain the wifi-buggy GPL...

the weird thing is, newest alfa's still contain the wifi-buggy GPL...
If by "weird" you meant UNCOMMON then yeah, but...
-Rmerlin does not write the WiFi code. It's closed source code (so that's ASUS)
Over the last 5 years (@least & maybe longer) we Merlin users were treated & perhaps spoiled to firmware upgrades which were released VERY frequently yet maintained exceptional quality.
However, within the LAST year or so...
Certain circumstances forced ASUS to re-write a substantial amount of code.
I think it was done to appease TrendMicro, Broadcom & perhaps some others, regardless...
It's resulted in individualizing more portions of code.
Henceforth, making these components more "model-specific" & time-consuming to update.
IN short, the Major Software rewrite has been a bit of a BUMPY-Ride for Asus.
And we RMerlin users are used to...
Smooth-sailing
;-)

Nice! I’m @ the 57 hour mark now with
RT-AX88U_386.7_1-gd1340bd88e_cferom_ubi.w

My experience has been wifi going intermittent @ 60+ hours.
I should know tomorrow if I need to give the latest AX88U test build a go……
how does that compare to the connection lease time ?

25h or so the system is up and running using 386.7_1-gc8d0c5e6ca
Weekend is ahead of us so I can check better, but for now- it seems perfectly fine with wifi older drivers.

Over night the backhaul link stability got better a lot, got the same as before.
As it seems from the last day- it looooking good.

Thank you one more time!

1658343223457.png

Your opinion is noted. Although I would say so far I have described a symptom and am asking for input about whether others have experienced the same or possible causes. If we can determine likely cause, then that feedback may well be relevant to RMerlin, or it may not. We won't know until we learn a bit more.
Noticed a lot of admin login activity - every 30 secs or so. Disabled my HomeAssistant integration for the router, and will see how things go. Although that home assistant integration has been set up for several months and as far as I know has not caused the router to run out of resource before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!