What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you foresee having enough time to: Stuff the updated driver/SDK for the RT-AX86U into 386.7_2 ???
If it works, yes. It was one of the reasons I haven't released 386.7_2 yet as I wanted to see if obtaining a fixed driver was possible without requiring a new GPL.

It's not guaranteed to fix every single wifi issue, as some may be related to configuration, not the driver itself. This is most specifically related to connection stability, not to channel selection behaviour, which is handled by a different component.

However, there is currently an issue with the new driver as it switched to a UNII-4 band by default even tho the option to use it was not enabled. I would need to see if there's a temporary workaround.

1657896792703.png

Last edited:
I uploaded a test build to the test-builds folder on Onedrive if people want to give it a shot.

I'm waiting to hear back from Asus to determine if the fix I implemented to properly enable/disable UNII-4 channels was sufficient or if more changes are needed.

Slow Friday here so I installed the test build on my RT-AX86U right away. Running for 30 minutes so far.
No problems - no instability - however: I didn't see any concrete evidence of issues on 386.7 either so take this more as a 'the test build didn't break anything' response...

I uploaded a test build to the test-builds folder on Onedrive if people want to give it a shot.

I'm waiting to hear back from Asus to determine if the fix I implemented to properly enable/disable UNII-4 channels was sufficient or if more changes are needed.
Dirty flash over 387.0 - No issues so far on my RT-AX86U main router - 160Mhz is holding (not reverting to 80Mhz like before).
Will monitor over time and report back if any issues arise.

Dirty flash over 387.0 - No issues so far on my RT-AX86U main router - 160Mhz is holding (not reverting to 80Mhz like before).
Will monitor over time and report back if any issues arise.
Hmmmm very interesting, even somewhat surprising... considering RMerlin's recent comments above.
Gonna try installing it, remotely... (All of the family is out, Mwah-ha-ha !!!)
THX

EDIT: flashed latest test version & running fine so far....

Last edited:
Hmmmm very interesting, even somewhat surprising... considering RMerlin's recent comments above.
Gonna try installing it, remotely... (All of the family is out, Mwah-ha-ha !!!)
THX

I did not have discernible wifi connection losses under 387.0 - but did have 160 reverting to 80 ... with devices still happily connected - but ax losing some speed. Didn't particularly bother me ... but judging from many other reports of intermittent wifi issues I was contemplating giving latest stock a try. VERY relieved to see the Maestro bring the updated wifi driver into his test firmware. Drivers have different dates but same version numbers ???.

387.0 driver
ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - System Information.png

387.1_g8fd8deefbb driver
ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - System Information-v99.png

388 wont come for months, possibly not until next year for existing models.

I received an updated driver/SDK for the RT-AX86U, I haven't had time to test it yet.

As for the RT-AX88U, a new GPL is expected in the coming weeks to add support for a new SoC revision.
Sorry Merlin but could you explain the last line in Layman's terms?

Drivers have different dates but same version numbers ???.
The version would only change if there is an actual SDK update. Asus probably either just applied patches, or compiled with different settings.

Sorry Merlin but could you explain the last line in Layman's terms?
The wireless chip will be replaced with a new hardware revision in newer productions, and that revision will require an SDK update to support it. So, I'm expecting a new GPL archive for the RT-AX88U to be provided by the end of the month.

@Morpheus2020
So I think I can confirm what you are seeing.

I was in office with the work laptop on Wednesday and when I came home that afternoon and it reconnected to my network it has been on 80mhz since and never switched back to 160mhz.

The laptop is using this for a Nic

1657909875724.png

The wireless chip will be replaced with a new hardware revision in newer productions, and that revision will require an SDK update to support it. So, I'm expecting a new GPL archive for the RT-AX88U to be provided by the end of the month.
@RMerlin

I'm wondering when Asus is finally going to do a upgrade for the AX88U.
Maybe add a 2.5Gbps WAN port and another 2.5Gbps/1Gbps switchable LAN port like some of the newer models.
so like the GT-AX6000 but with 8 ports and non ROG styling.

Last edited:
Just a one-off question not related to this discussion - how do you add the footer texts to your posts (I've wondered that for ages but never got around to asking)?
Forum Post Footer.jpg

FYI... Just flashed the new 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb and I'm seeing a lot of high channels, so guess it's still "open".

brave_rVZ4FRBquh.png

UPDATE: This morning the channels are shown correct again. Maybe cached stuff in my browser or the router did some checking over night. Sorry...

Last edited:
I'm wondering when Asus is finally going to do a upgrade for the AX88U.
You have the RT-AX86U that adds a 2.5 Gbps port, the GT-AX6000 that adds two of them and the RT-AXE7800 that is tri-band and adds 2.5 Gbps.

so like the GT-AX6000 but with 8 ports and non ROG styling.
There's next to no market for an 8 ports router, since the majority of folks are going wireless, and you can just add a 20$ switch to add more ports.

FYI... Just flashed the new 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb and I'm seeing a lot of high channels, so guess it's still "open".
Yes, but I fixed the toggle that wasn't properly enabling/disabling them for automatic channel selection. No idea if they work however, I have no compatible client.

I also need to check with Asus as the 5 GHz firmware they sent me is from 2021. I need to check if it's intentional, or if I should replace it with the newer firmware image present in their recent firmware release and which is dated from 2022 and hides those channels.

You have the RT-AX86U that adds a 2.5 Gbps port, the GT-AX6000 that adds two of them and the RT-AXE7800 that is tri-band and adds 2.5 Gbps.

There's next to no market for an 8 ports router, since the majority of folks are going wireless, and you can just add a 20$ switch to add more ports.

The GT-AX6000 I like and I guess just adding a switch to that would work. I prefer that to the AX86U as one 2.5Gbps port wouldn't be enough need 1 for Wan then 2nd one for a NAS. And you are right adding a switch isn't a huge deal just for personal preference would like 8 on the router just one less point of failure.

And you are right adding a switch isn't a huge deal just for personal preference would like 8 on the router just one less point of failure.
Personally I see it the other way around. I prefer to plug all my devices to a switch, so if I need to reboot my router, it doesn't take my whole LAN down, only the Internet and Wifi.

Personally I see it the other way around. I prefer to plug all my devices to a switch, so if I need to reboot my router, it doesn't take my whole LAN down, only the Internet and Wifi.
That is a very good point didn't look at it from that angle.

I uploaded a second RT-AX86U test build, this one using the 5 GHz firmware from 386_49599. Please compare both.

RT-AX86U_386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb_49599.w

I uploaded a second RT-AX86U test build, this one using the 5 GHz firmware from 386_49599. Please compare both.
Flashed the new build 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb_49599. Didn't notice the 5 Ghz driver was dated July 2021, but now it looks like this...
Code:
386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb
wl0: Jul 15 2022 09:34:33 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)
wl1: Jul 20 2021 12:51:30 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046) FWID 01-7af76a99

386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb_49599
wl0: Jul 15 2022 09:34:33 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)
wl1: Jul 2 2022 12:07:27 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046) FWID 01-20737574