What's new

Internal vs. External Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NigelMcD

New Around Here
Hey great site, lots of info but I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question\issue.

I spend a fair amount of time connected to wireless networks in hotels when away on customer sites, of course the reception is not always that great so my question is:

Would I get a more reliable (speed not that much of an issue) connection if I used an external (USB or PC Card) wireless adapter instead of the in built Broadcom 802.11a/b/g adapter. The laptop is a HP NX6325.

Any recommendations on possible adapters would be much appreciated.

You might try using a USB adapter like the Engenius EUB-362, which has slightly higher power and the ability to use a higher-gain antenna.

Or something like the WiFi Link U-Tenna, basically a high-gain directional panel antenna with an embedded 802.11g adapter.

Thanks,

Your review of the EUB-362 does seem to backup my feeling that there is no easy answer.

Fancy antennas rather then higher power does look more useful but I think the price of (and size) of some of the units are prohibitive for the usage that I am after.

Has the buffalo WLI-CB-G54HP PCMICA card ever been tested? I never had issues with that High Power Wireless G Card always a strong signal with it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!