What's new

Internet Provider Throttling

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Found this on Spectrum Website.
So yes, Spectrum is managing and balancing your speeds. And there is nothing you can do, its part of their policy. Unless you want to take them to court and sue them, not much you can do.
I have a friend that is in that business and he said they do balance the speed out for all their customers when data is high. QS bandwidth Shaping it is called
So apparently this is a true statement (based on KGB's supporting data). But one wouldn't think we'd be hitting peak loads in the wee hours of the morning?

It's been a couple of days now. Any more drops in speed? Were you able to capture any additional data?

So apparently this is a true statement (based on KGB's supporting data). But one wouldn't think we'd be hitting peak loads in the wee hours of the morning?

It's been a couple of days now. Any more drops in speed? Were you able to capture any additional data?

Yes, last two mornings, between 5-7am internet dropped for several minutes, but not as long as the past. A few times earlier in the evening. I believe Spectrum guy that is the contract peron that handles problems is staying away from my questions and no one has provided an answer except one of the tech guys said it was the neighborhood up stream since all is pretty old, and the 3rd level first person who said I definitely showed a problem upstream, then, bam, everyone is quiet, will not return my calls. I have only used the traffic analyzer from Asus and it shows I have blips in the service. No matter what it shows Spectrum said they only go by their testing. Thanks for replying.

I am seeing an issue from time to time using Spectrum where video streaming pauses. It does not matter whether it is Hulu, Netflix, or Disney. It does not happen every day just sometimes. It occurs at no specific time of day. When video pauses I can still bring up web pages at normal speed. My wife can use her iPhone on wireless with no problems. So I don't know if it is outside Spectrum or Spectrum is slowing down video streaming only. I am leaning toward outside of Spectrum.

I can usually restart the video within minutes.

Last edited:
I am seeing an issue from time to time using Spectrum where video streaming pauses. It does not matter whether it is Hulu, Netflix, or Disney. It does not happen every day just sometimes. It occurs at no specific time of day. When video pauses I can still bring up web pages at normal speed. My wife can use her iPhone on wireless with no problems. So I don't know if it is outside Spectrum or Spectrum is slowing down video streaming only. I am leaning toward outside of Spectrum.

I can usually restart the video within minutes.

We have had problems with Disney, Chromecast and Amazon Prime Video. Prime started when they upgraded and I had to get a Firestick at no charge, in order to see certain movies per Amazon. I connected the Firestick and noticed I had problems, they said it was my internet provided. Don't you get tired of each party telling you it is the others fault! Netflix we have had no problems. Use not be so complicated. My smart TV is hardwired to my router, the Firestick and Chromecast my Asus shows them as wifi connected, I do not understand that as my TV is hardwired, and I set them up for that, but they show WIFI. I have roughly at times 15-21 items connected to my WIFI. 7 Nest cameras, 3 Nest Protects, and I have had those 3-4 years never had problems until a few months ago. Cameras will alert me as soon as WIFI is weak with a email or message from APP.

We have had problems with Disney, Chromecast and Amazon Prime Video. Prime started when they upgraded and I had to get a Firestick at no charge, in order to see certain movies per Amazon. I connected the Firestick and noticed I had problems, they said it was my internet provided. Don't you get tired of each party telling you it is the others fault! Netflix we have had no problems. Use not be so complicated. My smart TV is hardwired to my router, the Firestick and Chromecast my Asus shows them as wifi connected, I do not understand that as my TV is hardwired, and I set them up for that, but they show WIFI. I have roughly at times 15-21 items connected to my WIFI. 7 Nest cameras, 3 Nest Protects, and I have had those 3-4 years never had problems until a few months ago. Cameras will alert me as soon as WIFI is weak with a email or message from APP.

Im brain storming out loud, as to why speeds drops between 5-7am, unless Spectrum is doing major upgrade to their network on hardware side or software side. Or perhaps daily maintenance. But mainentance can be performed on daily basis incrementally with out hindering customers experience.

I get up between 4:30am and 7:30am, depending on the day of the week. But all I do in the AM is look at memes while I poop and listen to live stream FM radio, which uses very little data while I make breakfast.
I have an ATT 4G LTE hotspot as my home internet. And even in the busiest hours, when all my neighbors are at home, it barely slows down, even though my plan is part of network management based on how busy a tower is. I have +500 neighbors and my speeds never drop bellow 80Mbps. I live next to 2 shopping plazas(restaurants, shops, lots of customers and people , not all ATT customers), and next to main road in my county, that goes through 5 cities. Look up Rockville in MD and 355 road.

One thing I can think of, is Spectrum business customers, doing heavy data back ups at those hours. But for a business, its an odd time to perform any kind of backups. You want to do backs ups between 1am-4am, when no one is in the office, and while everyone is a sleep in your time zone. Unlike 90's or yearly 2000's, when every one heavy relied on local dedicated server with tape backups. Back when when 56k modems were still a thing.

Having that said, we also don't know if there are commercial/business customers (Google, Apple, etc) in a 5 mile radius outside of your home. Depending on a type of business, you could be living few miles away from a Data centers, that uses Spectrum as their sole backbone.

Im brainstorming out loud, trying to figure out as to why your speeds drop between 5-7am.

I don't know where you live and what's around you. I have no single answers, there is lack of information as to why Spectrum limits your data at specific hours.
In Ashburn, VA. there are a WHOLE LOT of data centers. You name a big boy company, they have a data center there. but I have no experience or knowledge , if Cox(cable internet) customers have internet issues.

You could sign up for T-Mobile 4G LTE home internet. $50 which includes all fees and taxes.
Another option is https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet

Last edited:
I have another update for my GT-AX11000. Last update may have caused problems. Have you tried to update your 11000? I believe you have that router also. I am waiting to talk to Asus. I have tried to contact Asus all week but the line is busy like it may have technical problems, or since everyone seems to be working from home and have found out the internet is being swamped in the neighborhoods. I emailed them today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!