What's new

Internet status: Disconnected bug in 386.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Same observation here, I never had this disconnection problem with my AX88U.
I am currently using the 386.5_2 version and I am well connected.
This latest version works wonderfully well.

I also don't think this is connected with problem that this device on eth4 goes to sleep or power saving.

Code:
Apr  2 08:38:22 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Apr  2 08:38:24 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Apr  2 08:38:32 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Apr  2 08:38:42 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Apr  2 08:46:03 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Apr  2 08:46:05 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Apr  2 08:46:13 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link DOWN.
Apr  2 08:46:23 kernel: eth4 (Ext switch port: 3) (Logical Port: 11) (phyId: b) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

It looks like that I figured out a solution/workaround...

Go to administration > system
At 'Network Monitoring' enable 'dns query'
Set 'Resolve Hostname' to 1.1.1.1
Set 'Resolved IP Addresses' to 1.1.1.1
Click 'Apply' on the bottom of the screen
At 'Network Monitoring' disable 'dns query'
Click 'Apply' on the bottom of the screen
Tick 'reboot' on top of the screen

Strange but true... Just enable 'dns query' and disable it again exactly like the above steps.. and the problem is gone... which is strange because according to GUI settings, all settings are turned back as they were before... so no changes should be expected in the behaviour of showing 'disconnected'...
Confirming similar situation with stock ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46065 (2022/01/12) on RT-AX88U. Very vanilla setup, no VPNs, etc. with a 1Gb/s WAN connection to a fiber modem.

After what I think was a legitimate, but short, ISP outage the internet LED turned red and the GUI reported no internet connection. Despite this, all wired and wireless clients were able to access the internet. The problem was persistent and spanned several reboots (from the GUI) as well as several power cycles over the span of several hours. The Administration -> System -> Network Monitoring setting was set to "Ping" "google.com".

Similar to the suggestion above I set network monitoring to "DNS Query" using hostname "dns.google" and resolved IP address "8.8.8.8" (you must specify both the hostname and the IP the resolution should be checked against). Following this the internet connection almost immediately reverted to "connected" and the LED light went white (i.e. normal).

I then did the same as Dimmie above, i.e. reverted everything back to the original state (i.e. ping of google.com) and the problem STAYED fixed, despite all settings now having the same values as when the system was showing "disconnected". Weird.

Based on this, my assumption is that there is a bug in the connection status code which can result in the status getting "stuck" in the disconnected state. Switching between ping and DNS seems to "unstick" it, and after that it works okay (until next time?).

After verifying that Ping now worked as well, I changed my unit back to DNS query again and left it that way in the hopes that perhaps this protocol won't be subject to the "sticking" problem.

If anyone from ASUS (or the Merlin!) reads this, confirmation of this "sticking status" issue and a fix would be much appreciated!

Confirmed fix for me too. RT-AX88u, Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5-2; Mullvad OpenVPN running on the router.

The thread is a week old but just noticed the same "Internet status - Disconnected" though working error message. Have a RT-AX86U. Any further info on this error or is everyone just ignoring it?

The thread is a week old but just noticed the same "Internet status - Disconnected" though working error message. Have a RT-AX86U. Any further info on this error or is everyone just ignoring it?
Did you try any of the solutions mentioned in this thread?

I used iTyPsIDg's solution/suggestion (#15 message in this thread) and it has worked fine. Wasn't really worried about a solution but was rather quite interested in the causation. Thanks

I used iTyPsIDg's solution/suggestion (#15 message in this thread) and it has worked fine. Wasn't really worried about a solution but was rather quite interested in the causation. Thanks
I believe the problem occurs when the router attempts to ping a DNS name to verify connectivity. The problem with this method is that it depends on DNS and internet access, rather than just internet access.

I believe the problem occurs when the router attempts to ping a DNS name to verify connectivity. The problem with this method is that it depends on DNS and internet access, rather than just internet access.
That would make sense. It is interesting that, reflecting upon prior comments in this thread, the DNS names I'm using are NordVPN DNS servers.

Running Merlin 386.5 with Nordvpn and Nordvpn DNS fine ever since the office firmware update, then suddenly had this exact same WAN disconnect with internet working problem with my AX86U.

I was playing around with the Dual WAN with Android USB tethering as secondary WAN just to test if my backup internet setup is working properly. After removing the Secondary WAN back to the primary WAN, then this primary WAN disconnected with internet working problem showed up. Probably some how related.

The red led on the Router WAN was driving me crazy, followed procedure in post #12 solved the problem.

Glad to know that im not the only one. :/
My RT-AX88U is loosing the WAN IP a couple of times each day. Every time it is solved by rebooting the router.
In WAN settings the "Connect to DNS Server automatically" was set to "YES" ...
Changed it to "No" and used the Google DNS aka 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 and WAN IP showed up again...

Edit: Chaning the DNS servers to Google made my connection REALLY slow.. Dont know why ... So I reverted it back to "YES" ...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!