What's new

Internet Status: Disconnected?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, but I don't know the answer either.

If it's just a benign flag that is set wrong, it could be simply coded to be ignored.

If it has the potential to affect something in the future with more severe consequences, it should be properly addressed (i.e. on affected routers, it should flash a CFE with the proper flags set).

Either way, I feel this is something that RMerlin may also address with the first 'fix'. At least temporarily, for now. :)

Just wanted to come back and provide info for my situation. FYI, it seems that the issue is resolved for me.

I was still having the issue of having the WAN disconnect until up to about 3 weeks ago. Then, the internet connection went down. This time, I was unable to bring it back up. The lights on my cable modem were odd and didn't correct even with a hard power off/on. I called support for my ISP. They did a factory reset of the modem and also noticed there were odd line levels...didn't give me any specific details. They set up a service call with the cable company. Appointment for service the next day and the tech showed up on time.

It was interesting. The tech checked a couple of things and said about 99.9% of the time, the issue was what he found at my location. He checked the cable going into the cable modem and found the issue. The copper core was blackened. He snipped the end and replaced it. He also did the same to the internet cable near my fuse box in the basement...I have my cable modem near my router in the den. I have a straight-through cable connector near my fuse box. He added a small round inline filter that is about 1-2 inches in length and used what seemed to be better straight-through connectors. I'm assuming it's some kind of noise filter. It doesn't have any markings other than a white strip around it with the digit "3" repeated several times.

So, what I was assuming was some kind of software issue ended up being a hardware issue. I guess the noise was causing the dropped connections.

I don't know if something like this is possible with DSL, but I don't see why something similar may not happen to DSL cables/connections. I'm not suggesting this is everyone's issue, but don't rule something like this out. It doesn't hurt to call your ISP support to have them check your line. It's easy for them to check remotely. My ISP resells cable from a large cable company, Rogers in my case.

FYI, it's been about 3 weeks since this was done and I haven't experienced the internet connection going down since then. I also noticed that some of the tool graphs have shown better or more consistent values for things such as ping, jitter, etc

Thanks for correcting me.

What do you think is the most plausable sollution asus would do to fix the issue?

Asus chose to deliberately disable features for devices with this flag set. That was not an accident, it was intended.

I haven't heard any mention if Asus intended to deliberately disable *user* devices.
Or if it was them debugging using a setting they believed had no user impact.

Asus can undo this with ease but it is a question of their motives for if they will.

Last edited:
the cfe flag can be easily updated by 2 commands. I don't know if they want it posted though as the last guy who posted it had his comment removed.
I didn't remove it, it has been deleted (probably by some admin).
Dont know why, they dont allow to alter any cfe setting, either to correct something or use it for other purposes - some kind of paranoiac.
But I think I posted wrong command anyway as they are case sensitive and should be ...ATEMODE... instead of atemode.

Last edited:
Dont know why, they dont allow to alter any cfe setting

Discussions on how to modify the CFE content is forbidden on these forums, because it can easily be used to bypass regulatory requirements.

Just chiming in; my ATEMODE is 0. And none of the fixes mentioned so far made any difference. (any of the various LAN monitoring options, etc.)

Did you alter the cfe before? @AppleBag
Have you made a full system reset with the 384.14_2 installed?

Did a fallback of firmware do any differance?

Did you reboot the internet modem?

Have you tried to change wan ethernet cable to a fresh one?

Does internet work despite the diconected message?

Long shot: Have you tried an other browser? Or reset the internet cache in your browser?
Jonas

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Did you alter the cfe before? @AppleBag
Have you made a full system reset with the 384.14_2 installed?

Did a fallback of firmware do any differance?

Did you reboot the internet modem?

Have you tried to change wan ethernet cable to a fresh one?

Does internet work despite the diconected message?

Long shot: Have you tried an other browser? Or reset the internet cache in your browser?
Jonas

Hi Jonas

Lessee ...

• I've never manually altered the cfe (I've never even heard of ATEMODE until this thread. :) or even the "cfe" before this)
  • I just install 384.14_2 last night. Before that I had 384.14 of which I had done a full "set to default" after installing it.
  • I haven't tried a firmware fallback, as this has been an issues going back several versions, I figure there's no real reason for the hassle of trying it.
  • I have done a full power cycle of both my router and modem.
  • I have not tried a different ethernet cable, but this is a pretty new cat 7 cable that I'm using. I guess I can give that a try later, but I'm thinking based on the other posts, it might not be the issue, but still, can't hurt to try!
  • The internet does work in spite of the disconnected message. Though with things like this, it's hard to tell if something may be going on behind the scenes that hard to detect; like a lot of dropped packets, etc. Although now that I think about it, I do seem to get the "high latency" icons in games fairly often, in spite of having a high end computer, high end router, and fast internet connection? Hmmm.
  • I have also tried the long shots. :)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Hi Jonas

Lessee ...

• I've never manually altered the cfe (I've never even heard of ATEMODE until this thread. :) or even the "cfe" before this)
  • I just install 384.14_2 last night. Before that I had 384.14 of which I had done a full "set to default" after installing it.
  • I haven't tried a firmware fallback, as this has been an issues going back several versions, I figure there's no real reason for the hassle of trying it.
  • I have done a full power cycle of both my router and modem.
  • I have not tried a different ethernet cable, but this is a pretty new cat 7 cable that I'm using. I guess I can give that a try later, but I'm thinking based on the other posts, it might not be the issue, but still, can't hurt to try!
  • The internet does work in spite of the disconnected message. Though with things like this, it's hard to tell if something may be going on behind the scenes that hard to detect; like a lot of dropped packets, etc. Although now that I think about it, I do seem to get the "high latency" icons in games fairly often, in spite of having a high end computer, high end router, and fast internet connection? Hmmm.
  • I have also tried the long shots. :)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
Hi..

You have done a great deal here.

I'm not a router or unix savvy but I can read and copy.
So just to rule it out.

If you have ssh enabled then you could try running: "wanduck &"

It helped my problem with disconnected internet. I put it in a script. (It was a temp sollution though)

Is the wan led on the front, blue or is it blinking both blue and red as mine did?

It seems you got simmilar symptoms but with different conditions. This is way abow my head.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I didn't remove it, it has been deleted (probably by some admin).
Dont know why, they dont allow to alter any cfe setting, either to correct something or use it for other purposes - some kind of paranoiac.
But I think I posted wrong command anyway as they are case sensitive and should be ...ATEMODE... instead of atemode.

Had the disconnect issue on my AC68 modd el router and after revewing this post, it seems the kulprit was that ATEMODE=1.
So decided to follw Puff the Magic Dragon all the way to the UK for what Changes For Ever settings could be made.
Much appreciated #85 ... very helpful profile and forum!

Hi I have a RT-AC86U with 3.0.0.4.386_41634 firmware version.

I've the Internet Status problem, de UI show for a few second that the WAN is connected but then stay in Disconnected status, but all device continues with inet access.

I've tried to change my ISP DNS for Google DNS but nothing happened, I've changed the NTP from ping to DNS Query, and disable both, a the status continues Disconnected.

I read something about ATEMODE but I don't know how to check it.

The system log not show nothing important.

Could you help to solve my problem?
Thanks

Regards

Welcome to the forums @afreire. You may be posting in the wrong forum though.

Any reason you are not using RMerlin's 386.1 release based on a later (fixed) 41700 codebase?

When was the last time you did a full reset on your router? Without importing old backup config files. Or 'blindly' putting in settings and/or enabling options/scripts that worked 'once' before.

Welcome to the forums @afreire. You may be posting in the wrong forum though.

Any reason you are not using RMerlin's 386.1 release based on a later (fixed) 41700 codebase?

When was the last time you did a full reset on your router? Without importing old backup config files. Or 'blindly' putting in settings and/or enabling options/scripts that worked 'once' before.
Hi, the firmware was the last version that can download form Asus.

I made a full reset today and I reconfigured all settings manually.

@RMerlin (2) Internet Status: Disconnected? | Page 2 | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com) #39

"
I don't have any information as to atemode itself, but I may have a few theories as to why some people may have it set to 1:

- Possible bug with the CFE upgrade done by the firmware for the RT-AC68U
- People flashing a CFE obtained from some random website
- Perhaps Asus accidentally shipped a few batches with atemode left to 1
- Maybe a specific piece of code in the firmware is supposed to clear that flag on a certain situation, and that code isn't doing it as expected

Only someone from Asus would know since everything surrounding atemode is considered proprietary and confidential."

What is atemode and why can it cause buggy behavior ? @RMerlin mentions it could be possibly bug on asus side how do i determine if my atemode is in proper mode for asus rt-ac86u?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!