What's new

Iperf speed tests with RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewizard1241

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Okay so i ran an Iperf speed test on my phone using 5ghz network. The iperf server is running on a gaming laptop with a wifi card (AC-7265), I have it a short distance away from the router and connected via cat 6 ethernet cable. Im getting 1GB connection between laptop and router hard wired.

I connected my iPhone XS the 5GHZ band and max out at 410Mbps using Iperf standing right next to the router. Then again about 120cm apart, same results.

My question is, is this normal speeds?

I then connected my laptop via 5ghz to the router. And i checked the network speeds within control panel > networking. It maxes out 866mbps even being right next to the router, is this normal?

Ive set the control channel to a non crowded one for each bands.

Cheers

Your clients connect at 2x2 AC or 866Mbps max link speed. Real life throughput is roughly 50% of the link speed. Looks normal to me.

What command line options are using using with iperf? I noticed better results over wireless by adding -w 4M. I was able to get iperf speeds in the mid 600's between my Pixel 3 (2x2 AC) via wifi and a computer via ethernet.

Edit: I was using iPerf3 by the way.

What command line options are using using with iperf? I noticed better results over wireless by adding -w 4M. I was able to get iperf speeds in the mid 600's between my Pixel 3 (2x2 AC) via wifi and a computer via ethernet.

Edit: I was using iPerf3 by the way.

I was simply using the command iPerf3 -s for the server side

Sadly i dont have another laptop to test so i just used the phone app

I used the Magic iPerf app on my Android phone and the Windows executable on my computer. I tested both ways by running the server on the computer and then the phone. There is a command line option for the client to run the test in both directions but it seemed to give me lower results than actually switching which device the server was running on. My full client command line was iperf3 -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -O5 -i 5 -w 4M -t 30. I just ran some test on my Pixel 4 XL and was in the mid 500's. I just ran a test between my Pixel 4 and my Pixel 3a and only saw around 250 Mbps.

Hi,

Okay so i ran an Iperf speed test on my phone using 5ghz network. The iperf server is running on a gaming laptop with a wifi card (AC-7265), I have it a short distance away from the router and connected via cat 6 ethernet cable. Im getting 1GB connection between laptop and router hard wired.

I connected my iPhone XS the 5GHZ band and max out at 410Mbps using Iperf standing right next to the router. Then again about 120cm apart, same results.

My question is, is this normal speeds?

I then connected my laptop via 5ghz to the router. And i checked the network speeds within control panel > networking. It maxes out 866mbps even being right next to the router, is this normal?

Ive set the control channel to a non crowded one for each bands.

Cheers

Hello

First of all be happy with your results !!

When I do a Cat6 wire connection between ASUS AC68u and my Laptop,I never get more then 750 in Download, but around 930 in upload.

When I connect a OnePlus 7 I get only around 200 in Download but 520 in upload 1 meter away form router (5GHz).

Im pretty unhappy with this performance...

How are you testing the wired speed to the laptop? I was able to get 940 Mbps with my 68U both up and down.

How are you testing the wired speed to the laptop? I was able to get 940 Mbps with my 68U both up and down.

Fiberbox --> Asus RT-AC68u --> Laptop 750/930

Both connections are with CAT6 cables. If I do the same setup with same cables, and the router from my internet provider, I get more or less 930/930.

Fiberbox --> Icotera i4850 (From internet provider) --> Laptop 930/930..

Firmware: 3.0.0.4.385_20632

Last edited:
Is your connection PPPoE? I've heard that can slow things down although that was a while ago and may not be valid anymore.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!