What's new

iptables script

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zubbs1

Occasional Visitor
I know just enough to accidentally do very terrible things to my system, but I follow directions very well. :D

I have an Asus RT-AC68U router flashed to merlin firmware version RT-AC68U_380.66_4
I want to insert an iptables script to automatically set the TTL value to 65 for all connected devices.

In Ubuntu, I know the command to set the TTL to 65 for my system, which I have successfully done.

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65

If the same holds true for the script I need to insert to the router, then I believe it would look something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

I have read over the wiki for merlin on the github:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/User-scripts

What I cannot discern is how to actually interact with the jss partition in order to place a script there? That github page states to ensure your script is executable with a chmod command:
Code:
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

Where do I insert this command?

So far I have formatted the JSS partition and rebooted the router.

I need to know if my script above is sufficient to achieve what I want, the particulars on how to get it where it needs to go, and how to ensure its executable.

I really appreciate any help on this.

Cheers.

. :)

Have a look at Martineau's excellent guide for starters. Follow his link at:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...cessing-the-internet.29693/page-3#post-329598

Thank you for this. I have made some progress. I am now able to use Winscp to login to the /jffs/scripts directory and run my script. However, my script is faulty:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

Which gives the following error:
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

I am trying to troubleshoot, poorly I'm sure, and wanted to see what chains there were, so added a chin list command:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -S

Here is the output in the terminal for
Code:
./SetTTL65.sh init

/jffs/scripts$ ./SetTTL65.sh init
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD DROP
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-N FUPNP
-N NSFW
-N PControls
-N SECURITY
-N SECURITY_PROTECT
-N SSHBFP
-N logaccept
-N logdrop
-A INPUT -i usb0 -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 22 -j SECURITY_PROTECT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport --dports 23 -j SECURITY_PROTECT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
-A INPUT -i br0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i usb0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j SSHBFP
-A INPUT -p icmp -m icmp ! --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j DROP
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
-A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD ! -i br0 -o usb0 -j DROP
-A FORWARD -i usb0 -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -j NSFW
-A FORWARD -m conntrack --ctstate DNAT -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -j ACCEPT
-A PControls -j ACCEPT
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j DROP
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK RST -j DROP
-A SECURITY -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -m limit --limit 1/sec -j RETURN
-A SECURITY -p icmp -m icmp --icmp-type 8 -j DROP
-A SECURITY -j RETURN
-A SSHBFP -m recent --set --name SSH --rsource
-A SSHBFP -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --name SSH --rsource -j DROP
-A SSHBFP -j ACCEPT
-A logaccept -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "ACCEPT " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logaccept -j ACCEPT
-A logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logdrop -j DROP
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

I'm really out of my element here. Do I have to attach my command somehow to one of the defined chains (INPUT, FORWARD, SECURITY, etc.)?

Cheers.

The TTL chain isn't included by default in the code....you have to do at the start of your script (one is ipv4, the other ipv6, I forget which)

insmod xt_HL
insmod xt_hl

The TTL chain isn't included by default in the code....you have to do at the start of your script (one is ipv4, the other ipv6, I forget which)

insmod xt_HL
insmod xt_hl

I included both in my new script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Set all outgoing TTL values to 65
insmod xt_HL
insmod xt_hl

I am now getting this error:
/jffs/scripts$ ./SetTTL65.sh init
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter/xt_HL.ko': File exists
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter/xt_hl.ko': File exists

Before I read your response, I found an old post and tried the advice:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ttl-modify-using-iptables-t-mangle.21633/#post-156721

Code:
admin@ASUS:/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter# modprobe  xt_HL
admin@ASUS:/lib/modules/2.6.36.4brcmarm/kernel/net/netfilter# cat /proc/net/ip_tables_targets
NOTRACK
NFLOG
CLASSIFY
CONNMARK
MARK
TTL
TRIGGER
REJECT
MASQUERADE
LOG
DNAT
SNAT
ERROR
TCPMSS
TOS
DSCP

I then rebooted the router and still got the same error about the no chain/target/match etc. (Just in case this somehow altered what your commands did since I did this before the insmod commands were tried).

I am now getting this error:

That just means its already loaded (as it was loaded the first time you ran the command), to silence this error in future change the lines to;

Code:
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl

I also prefer using modprobe, its "smarter" in the sense it can load dependencies and I found cases with my own iptables scripts that the insmod command sometimes fails if called too early during boot.

That just means its already loaded (as it was loaded the first time you ran the command), to silence this error in future change the lines to;

Code:
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl

I also prefer using modprobe, its "smarter" in the sense it can load dependencies and I found cases with my own iptables scripts that the insmod command sometimes fails if called too early during boot.

That did it! I now have everything working as I wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers.

That did it! I now have everything working as I wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers.

After seeming to work, I noticed a problem. My system is a dual Ubuntu/Windows 10 box. In Ubuntu, it does fine, the ping spits out a ttl=65. However, when booted into Windows 10, the ttl is locked at 128 (the default value I believe). I lost power last night, and was worried it somehow corrupted my script or something, but when I booted back into Ubuntu to double check, it works fine again.

Anyone have any idea why it isn't working on the Windows 10 side?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!